SMC Discussion Areas
May 07, 2024, 10:35:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Toy - Pinball.  (Read 7046 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: October 13, 2007, 03:21:49 am »

Hi Guys

Thought I'd share a picture with you of my latest addition.

Its a Williams Hot Line Pinball Tabve from 1966. Far from perfect but (fingers crossed) fully working and giving lots of fun to both me and the kids.

An electrophobs nightmare. I lifted the top and frigthened the life out myself. I just hope it holds up til christmas.

Dave
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 05:40:22 am »

Thats awesome Dave... I've been trying to find one myself, but I just can't pay what they are going for right now...  Good luck with it. I hope it holds out till Christmas for ya..  happydrinkers

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:35:03 am »

I have been wanting one for a while too. Not sure what game or model I want though.
Glad you got one - Enjoy!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 09:16:57 am »

Nice machine.  You may want to get your hands on this book.  It has helped me out a lot.  You may be able to find it on your side of the pond since I think that it is made in Denmark.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:01:38 pm »

Hi Brent

I have had a look at that book... My problem is I have no electrical background. I'd need a real beginners guide. Does the author assume stupidity or is he hitting at a slightly higher level.

Dave

Ps.. I think these things are almost as addictive as soda machines. I'm already eying up another one.
Is there no end to this madness.

dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:33:30 pm »

The great thing about the EM machines is that they are basically a bunch of wires, switches and coils!  He does go in to the theory of how things work and I think if you understand the 3 things above you should be okay. 
Coils act like magnets when electricity is applied and they push a rod out of the coil (flippers, bumpers, bells, scoring reels, etc.)
Relays are just a bunch of switches that are attached to a magnet.  When no electricity is present, they are either NO (normally open-no electricity goes thorugh) or NC (normally closed-electricity does go through).  Once the relay is energized, the switches that were open end up closing and the one that are closed end up opening.
Okay...there is your crash course!

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 09:37:57 pm »

Brent.. is that book normally in stock, or is the 5 copies they have it... It sounds like an awesome book, but I don't really "need" it yet. I'm sure I will some day need it..  laugh

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 07:21:56 am »

You may want to pick one up.  It's limited and they were out of them for awhile. 

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:02:58 am »

Thanks.. I was looking through the other books they have.. is there any other books I should look into for the gaming hobby... either reference or other interest? I have a book called High Score that is pretty cool.. some history about games and the progression.... I also have Project Arcade...

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 02:10:48 pm »

Some books that I have enjoyed are The First Quarter (I think the current version of the book is now called The Ultimate History of Video Games).  Good history from before Pong to around 2001.
Ralph Baer recently wrote Videogames: In The Beginning.  Lots of pictures and info from the Father of Videogames.
Supercade is also a good book.  Coffeetable book with lots of great pictures and stories.  The book calls itself "A visual history of the videogame age 1971-1984."

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:51 am »

Bird, bird, bird, bird is the word.  Sorry, 'bout that, but every time I see your name that pops in my head.  Check out my favorite site.  http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm  Look at the 1930 - 1978 E.M. repair guide.  Very good stuff!!  It is a bit overwhelming if you have no electrical background, but there is a ton of information there for you.  Section 1E explains switches, relays, steppers, etc.

I have restored a few EM games and 99 % of the problems were that the steppers were gummed up.  This causes major malfunctions.  The other problems would be that a switch is not closing when it should because the contacts are slightly bent and therefore not making contact either in a Normally closed or an energized Normally open contact(becoming closed while energized).  Pinball resource sells a switch  adjusting tool.  It's cheap and effective.  But avoid bending the stiff staionary contact.  Bend the one that's suppose to move.

Hope this helps.

Larry.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:52:12 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: