SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 01:12:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone see this 7up machine?  (Read 13557 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:29 am »

It makes me wonder why it's O.K. to paint a Stoner or any other of the various machines out there any color you want, but God forbid you change the color of a soda machine wow.  Wern't the original 7Ups, of this era, white???  So in that case all the 1950's 7up machines should be restored white?Huh??  Even if the 7up green color looks better??? tounge

If you are buying and selling major brand machines, O.K.  I would agree that it would be wise to stick to the products colors.  Wait a second.....does that mean that all Dr, Pepper machines have to now be painted maroon instead of mint green?? 

A lot of stuff.
scoccermom

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »

I think personally that 90% of collectors would repaint it.

The seller selected turquoise prior to listing on Ebay. Maybe it was leftover paint.

Whatever floats his boat. Cool
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:14 pm »

I like the color, just not on a 7 Up machine.  Shrug, jist my opinion. that and a buck and a half will get you a liter bottle of Coke

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »

I think his choice of color is going to cost him a lot of potential bids. Bad decision!

Glen
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »

At the price's he's  asking, only a hardcore fan would pay that kind of money.  Also, I think they would want it to be what the  current known and accepted standard is for that machine   .......me personally  I like it

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
cokemachinesandmore
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

rayg hit it right on the head, its not right or wrong to paint a machine a different color,
the  current known and accepted standard is for that machine
is what most buyers/collectors base it on.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 04:41:46 pm »

Maybe it was leftover paint.

After looking at his website, that is what I thought.  The guy has some nice auto restoration and it looks like he does good work.  I like the color but to me it does not fit the machine.  Tropical Turquoise looks great on a 50's car but not the 7-Up machine.  Personally, if I was lucky enough to land a 7-Up 81, I would go with all white except the logo.  I like the green and white machines as well but I prefer to keep things original if at all possible.

drinking Tim drinking
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 06:20:24 pm »

If I were going to bid, I would have to take into account the cost to strip and repaint. I wouldn't be able to display it like it is.
Does the main door gasket look funny to anyone else? Why doesn't it cover the screw heads?
Also, I can see an evaporator, but no sign of a compressor??

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »

Yes all white isn't the best looking color but, its whats original. To any real collector, originality is everything. It's like slapping on a red paint job on a shelby that wasn't originally red, yea it looks dang good but its not right and makes you wonder its authenticity. If your gonna pay good money for a machine, wouldn't you want it right?
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:13 pm »

If I were going to bid, I would have to take into account the cost to strip and repaint. I wouldn't be able to display it like it is.
Does the main door gasket look funny to anyone else? Why doesn't it cover the screw heads?
Also, I can see an evaporator, but no sign of a compressor??
Exactly my thoughts Tom, assuming the body work was done correctly and it's not filled with bondo all over the place, you have to take selling price plus at least another 1500 or so to strip prep and repaint properly.. yes I agree it's the wrong door gasket and hmmm wonder if the selling price includes a cooling unit?  and why not zinc or at least clean up paint or polish or powder coat the main door handle and locking latches.. if you go through soo much trouble restoring the coin mech, in my book you gotta do the rest? but maybe that is just my expectations for a correct restoration..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: