SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 09:41:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coca Cola sign causes trouble  (Read 11490 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »

"Feb. 23: Richard Modolo stands in front of a Coca-Cola sign that was painted on the side of his house decades ago when his home was the site of a mom-and-pop grocery store, in San Francisco. City officials say the painted sign in the Bernal Heights neighborhood violates anti-billboard laws and must come down. (AP/San Francisco Chronicle)

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/25/vintage-coca-cola-sign-causes-stir-san-francisco  "

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »

I'm sure there is more to this story than this article shares. By looking at the picture, it is pretty obvious that the sign has been repainted. It may not have been as obvious before, so maybe it is being considered a "new" billboard? What is even more goofy to me is that some want it removed because it promotes obesity...but then again, it is San Francisco.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

What is even more goofy to me is that some want it removed because it promotes obesity...

So Coca Cola should not advertise in print, radio or TV? Or Hershey or....?
When will people start taking responsibility for themselves by making the right eating, drinking and activity choices rather than blame products for the way they look. Coke is not the demon making you fat...look in the mirror!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:32:30 am »

So what do you expect from the land of nuts and fruits (pun intended). biggrin

A lot of stuff.
flippa
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:47:58 am »

What is even more goofy to me is that some want it removed because it promotes obesity....

So it is Coca Cola's fault that I am fat!  I knew it was someone else's fault!!!!!   

I have to show this to my wife to show her that my fatness is the responsibility of the Coca Cola Corporation!!!!     tounge
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »

I have trouble with the city if I post a sign promoting my automotive buisness without a permit, but never hear a word from them about my original porcelin Coca Cola signs. I'm quite sure it's because the tourists love them!

Glen
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 01:43:42 pm »

So Coca Cola should not advertise in print, radio or TV? Or Hershey or....?
When will people start taking responsibility for themselves by making the right eating, drinking and activity choices rather than blame products for the way they look. Coke is not the demon making you fat...look in the mirror!

I agree.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »

So what else did you expect a bunch on anal-retentive, ether-sniffing liberal jack-asses to declare? (No pun intended insofar as this being debated in San Francisco...IE: anal-retentive, it's just a discovered irony.)  tounge

Tell us how you really feel Johnie!  happydrinkers laugh happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »

Tell us how you really feel Johnie!  happydrinkers laugh happydrinkers

drinking Tim drinking

Naw I couldn't, I'm just too shy... blush

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
FRESNO MAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 08:07:51 pm »

So this is how we're viewed in California? wow It would be nice to just concentrate on the hobby and to just have fun and leave political views/attacks out of the forum hopefull This has always been one of the places I can get away from that  censored be it left, right or somewhere in between. Cheers to all! drinking
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 10:14:34 pm »

I guess there is a little truth to the title of this thread!   Oo

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:13 pm »

Agree Fresno Man,
San Fran is one of the finest cities in the world. Ever been there?
The "Elbow Room" bar in Fresno is a favorite. Been all over this country and it is all good.
No need for outdated generalizations on a soda machine board.
Hope we can move on to more interesting topics.
Creighton

johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 11:09:50 pm »

So this is how we're viewed in California? wow It would be nice to just concentrate on the hobby and to just have fun and leave political views/attacks out of the forum hopefull This has always been one of the places I can get away from that  censored be it left, right or somewhere in between. Cheers to all! drinking

Sorry , just poking fun at "the man" & If by "how we're viewed" you mean the "City officials", then yes, they reflect quite poorly on the subject of personal property rights, I used to work for a company based out of San Francisco &  they'll force you to paint your period home a "correct" color, in the name of preserving the past, but selectively assassinate the contributors to that past culture, be they commercial or private in nature...    He ( the owner of the property) has restored a piece of the past, they should sit back & enjoy the view.  as we say in Detroit...they dragged it into our house..to me, it offends the very nature of our hobby interests.

Now I have to get off my little soap box, as I have to get back to reality ...but have some fun while you're out here folks.  tounge

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 11:58:14 pm »

I don't agree.  It's all in fun.  If you want to make fun of me or my town and it will make you smile...,.go for it.  Political correctness is lame.  Don't be so thinned skinned.  You shouldn't be forced to conform to anything.  If the sign was there for years, so be it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:26:42 am by johnieG » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Zach
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:14:16 pm »

Whatever happened to freedom of the press? They already tried taking God out of the pledge. Next they'll try to get rid of the right to bare arms. If you see a billboard you don't like, then don't look at it. You have the right to do that, well they'll probably try to get rid of that too. If you don' stand for something then you will fall for anything. I'm sick of a handful of people ruining it for the rest of us. Some peoples children, I swear. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:17:27 pm by motoman14 » Logged
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »

As much as I like nostalgia, I don't think I'd like the idea of my neighbor painting, or repainting a billboard sign on the side of the house.
I als o think there is more to this story

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:50:31 am »

As far as simalarities between Fresno and San Fran......

They are both in California. That's about it.

I'm originally from Palo Alto which is about 45 minutes south of "The City" AKA: San Francisco. Just like any other big city, it has it's fair share of problems.

I had to put up with all sort of trash talking about where I was from and just sort of got used to it over the years. Imagine being in Boot Camp and the Company Commander asks you directly where you are from in front of the entire compnay knowing full well where I was actually from.

I told him "Palo Alto" and he replied "Never heard of it, name a BIGGER city that you live near you dumb@#!" So... I said "San Jose" again, he replied "Never heard of it, name a BIGGER city that you live near you ##$@#@!#$"  The next words out of my mouth was "San Francisco" and they loved that.....they spent the next 5 minutes educating me and the other 190 guys standing at attention about San Francisco and it's "problems"

I sure could go for a sourdough bread bowl filled with some fresh clam chowder right about now!! San Fran is great place to visit, lot's of good places to go and TONS of history!!

Brian
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:58:12 am »

San Fran is great place to visit, lot's of good places to go and TONS of history!!

I agree with that, I just wouldn't want to live there.  If I was moving to sunny CA and I had the coin, I would head to Balboa Island or Newport Beach.  San Diego is very nice as well.

drinking Tim drinking
FRESNO MAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 11:20:57 am »

I must say Fresno is a pretty darn good place to live; it's right between the Bay Area and LA In an hour and a half one can be in Yosemite or go skiing and in two and half hours you can be wiggling your toes in the sand at the beach on the central coast.

But the best thing about Fresno...is that this is where the Soda Jerk resides (Steve Jebb). biggrin He and Sharon are the nicest people you could meet and have helped me immeasurably with my restorations. Imagine my surprise and good fortune to discover that valuable resource in my own backyard!  biggrin When I got into this hobby, I had forgotten that the Vendorlator factory was in Pinedale (merging with with Fresno long ago) and that I used to ride my bike around that area when I was a just a little shaver. All that remains now is the water tower.

Here's to a great hobby and everyone at this forum who enjoys the passion of collecting and restoring these great machines and what I consider to be works of art! drinking
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

Agreed!  Cheers! drinking

A lot of stuff.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »

A good friend of our family built a huge 12 car garage in his side yard and painted one side to look like the old Mailpouch Tobacco barns. I think it looks killer and he has never had problems from the neighbors. In his case you would think he would have more problems with the garages as he has an 18 car garage in the back yard Smiley With three cars on the house he has space for 33 cars Smiley
FRESNO MAN
10 Cent Member

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:26 pm »

Ah yes, Mailpouch Tobacco barns! There's one in an advanced state of decal visible from Freeway 99 between Fresno and Merced. The artwork is on the slanted roof and not the side. Always thought it would look great repainted!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:03 pm »

There use to be a pristine original Mailpouch barn across the street from my elementary school and they made them repaint it when they issued the ban on tobacco advertisements within so many feet from school property. Even the school fought to save it since the company was out of business and it was a landmark from the past and they still made them paint over the barn. We had some professional pictures taken with our 57 chevy's in front of it before they painted them and the pictures were published in Bow tie Chevy and Classic Chevy international magazine. At least we did something to save the memory of the barn before it was destroyed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: