SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 02:50:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39 fan  (Read 11191 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: January 31, 2005, 11:03:05 am »

Hello Everyone.

I have just started using my Vendo 39 after a couple of years of it sitting there as an ornament.

I have noticed that the the refridgeration unit has a slight fault on it. When the machine is powered up it all works like a dream and the fan spins happily away. However, after a period of time (no fixed time limit) the fan will stop spinning.

If I give the fan a slight touch it will continue to run happily again. Its almost as if it gets stuck. Is this a common fault.

Any help gratefully received. As can be seen from my description I'm a novice so please handle with care.

Dave
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 11:15:54 am »

Hello

It may be a normal cycling off-on for the system.  Next time it stops try turning the thermostate towards a cooler setting to make the system come back on. The fan should start spinning again.  If the fan motor continues to have problems then remove it & take it to your local ac supply store for a replacement.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 12:02:15 pm »

Hi Kevin thanks for your advise. I think its a little more than a temporary cut off because when its happened over night and I check in the morning the fridge has warmed up warrenting a kick in.

I'll have a look at taking the fan off. I live in the UK so not sure if our AC (I take it you mean Air conditioning) suppliers have similar parts. Not much cause for AC when the temp never gets above "wooly-pully" weather.

Cheers

Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 12:39:14 pm »

You say the fan starts up with a push. It may last a little longer if you take it out and oil it.

Glen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 12:46:38 pm »

hi dave,
which v-39 model do you have - the earlier model with one
fan motor or the later model with two fan motors.
the earlier models have only one fan for the evaporator, the
later models have two fans. one for the evaporator and one for the condenser.
lars
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 01:06:44 pm »

Hello

Yes try oiling first. If you need a new one & can't find one in GB post a message on the board here with a picture of the old. Someone will buy & send you one with a promise of repayment.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 110  Under repair
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 01:49:13 pm »

Hi

Lars - I have just opened the cabinet and I can see one fan in the part where the bottles are (That's the one that stops) and a larger fan cooling the motor down below (Did say I was a novice) So not sure what model that is.

I bought the machine from a Dutch dealer at a jukebox show in the UK. He had imported it along witha couple of 100 Jukeboxes. It had been fully restored. The machine has the ice cold logo on the bottom and the vents on the side with the raised line running down the side of the machine by the coin mech and under the "Ice Cold". Its painted two tone but that's a re-spray.

Its pretty late now so I'll have a go at taking the fan out tomorrow to see if it needs a little oil.

Thanks for all the assistance this is a really great site. Not a lot of call for Vendo Machines here in the UK but everyboby and I mean everybody's jaw drops when they see it.

Cheers

Dave
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 03:11:51 pm »

Hey

Post a picture of your Vendo with the Union Jack!

Hey one more thing.

We (USA) thank you (England) for standing with us in Iraq through some hard times & helping that country get on its feet. It appears that the election process was a success.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 110  Under repair
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 03:29:49 pm »

Hello Kevin

Whilst I have The US Flag immediately to hand I am ashamed to say that I don't have a Union Jack. I do have a Cross of St. George somewhere (English) so  if that'll do I dig it out and give it a go.

I know how groups get on subjects like war etc so I won't say too much other than almost every person I know (me included) believes it was the right thing to do backing the US. We may have p***ed the rest of Europe off but Hey they don't even speak English and who wants to go to France on Holiday when its just as cheap to go to Florida.

Back on the subject of my Vendo 39 I would be very grateful if someone could age it for me. I have a 1955 Jukebox which I thought was my oldest piece of Americana but I could be wrong.

Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 04:10:05 pm »

The embossed Ice Cold lettering was on the early model 39, Produced from 1949 to mid fifties.
       But you must have a different compressor as Lars explained, the early version didn't use a condenser fan.

Glen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 05:18:37 pm »

Dave, might I ask how old you are?
And which part of the lovely island do you live in?
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 07:43:23 pm »

Dave, you can figure out the age of your Vendo with the following formula:
I found this info at Colamachines.com:

V39 =Serves 39 Bottles
Serial #   
The serial number is typically made up of 8 numbers.

The first number is the year the machine was produced.
The second number is the month.
The last 5 numbers are the actual serial numbers.

Example:   
Serial Number : 21014601

First number was 2 = 1952
Second & Third numbers were 10 = October
Which means that this machine was made in October of 1952 and has a serial number of 14601.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 10:31:51 am »

Hi Kito

I am 38yrs old and live just north of London in Hertfordshire. Moved out to the country a few years ago from the smog.

Kilroy

Thanks for the info on the serial numbers. It would appear that my machine was built in 1954 beating my Juke by a whole year and taking pride of place as my oldest Antique piece of Americana.

Dave
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 01:11:49 pm »

Glad you're here Dave.
I am 36 years old and live in Minnesota in the US, but as I mentioned earlier, I went to Lancaster University in Lancashire. I have a lot of really close British friends that I met when I was there. They have visited me and I have gone back there several times.

I say show us the flag of England, rather than the whole U.K.
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 06:01:31 pm »

Dave,
  I'm Eric and have been following the ongoing thread concerning your Vendo 39 fan problem.  Perhaps I missed this point somewhere, but which fan is causing the problem, the evaporator fan (located in the bottle compartment) or the condensor fan (located next to the compressor)?  When you touch it to get it started again, are you actually rotating the fan physically or wiggling the wire? It sounds like you may have a broken lead in the motor, in which case no amount of oiling is going to fix the problem.  In all honesty you'd probably be better off replacing it anyway to truly resolve the problem.  I'm am electrician by trade currently serving in the United States Navy in Norfolk, Virginia and have ready access to replacement motors.  If you should decide to go this route, let me know and I'll locate a replacement for you.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 02:39:14 pm »

Hi Eric

sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I currently have three dead Jukeboxes all as a result of changing a faulty tube. They have been taking all my time and energy.

The Vendo - I should have made it much clearer. The fan that has a intermitent fault is the one in the bottle compartment. I have run the machine now for about a week and its only stopped twice. No big deal but still annoying.

To get it going again all I do is give the fan blades themselves just a very slight tap with a finger and "Hey Presto" they are away.

I changed the harness thingy (the one with the wires coming out of it) a while ago but that didn't stop the problem occuring, as I say, only very occasionally.

Another newbie question. Should the upper fan stop when the right temp is met?? Mine runs the whole time.

Cheers

Dave (I'll have to get a nice logo )
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 04:28:35 pm »

Dave,
  No problem, I understand what it's like not to have enough time.  To answer your question concerning the evaporator fan (the one in the bottle compartment), it should run when the door is closed.  There's a pushbutton switch in the main door jamb that actuates when the main door is closed and turns on the fan.  When the door is open the fan should stop.  Not a big deal if this doesn't happen, merely a safety feature to prevent possible loss of extremeties (i.e. "fingers") while the main door is open.

Back to the fan, can you send pics of your machine, especially of the evap fan?  Depending on the fan type currently in use, I could probably find you a replacement pretty cheap.  If you can write down the data on the back of the fan motor housing (stamped into the metal) that would be very helpful too.  There should be a model and/or serial number, voltage rating, RPM rating, wattage, amperage, and direction of rotation (CW = clockwise, CCW = counter-clock wise).

Thanks

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 05:56:42 pm »

hi dave,
the evaporator fan ( in the bottle compartment ) runs all the
time, except you open the door (when there is a switch ).
the condenser fan ( near the compressor ) usually stops when the compressor shuts off.
lars
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: