SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 06:16:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dole Director in Michigan  (Read 19101 times)
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »

Carbonators are easy to find especially on e-bay.

Should be able to get one for $50-$75 although it depends on the brand and age.

If you want the original that fits inside a Dole Director you need to locate a short tank Alco temprite carbonator which fits on a base that slides into the compartment below the valves on the Director.
This would be a little tougher to locate although not impossible.

If you buy a carb just make sure the front of the pump is not buldged out which is caused by freezing the pump with water inside. people forget to drain them before putting them in the garage in the northern climates.

I'll check e-bay and see if there's any good candidates.

Post a pic of your craigslist find and I'll tell you what it might be worth.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:43:07 pm by stuntpilot » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:25 pm »

Right now I am just looking at one on craigslist and deciding if I want to get it or not. Here is the link to the ad http://omaha.craigslist.org/atq/2193737996.html
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:03 am »

It looks like it's in pretty good shape and all the parts are there, at least the visible ones. Ask the guy to look behind the drip pan the carbonator could still be inside but not likely. Alot of people don't know what a carbonator is. If he used it for 15 years he had to have a carbonator or just used it as a water dispenser.

Also ask if the floats are still in the syrup tanks.

$475 is a bit steep for a Director. I would offer him $150 if the compressor runs and it cools.

Are you in Omaha?  I'm in Lincoln.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:31:04 am by stuntpilot » Logged
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 05:49:18 am »

Here's a Director I found on e-bay which still has the carb mounted under the valves, you can barely see it it the last photo. It also still has the original power cord which is rare so this one has'nt been all hacked up and worked on.

Missing the drip pan but in nice original condition starting at $99 and I would be surprised if it sells.

I'm showing you this just for comparison. and to give you a visual of the original carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-s-COCA-COLA-FOUNTAIN-DISPENSER-ORIGINAL-NH-/110648365229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c32810ad
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:52:12 am by stuntpilot » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 01:40:23 pm »

I think I will send him an offer and see what he says. Looks like a pretty good machine for home use. Yep I'm in Omaha but I did go to UNL last year. It's pretty cool to find someone who is close by. You ever been to Rocket fizz in lincoln? Pretty neat store I think.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 05:55:42 am »

Small world huh!! I spend alot of time on campus working in the frat and sorority houses as an electrician.

Never even heard of Rocket Fizz, what is it?

Feel free to send me a message if you need help looking over the machine. It would be good if you can verify there are no valve leaks or other problems.

I worked for Coca-Cola for 22 years and these were some of the first dispensers I ever worked on back in the late 70's.  A very simple machine which is pretty bulletproof.
Be advised you will need a crane to lift it.  LOL!!

Here's a carb I found on E-bay which I could fix in 5 minutes, it's the preferred brand, McCann's.  the same guy has a carb which has a seized pump that could be easily fixed but you could find a better looking one if you took your time and waited for the right opportunity or hit a local restaurant auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/McCanns-Model-43-5000-Carbonator-Carbonated-Water-Pump-/290526472843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a4ba2a8b
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:20:19 am by stuntpilot » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 02:41:50 pm »

Rocket Fizz is a store that sells mostly old type of pop in glass bottles and they have some old types of candy and a ton of metal signs for sale. None of the signs are  real coke signs or anything like that but some are kind of neat or fun. They have one location at 14th and pinelake out by Lincoln Southwest high school and they have another location at 70th and A. Thats pretty cool that you used to work for coke. I bet you got a pretty good collection of stuff from them. I will let you know if I decide to get the machine. Would be really cool to set up in the kitchen or something like that.
stuntpilot
10 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 06:12:50 am »

I'll go and check out the Rocket Fizz place, sounds kind of cool.

I do have quite a collection of Coke stuff from my working days there, I cringe at some of the things i just threw away all those years. I've owned three directors thru the years, one I gave to a old girlfriend and the other two i just scrapped. here's the dispenser I have hooked up at the house now, a 1960's vintage Reed-Victor 4 valve dispenser I aquired from a Dairy Queen in Wymore in a trade, this machine is pristine like the day it was made, it has the carb mounted in the top with the compressor and is water bath cooled, the perfect home unit.

I found a super nice Lancer carb on e-bay you can watch and see what it goes for. This one is so nice it might hit $100+ shipping. I have to laugh at the question regarding the carb, poor soul thinks he can connect Coke to it and make pop. lol  not going to happen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290533934079&category=57068&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:30:34 am by stuntpilot » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: