SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 10:44:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help removing bezels  (Read 5046 times)
kdimeg

« on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »

Hi, new here!  I'm looking for advice on how to remove the original coin return & entry bezels from my V-39. My hope is to clean them up and reuse after I have the machine refinished. Is there a preferred technique to remove (dremmel or drill out the rivets?) and then how should I refasten them?  thanks up front.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »

You'll need to remove them by drilling the rivets out from the back-side if the bezel ( so you don't slip & damage the trim)  & you can reinstall the trim pieces like the coin-return bezel when you're ready with some "blind-headed" #4 screws ( these types of screws don't have any driver slots on their face,[like a Phillips of standard slotted screw] so they look like the original rivets, but they use small nuts to hold themselves on from the rear) of some supplier may have the original style rivets for sale too.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
kdimeg

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »

excellent, thanks!  biggrin
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:07 pm »

No problem, Oh & hello & welcome to the site too!  V39's are nice starter projects, lot's of repo-parts for them.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:27:47 am »

Hate to hijack the thread, but since we are talking about V39 bezels, the early model of the 39 has a very plain looking bezel.  At least mine does.   I have seen a small door bezel that looks much strudier and has much more style.  Are the fancier bezels unique to the later styles or other small door models and if so, is it condsidered incorrect to put the nicer bezel on the ribbed coin doors?

kdimeg - welcome to the board.  SodaJerkWorks, one of the site sponsers sells the rivets you need to reattach.  They are 15 cents a piece. How can you beat that!  One of the other sponsers Funtronice may have them as well.  If you are going to get into restoring, give them a call.  They are great people and always willing to help you find what you need.  Good luck with your machine!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 12:47:56 am »

Hate to hijack the thread, but since we are talking about V39 bezels, the early model of the 39 has a very plain looking bezel.  At least mine does.   I have seen a small door bezel that looks much strudier and has much more style.  Are the fancier bezels unique to the later styles or other small door models and if so, is it condsidered incorrect to put the nicer bezel on the ribbed coin doors?

Early model 39's and early V-110's had the stamped steel bezel (riveted on) and a ribbed coin door. The stamped steel bezel is reproduced.
Late model 39's, 81A/B's and late model V-110's had a cast bezel (bolted on).

The 81's and 110's do not have the Sold Out window in either style whereas the 39 bezel does have a SO window.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:03:57 am »

Let us  know when you are putting it back topgether.  Some of us  may have some advise on the riviting method.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
kdimeg

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »

it'll be months before I'm ready to put it back together, however I'm leaning towards using the blind headed screws because I've never done rivits before and the screws would be easy.  I'm doing this as a personal use machine, so i'm not too concerned about being authentic with the early model.  Having said that, I also started out telling myself "I'll just clean her up a bit" and thanks to this site it's turned into a full blown restore - so who knows where I'll be by summer. I already have ridiculous thoughts about buying another while this one is in pieces!
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »

I'd be more concerned if you DIDn't have tohughts of buying a second machine.  Smiley

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: