SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 11:44:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civil Defense collection  (Read 12486 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 07:56:57 pm »

Thats a pretty neat site. I now know where to go for decals if I ever need some. Here is another neat civil defense site. I like the siren section he has on here. Lots of neat ones on there plus pictures showing how they work and even a mini one that he built. http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »

You should of come out here and use your stuff for fun SB.  

There used to be an old ammo plant that manufactured the material for the bombs used on Japan in WWII.  They just recently super funded the project to "clean" it all up.  I went to high school not a 1/2 mile from the plant when it was still there, but it was long since abandoned then and drank the tap water that comes from the same area while at shool. I probably glow in the dark.  There is a higher level of leukemia in this area....mmmm, wonder what that is from.  I would imagine that you could probably be able to get some readings on your meters.  They say it's all neutralized now, but hey, who believes the government?

I bet I would get some readings. I did bring my geiger counter to colorado on vacation one year and I did notice a higher level of background radiation. I don't remember exactly but I think there it had to do with the elevation.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »

Actually it does have everything to do with altitude! The higher the elevation, the more "zoomies". Colorado actually has one of the highest normal background levels.

Take you GM meter to an antiuqe shop where they might have some Fiestaware plates or saucers, try to find red. Set you meter to the lowest level and take a survey of the plate, it'll scream! The creator of Fiestaware figured out that urainium was a great pigment additive!

For another fun trick, by some Nu Salt, a no sodium salt replacement anf take a quick scan of it, same thing as the Fiestaware!

Brian
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 09:31:22 pm »

I have a fiesta ware plate. One of the things I used to use in my demonstrations. I also have a radium check source on the side of my geiger counter that is still going pretty strong. I was told about the salt substitute but I never knew what it was called. Thanks for letting me know I have to get some now. I also have some lantern mantels I bought at summer camp one year. Two packs of those are pretty close to the fiesta ware. I really like this Ludlum meter that I have. It is really sensitive and I think it might even be able to pick up some alpha radiation too. I was using it with a smoke detector and I noticed that there were a few more clicks with the probe over the radioactive part. It was not a big difference but I was noticing it was a tiny bit more than the background radiation. It was pretty cool. Nothing like getting that clicking sound coming through the headphones.  biggrin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:36:20 pm by scalebowler » Logged
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 09:39:12 pm »

Yep, the Coleman brand mantels are great! They were dipped in Thorium and the bright light that was produced was a by product of the interaction between heat and Thorium.

Brian
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »

Is that why they used thorium? I never knew the reason for them using that in those.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:15 pm »

I love this sign. Got it hanging up on my bulletin board. (I made sure not to push the pins in the screw holes all the way so it would not mess up the paint) Ilike how it looks like it almost glows in the dark

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:54 am »

That's a really sharp sign!  biggrin

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

Pepsi Perk where are you located? The same exact thing happened at my old High School. There was an ammo plant about a half mile from the school. The name of the town is Kings Mills Ohio (named after the powder mill). They had to dig up our old football stadium because of the hazardous waste they found was under it. They also used the school grounds as a firing range so there was extensive lead poisoning.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: