SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 08:41:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meter-Matic Coin-Op Timer  (Read 3021 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: January 14, 2014, 09:04:27 pm »

I just picked up a couple of Meter Matic coin-operated timers on eBay today, just happened across them and thought they were kind of cool.  They were listed as non-working, but I have had a hankering for an electrical project lately.  They were made for motels back in the 30's or so, you plugged in a TV, radio, etc. and it then made them a coin operated device. 

Anybody have any experience with these?  There's a few out there on eBay and they are very cheap when it comes down to it ($10-20).

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:28:30 pm »

Got the timers in the mail today, pretty cool little boxes.  Nothing special, just plug in the device you want to be coin-operated, insert a nickel for every increment of time and push down the handle.  A ratcheting gear around the timer engages a switch, shuts it off when it's done.  Sounds like it was mostly used for fridges and TV's. 

I bought them non-working, but after doing a little investigation and reading the label, it indicates that each increment is 40/30/24 etc. hours, so it's spinning, just VERY slowly. I wish it was adjustable, but can't complain for the price.

I was thinking it'd be a cool thing to hook up for your kids...make them spend their allowance to run the Playstation/Xbox!

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:21:48 pm »

I was thinking it'd be a cool thing to hook up for your kids...make them spend their allowance to run the Playstation/Xbox!

Aye, tis a bonnie way to keep the lads in line. Profitable too. $$  tounge

tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:51:57 pm »

I want to do a couple of small instruction decals for the outside of these, what do you guys do to have those printed, sign shops?  Design isn't a problem, just looking for something that will last.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: