SMC Discussion Areas
May 09, 2024, 09:14:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estimate for sandblasting a machine (CSS-96) and painting?  (Read 10358 times)
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« on: January 16, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »

I know price can vary depending on what's being done, but I wanted to get some ideas on what I would be looking to spend on some services since I'm new at restoring a machine from the ground up. I don't know what to expect so I thought I'd ask.

I completely disassembled my CSS-96 and I was going to start looking into places to get estimates on sandblasting.  What is a price range I should be expecting? Obviously the big pieces are the shell and the door.  Along with the coin mech door there are maybe 10 other pieces.

Next, what about a paint job?  I know there will be a little body work that will need to be done so that will increase the price.  Disregarding major body work, what should I expect on that?  Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:45:47 pm by brasskey » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:32:24 pm »

You will want to inquire about soda blasting unless there is a lot of rust on the machine.  Blasting with more abrasive media can cause the metal of the cabinet to heat up and warp.  Not sure what would be a good price though!

drinking Tim drinking
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:28:25 am »

it takes the guy I use approximately 2 hours to blast a 81 style machine.  Thats using soda.  He charges me 200 for the job, but his normal rates are 150 per hour. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:21 am »

I get all my blasting, body work and paint work done at one place... and it can vary obviosly from machine to macine and the amount of body work needed.. and trust me there is always body work needed, often hiddin until you get that first coat of primer on it..
I pay anywhere from 1200-1800 for all of it..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:05:47 am »

I work withthe guys that do my Powder coating they also do media blasting then when they get the cabinet and all the other parts that need paint ready to go then that stuff goes off to my
painter body shop  but in the summer I will be doing my own media blasting.  Just found a blast cabinet (bigger)  I will be buying here soon and  also found a new blaster  ( bigger) so I will be able to do my own machines.

John is right it does vary from machine to machine ,
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:43 pm »

I also used a local powder coat  company.  It's a
$1.38 per minute.  They use a 70 grit, glass bead.  I paid $243.00 for sandblasting, primer, and powdercoating for a Westy WD-10.

As for paint it was about $50.00 a quart used atbout 1.5 quarts, plus ,sealer and primer.
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

Thanks for all the help everyone.  There's no soda blasting in my area so it looks like sandblasting is my only option.  I'll see what I can find out.
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »

I would echo Tim's comments about being careful with sandblasting.  You don't want to warp the metal.  Would be worth double checking to see if a less abrasive media is available.

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:15:53 pm »

I also used a local powder coat  company. I paid $243.00 for sandblasting, primer, and powdercoating for a Westy WD-10.
That's a great price for sandblasting & powder-coating a WD-10! My only concern with powder-coating a machine is that it has to be perfect or the dents will show since you cannot have body work under powder-coating as I understand it...

My six cents,

Jim

Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:49:42 pm »

That's a great price for sandblasting & powder-coating a WD-10! My only concern with powder-coating a machine is that it has to be perfect or the dents will show since you cannot have body work under powder-coating as I understand it...

I had minor body work after the powdercoating.  So I had a few spots that broken into the powdercoating and primer.  I used a 2 part product for bodywork.

They also sandblasted the air duct cover and all 4 product shelves included in the $243.00. along with powdercoat and primer.

A normal 2 part product like I used would of melted during another session of powdercoating for red. My powdercoater said there is a a product that is available that can resist the heat of the oven for bodywork.  I will call and ask him.  I think it was called MetalX??

I did use a about 1.5 quarts of primer, blocked it, wet sanded it, than used a very nice paint sealer.  The prep work on that box plus body work is pushin close to 20 hours.

The only regret was using a single stage paint.  ( This is before I knew about the site.)  The paint is not very hard, and when the box was cut and buffed it broke though the paint.  So had to scratch it and paint it again.
Grey Wolf

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:07 pm »

I paid $300 for blasting an Ideal 85 slider box and base.  It was $90 an hour for sand blasting, and $120 for media.  They did the whole thing with media, then touched up where needed with the sand.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »

I have heard of some body fillers and such that are designed to work with powder coating.. havent' tried it yet but may look into it as powder coating is way cheaper than paint and super durable..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »

I paid $80 to get an entire S&S 700A cooler sandblasted (top, liner, legs, base...10 pieces total). 

He also blasted a 55 slider rack, a flapper, Glasco slider shelf, a few bottle openers, and 3 cap catchers (1 Ideal, 2 Glasco) for free. 

I'm pretty pleased with that price for all those pieces.  Probably won't get that good of a deal next time...

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Wojcik
25 Cent Member

GO WINGS!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »

I paid $80 to get an entire S&S 700A cooler sandblasted (top, liner, legs, base...10 pieces total). 

He also blasted a 55 slider rack, a flapper, Glasco slider shelf, a few bottle openers, and 3 cap catchers (1 Ideal, 2 Glasco) for free. 

I'm pretty pleased with that price for all those pieces.  Probably won't get that good of a deal next time...
What sandblasting company are you using?

1941 Stoner Theater Candy  (unrestored)
1947 Pop'Corn Sez Warmer  (restored)
1920's Coca-Cola themed cash register
S & S 700 7up ice chest
Vendo 81D
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:25:14 pm »

Wojcik...

I'll send you a PM.  He works for cash.  I'm sure he doesn't want his name advertised for obvious reasons.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
brasskey
25 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »

I found a sandblasting business that also soda blasts. I got an estimate today for $100-150. He gave me that range because he said he didn't really know until he had it in his hands (I sent pictures), but it wouldn't be more than $150. Sound reasonable?
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:23 am »

I have heard of some body fillers and such that are designed to work with powder coating.. havent' tried it yet but may look into it as powder coating is way cheaper than paint and super durable..

I talked to my powder coat guy last week they are trying some type of aircraft grade material compound.  Not sure what the chemical make up is yet.  They are also trying to make adjustments to their oven in combination of the products that they are experimenting with.  Typically they are running between temperatures between 325-365 degrees.  He had some available for trial, I may go down and pick something up.

Now something to experiment with....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: