SMC Discussion Areas
May 17, 2024, 04:01:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor transplant  (Read 3512 times)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« on: May 14, 2005, 10:48:02 am »

I was just wondering if it's possible to take the compressor from an old fridge and put into a squaretop machine ?  Mine doesn't cool unless it's on the highest setting and it's not worth the money to have the compressor rebuilt)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:57:59 pm »

Skeleton,

Your soda pop machine might just need a charge. If you have a schrader valve (a valve that has been soldered in-line) then you can have it filled. The only tough part is finding a cheap source of R-12 (I assume that's what your machine uses). Then all it it takes is the proper hose and you'll be good to go.

Otherwise, as long as the compressor from the fridge is rated similarly to the soda pop machine compressor, you should be ok. The most common sizes are 1/8, 1/4 and, 1/3 horsepower.

Brian
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 08:14:34 pm »

Quote (VMC117BMB @ May 14 2005,8:57)
Skeleton,

Your soda pop machine might just need a charge. If you have a schrader valve (a valve that has been soldered in-line) then you can have it filled. The only tough part is finding a cheap source of R-12 (I assume that's what your machine uses). Then all it it takes is the proper hose and you'll be good to go.

Otherwise, as long as the compressor from the fridge is rated similarly to the soda pop machine compressor, you should be ok. The most common sizes are 1/8, 1/4 and, 1/3 horsepower.

It has some small pipe sticking up from the side of the compressor with the end capped off.. is that the valve you mean ?

I'm guessing you buy freon in pressurised tanks like propane ?  I thought you needed a license to buy the stuff ?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:20:24 pm »

Yes you need alicence to buy refrigerant . If your old system used R-12 the replacement is r-409a and it works with the mineral oil already in your compressor. any local refrigeration contractor will know
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:07:47 pm »

The old system uses R-12 (it has R-12 stamped in big letters on the compressor).. I never knew of r-409a.. (I thot the only option was to replace oil, seals, etc and fill with r-134a)

Do I still need a license for R-409a or R-134a ?

I saw a product called autofrost that replaces R-12.. what would be in that ?

Also is that skinny tube sticking up next to the compressor body the schrader valve ? (if not, where would it likely be located)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: