SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 08:21:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Drain Tube, what do you guys do  (Read 3646 times)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« on: October 31, 2007, 09:42:38 am »

Replacing some old Drain Tubes on an 81 and a 56 coming up.... I guess I've never had to replace one before, just clean and reuse old? do you just use coppper and flare the end, then silicone in? or other tips / ideas would be great!
Thanks
John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:07:28 am »

Yes, flanged copper and silicone work fine but use some sort of
clamp underneath to keep it from getting pushed up through the
floor by accident. I use rubber grommets, but a hose clamp should
work too.

Glen
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:47:11 am »

Do you have the liner out??  If so the only way I would think about doing would be to flare the copper and solder it to the liner.  It was originally done that way.  I just did 3 of them.

I had never soldered pipe before.  The first one was a little difficult, but after that the next two went just fine.

I think I would use some sort of epoxy if not removing the liner.  I think it would be better than silicone.

Marvin
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:04:56 pm »

Marvin's way will need to be done prior to finishing the liner. (IE: powder coating or Hammer tone paint)
I actually utilized a tough paintable caulking to seal the flared tubing and then once I finished the liner with HammerRite paint, this created a nice smooth exit for the condensate water to drain... I also added a  slight bend toward the end of the tubing to allow the flexible plastic tubing to be secured once to the top sheet metal which will stiffen the bottom half of the replacement drain. Since the 81's drain is located close to the left side where the condensate tray hangs, I direct the bend toward the rear of the cabinet and fasten the tubing so it runs down along the back left corner and then goes to the drain pan...
Glen touched on accidentally hitting the tubing and causing the seal to break; I had this happen and so I began to attach the plastic tubing to the top wall for support. I also utilized plumbers putty for that authentic look even though nobody looks there... I knew it was there though!

The quick diagram illustrates some of the details...

My six cents,

Jim

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 02:48:36 pm »

Thanks guys, all looks good.. I have use the flared copper and silicone in past machines and now that I have a few more to work on just wanted to check on any new techniques that I may have missed out on...
I appreciate it.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: