SMC Discussion Areas
May 10, 2024, 03:40:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moving a machine  (Read 12451 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: April 11, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »

Hey guys what is the best way to load a pop machine into and then out of the back of a pickup truck? I am really thinking about the loading dock idea to get it up into it but when I get it home I will have to figure out how to get it out without damaging it. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

Alex
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:00 pm »

As I get older, they are getting heavier.

I always dollied it up to the back of the truck. Put a moving pad down and laid the top half back then lifted the machine bottom and slid it up and in. Two people is always better, but can be done alone. Pulling out is just the reverse - just make sure you are on a level surface.

You can remove items out of it as well to lighten the load.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pat Pixley
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:07 pm »

As I get older, they are getting heavier.

I always dollied it up to the back of the truck. Put a moving pad down and laid the top half back then lifted the machine bottom and slid it up and in. Two people is always better, but can be done alone. Pulling out is just the reverse - just make sure you are on a level surface.

You can remove items out of it as well to lighten the load.
totally  agree with the as I get older they get heavier,  one thing I like to use is a wooden dowel  when I lay it back I put a dowel on the tail gate and one just on the other side in the box so it rolls easy then pick up the end and have someone pull the dowel out.
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:09:30 am »

I use truck ramps and a dolly.  I've also used the dowel idea Pat mentioned.  I just substituted some PVC pipe (that's what I had lying around) for the dowels.  Make sure you tie the machine off well or have some scrap wood or something in the truck so the machine doesn't move around during transport.  Nothing like go around a corner and banging the machine on one of the fenderwells of the truck.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:19 am »

I agree with everyone on the method.  I used to load them into the back of my Dodge Magnum and mini-van the same way.  Pad the bumper and/or tailgate well.  You don't want to put a crease down the side of your machine.  2" pvc works great for rollers and it gives you a little more room to get your hands under the machine.  Make sure that you safeguard the cord because you will be laying the maching on its back.  You don't want to end up with a machine "that worked the last time you used it but now the cord is cut!" laugh Cool biggrin

drinking Tim drinking
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:39:35 am »

The only thing I can add is an S10 or Ranger, or a truck with a lower bed is so much easier to load unloadthan trying to get it in a full size truck

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

So the dowel or pvc pipe acts as rollers to help push it into the truck?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

Yes. Cardboard carpet tubes work great and can be had free.
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:33 pm »

What do you guys think about this? http://lincoln.craigslist.org/hsh/1697312046.html I am thinking of getting one or two of them. If I do get some which ones should I get? They have woven ones and non woven ones according to the ad.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »

They definitely come in handy and help to pad the machine against unfortunate scratches and creases.

Do you have a Costco nearby?

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,10994.msg84251.html#msg84251

I am sure you can also get them at U-Haul stores as well!

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: