SMC Discussion Areas
May 15, 2024, 01:25:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compressor does not cycle  (Read 7121 times)
MrMark

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:26:17 am »

MarkC,

I know Eric at GlobalCompressors will fix you up. He is on the board throughout the week. I am pretty certain he is in San Marcos, TX (between Austin and San Antonio). I am in Dallas which is not that much better for you in terms of shipping. But since Eric does this for a living, I would go to him, and he can give you an idea of shipping costs and best way to ship. He will probably recommend replacing the compressor as well as the condenser fan motor.

I would call around to some of the local refrigeration places and tell them what you have. Sad part is, this time of year those guy's are real busy, so won't have the time to assess and do the job right, or will charge you out the wazoo to do it.

But we're here to give you guidance, and if you have the metalworking skills you say you have, then brazing or silfosing shouldn't be that much of an issue. You'll only need access to dry nitrogen to use while brazing or silfosing the system back together, and a tap "stinger" for the service port on the compressor. Assuming you've got the leak fixed, then a refrigeration guy will just need to pump down with a vacuum pump, purge, pump down again, purge, pump down then charge.

I might caution you though, if you've broken into the system, you need to plug everything very tightly with rubber plugs. Moisture in the air will seek the dry, dry oil in the compressor and that remaining in the various components which will lead to the ultimate demise of the compressor. That moisture can be vacuumed out with the vacuum pump, but the more there is, the longer it takes. Moisture vapor loves to seek out dry places. If you don' t believe me, think about a box of salt or jar of sugar. 
markc

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:59 am »

I do appreciate all the advice/guidance this forum offers.    I do not have any skills in metal working or refrigeration, so will need to find someone to do the work.    My kids are flying to San Antonio tomorrow.  Wish I could have them carry the cooling system with them. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: