SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 03:36:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moving a machine  (Read 12444 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: April 11, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »

Hey guys what is the best way to load a pop machine into and then out of the back of a pickup truck? I am really thinking about the loading dock idea to get it up into it but when I get it home I will have to figure out how to get it out without damaging it. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Alex
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »

As I get older, they are getting heavier.

I always dollied it up to the back of the truck. Put a moving pad down and laid the top half back then lifted the machine bottom and slid it up and in. Two people is always better, but can be done alone. Pulling out is just the reverse - just make sure you are on a level surface.

You can remove items out of it as well to lighten the load.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:07 pm »

As I get older, they are getting heavier.

I always dollied it up to the back of the truck. Put a moving pad down and laid the top half back then lifted the machine bottom and slid it up and in. Two people is always better, but can be done alone. Pulling out is just the reverse - just make sure you are on a level surface.

You can remove items out of it as well to lighten the load.
totally  agree with the as I get older they get heavier,  one thing I like to use is a wooden dowel  when I lay it back I put a dowel on the tail gate and one just on the other side in the box so it rolls easy then pick up the end and have someone pull the dowel out.
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:30 am »

I use truck ramps and a dolly.  I've also used the dowel idea Pat mentioned.  I just substituted some PVC pipe (that's what I had lying around) for the dowels.  Make sure you tie the machine off well or have some scrap wood or something in the truck so the machine doesn't move around during transport.  Nothing like go around a corner and banging the machine on one of the fenderwells of the truck.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:19 am »

I agree with everyone on the method.  I used to load them into the back of my Dodge Magnum and mini-van the same way.  Pad the bumper and/or tailgate well.  You don't want to put a crease down the side of your machine.  2" pvc works great for rollers and it gives you a little more room to get your hands under the machine.  Make sure that you safeguard the cord because you will be laying the maching on its back.  You don't want to end up with a machine "that worked the last time you used it but now the cord is cut!" laugh Cool biggrin

drinking Tim drinking
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:39:35 am »

The only thing I can add is an S10 or Ranger, or a truck with a lower bed is so much easier to load unloadthan trying to get it in a full size truck

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

So the dowel or pvc pipe acts as rollers to help push it into the truck?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

Yes. Cardboard carpet tubes work great and can be had free.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »

What do you guys think about this? http://lincoln.craigslist.org/hsh/1697312046.html I am thinking of getting one or two of them. If I do get some which ones should I get? They have woven ones and non woven ones according to the ad.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »

They definitely come in handy and help to pad the machine against unfortunate scratches and creases.

Do you have a Costco nearby?

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,10994.msg84251.html#msg84251

I am sure you can also get them at U-Haul stores as well!

drinking Tim drinking
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 02:14:56 pm »

no costco but I did check out uhaul and found this. http://www.uhaul.com/rentalitems/ Looks like a dolly is cheaper to rent and only 5 dollars for moving pads too. Is that a rental fee or how much they cost?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

Rental fee

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:04 pm »

How do you guys pad the wheel wells in the back of the truck? I need to know because it is becoming pretty hard to get all this figured out. (The plan keeps changing every 5 minutes now that it is getting close to time to bring it home) Also how do you secure a machine in a pickup with no spots for tiedowns or anything that will allow you to secure it? My roommate wants to use the c clamps that are holding the top down to the truck. (Sounds like a really bad idea to me)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:55:14 pm by scalebowler » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:05:25 am »

I would just put a moving pad or blanket between the machine and the wheel wells in case the machine slides around in transit.  Obviously, you will want to watch your speed and no abrupt braking if at all possible.  I would be surprised if the truck does not have any tie down hooks.  What kind of truck is it?  Even my little S-10 has those in the corners near the top of the bed.  I am assuming that you will be transporting the machine with the gate down and that is why you need to have tie-downs.  If that is the case, you should be able to secure some type of tie-down across the gate area by tying into the area where the gate would normally latch in the up position.

I agree that using the c-clamps for the capper sounds like the start of an "America's Funniest Home Video" with the machine and cap leaving the bed at the same time.  Those things are strong but they are not intended to hold that type of load--however, take plenty of pictures if you go that route!  biggrin Cool laugh

drinking Tim  drinking
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:26:37 am »

if you are laying it down you really don't need to anything other than shut the tailgate. I just drove a jukebox and a milk machine 150 miles home with nothing tied down.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:31 am »

what Josh said.
If it looks likerain, I bring a  tarp and bungerr cords,

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »

OK awesome. I am not having my room mate bring it back anymore. My uncle is going to be down here this weekend and he said he can take it back for me and we don't have to have it loaded up and ready to go on the curb at 8am like before.
dw55
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 03:20:47 pm »

i hauled my last machine 6 hrs on it's back and when i got it unloades i let it sit for 24 hours so all the oil would go bact to the compressor. been running for 1 month now with out any problems. machine if from the 60's with original compressor.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »

Hey guys if I lay the machine on its back should I put something in the bottom to support the compressor? I swear I saw that someone said that on another thread somewhere but I don't remember.
dw55
5 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:29 pm »

you can have machine proped up some if you do not want to lay it  flat. compressor is bolted down so it will be ok.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 09:30:49 pm »

I'd put something under even with it bolted in.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »

I'd put something under even with it bolted in.
Creighton

Would a small cardboard box work? I have on sitting on my desk right now that seems to be just the right size. It is pretty strong, holding up two textbooks right now and those combined proboly weigh as much as the compressor.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 10:35:59 pm »

Use the text books, you won't need them anymore  biggrin

Just kidding, the compressor is bolted down.....don't worry about it moving around!

Glen
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:52:05 am »

Verify the compressor platform is bolted down and the bolts are tight. As long as thats done, its good to go.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:51 pm »

I got the machine back today. All I can say is I am glad it is home. After I found out how hard it was to move on the dolly we decided it stays in the garage and I love what my room mate said after we finally got it out of the building got it into the bed of the truck, "It looks so innocent sitting in there".  laugh
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:42:59 pm by scalebowler » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 03:15:53 pm »

Glad the move went well. Trick with a dolly, is to use a board on top off the dolly platform to support the machine. Just don't have extra board sticking out or you can't get through doorways. Trust me on that one :-)
Creighton
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: