SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 01:31:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reproduction large Door Mechs  (Read 27267 times)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« on: November 03, 2008, 02:53:36 am »

I have something for everyone to think about. I am working on starting to manufacture reproduction parts here in Asia. I have been thinking about what parts are needed most in the industry that are not available. The part most in demand I think is the large door coin mech. There is a reproduction however the price is $375 each. I think I can make a functional coin mech for much less than this. The drawback is it will not look original. It would be easiest to make the mech work with existing arcade slug rejectors. I know nothing about slug rejectors and they are complex so making them would not make sense. Original rejectors are scarce and expensive. I am not sure what denomination arcade slug rejectors are made in. Obviously the most common in 25 cents but does anyone know if 5 cent or 10 cent rejectors are common and plentiful?

I want to do this because I have observed a need for this part more than any other part for any machine. How many machines have we all walked away from because it is missing the large door coin mech. I am not wanting to make a product for the purest or for fully restored machines. Just something to make the machines that are missing their mech functional again.

Has anyone used the reproduction Home Arcade coin mech? Does anyone have pictures of one?

Everyone please think about this and let me know what you think. Any suggestions are more than welcome. This will be quite challenging but I think it can be done.

Another thing is do you think there is a market for a dummy mech. Something that would hold the crank handle and shaft with a ratcheting mechanism that would and eliminate the need for a complex coin mech making it just run freeplay. This would be very simple.

Please everyone let me know your thoughts.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:38:43 am »

I think if you were to model it after the Small door Large Door mech, it would be easiest for you.
I had a LD mech sent to me a while back that used a regular ol' jukebox rejector and a lot of the functions were taken out, but it worked just like the SD mech in that once coins were inserted you could not get them back (no coin return). It basically had the coin chutes, ratchet, nickel/dime dog, coin block and shaft and that was it, which is similar to the SD mech.
I don't think the quarter mech would fly as well as a nickel or dime - part of the fun and nostalgia with the old machines is getting your soda for five or ten cents.
You also have shaft lengths and pin holes to consider. The VMC-44 mech shafts is longer than the rest and the linkage pin was on the diagonal. I believe the V-44 shaft length is different from the VMC-44, but I have not been able to confirm this. The 81 and 56 are the same. The Westinghouse mechs had a larger hole (3/16" I think) drilled on the vertical, but is the same length as the 56/81. The Jacobs 56 had a real short turned down shaft as did some of the Sure Vends.

I don't have that hard of a time finding mechs - I have won two LD change-giver mechs (VMC-44 and Westy) off eBay in the last two weeks for just over $300 total. I now have probably 7-8 extra LD mechs and about the same number of extra SD mechs.
I am thinking of offering a LD mech on eBay and the winning bidder can choose what type he wants. I have the Jacobs, Sure Vend, VMC-44, 56/81 shafts to model from. I hope to get the V-44 shafts specifics so I can offer it too.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:05:37 am »

As Tom said Large Door mechs arent that hard to come by, Ive had 4-5 this year alone, and im not even trying to get them.

Hey Tom are 56 81 110 shaft lengths the same?? I noticed you didnt mention 110.

Something that Ive had alot of calls about lately is large door coin entry bezels. Not VMC just regular Vendo. I believe small door 81 110 would be a big hit as well.

I myself would be interersted in the mechanical bottle stack parts, that are all located around the Vend Cam, and front plates of V81 bottle stacks.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:23:56 am »

You're right Joey - I did not mention the 110, but it also the same as the 56/81.

Isn't SJW reproducing the cast bezels now?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:32:56 pm »

Tom had a great idea Josh. You could produce the shell which is the same
size as the large mech, but the small mech mounts inside of it. With the abundance
of 39's being parted out, that complete mech and slug rejector is easy to find and
is original equipment for many large door machines.
      Sorry I don't have one to send you as a prototype, but glad you are using your
situation to maximize your capabilities. This will work!  happydrinkers
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:02:06 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:58:06 pm »

Tom had a great idea Josh. You could produce the shell which is the same
size as the large mech, but the small mech mounts inside of it. With the abundance
of 39's being parted out, that complete mech and slug rejector is easy to find and
is original equipment for many large door machines.
      Sorry I don't have one to send you as a prototype, but glad you are using your
situation maximize your capabilities. This will work!  happydrinkers

The shaft is much longer to accomodate the extra space between the "shell" and the back of the small door mech (like 2" or so).

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 06:41:15 pm »

I like this idea. Adding shaft length is easy. Some metal rod and a welder and its done. This would be the easiest solution and it is simple.I could easily repop the bracket.

Any other suggestions or ideas? Joey the bezel would be nice but it required a cast. Anything cast the manufacturer will want quantity so high that it is ridiculous. That is China. For sheet metal parts I have a company locally that we have partnered with that can make just about anything.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »

I like this idea. Adding shaft length is easy. Some metal rod and a welder and its done.

Since you will be selling just the shell and won't have access to the customer's mech.
could you maybe include an extension shaft with a coupling?

Glen
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:26:30 pm »

That would be easy Glen. Also I would like to take a stab at making small door mechs as well. Does anyone have a rusty mech without a rejector that I could buy? I need something to go by. The small door mech is simple and with some slight rerouting of the coin path could be made to use HAPP slug rejectors. I think this is the way to go and there is really nothing too complex about it. I don't know if there are 5 cent rejectors available. It may have to be 10 cent (dimes only) but that would be better than quarters. If I made mechs I would need to find out the the length of the shaft and location of pin holes for all applications. I would make the shaft the length of the longest application with predrilled pin holes for all applications and have the shafts turned on a lathe just enough to have a notch to show where to cut for each machine. It would be easy to do and would make them user friendly.

After thinking about it the most difficult thing is adapting it to work with the HAPP slug rejectors as the coin path is on the other side. It is too bad there isn't an abundance of small door slug rejectors. Making the mech would be very very simple if we had the rejectors. Anyone have any suggestions?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »

Josh,
There are actually 5 parts you would need to have reproduced (see pic)
1. The main body or shell
2. The coin chute at the top
3. The coin return retaining bracket (attached to left side of mech)
4 & 5. the two piece chute assembly at the bottom

As far as the rejector - I can take virtually any NRI rejector like a V-83 nickel rejector and make it work on any soda machine mech. I wonder if the Happ could be modified as easily.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: