SMC Discussion Areas
May 20, 2024, 05:22:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WE-6 Drain tube and plug  (Read 3768 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: July 04, 2012, 02:40:24 pm »

I moved the WE-6 out onto the deck this afternoon to fill it with water and...well... just to see what happens.    hopefull

I quickly discovered a small split in the end of the rubber drain tube along with a pretty well useless plug.   Any suggestions on how to repair/replace them?

Thanks!
Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
magcag01

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:04 pm »

I have the same machine. What I did was replace the whole drain unit, but then again I had my tub out of the unit. I went to the hardware  store
and bought a standard sink drain tube unit, which fits the hole perfect 1-1/4 is the size. Then I hose clamped a piece of clear plastic pvc 1-1/4 id to the drain tube.  You can get the hose thru mcmaster carr.  Got a new valve with pipe threads on one end, screwed in a pvc barbed hose fitting for the 1-1/4 hose.put that on w/hose clamp. Fixed. works well. Hope this helps.

Cavalier C-51 (restored)
Westy WE-6
Stoner 120
1972 Triumph TR-6 (in restoration)
1955 Seeburg 100JL
1959 Seeburg 222
1953 Seeburg HF100G
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 05:00:14 pm »

Thanks for the tip!  I think I'm going to do something similar.   I want to get a larger diameter tube to use as a 'sleeve' since part of the original rubber tube is split.  Hose clamp should hold it in place and I'll have to come up with something for a plug similar to what you did with yours.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:26:18 am »

I owe you a cold one (soda) for the idea!   drinking

I stopped at Lowes this morning for some other things and grabbed a 1' length of 1" I.D. clear vinyl tubing along with a barb connector with threads and a cap.   Took about 10 minutes to slide it up over the existing hose, hose clamp it in place and cap it.   It's holding water just fine now.   

Have the cooler plugged in for the first time since I bought it - water is circulating and I've got my trusty infrared thermometer to check the temp.  I should know in an hour or so if I have a self-refrigerating unit or just an old ice chest.   Either way my wife is happy with it out on the deck, she's planning to put a watermelon in it this afternoon.   biggrin 

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »

Well - at the moment what I've got is a nicely embossed ice chest.  I ran it most of the afternoon and no joy on the cooling.  It looks like I'll be filling it with ice for the time being until I can get someone to have a look at the compressor.  At least I know when the time comes to take it someplace for compressor work that I can transport it where it needs to go in my wife's Navigator.   Cool

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: