SMC Discussion Areas
May 11, 2024, 07:54:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this worth $450?  (Read 13724 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: June 08, 2012, 07:05:52 am »

I may go check this out tonight.  Would be cool to have on the deck when we have friends over...

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/atq/3049457609.html

Original bottle opener and catch tray are intact, as well as original glass compressor access door on top. Entire unit is in very nice condition, with only a couple of minor rust spots under the lids. Tub is water tight, and unit runs and cools

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:58 am »

Are you going to restore it as a "chiller"?  Water cooled machines are less sought after because many of us don't want water sitting in the cooler over time.

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:00:33 am »

Hi B.C. - I understand the limited desirablity and practicality of a water cooled machine. 
I'm planning to leave it as-is if it is indeed in good working order.   It would definitely not be an every-day machine, I would likely fill it and run it only for family gatherings/parties/etc.  The rest of the time it would be dry and in the house with the rest of the machines.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:37:21 pm »

300 Agree with Brian not not worth that much.

Save your money up for something nicer and more desirable.  When you least expect it something will pop up.

Jared
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:42:24 pm »

Remember although these machines do use chilled water, they work just fine with a tank full of ice & I think they look "snazzier" than the dry-chest versions. either way, nothing beats reaching into a classic Coke cooler & pulling out a cold one!  PS; I also think that the price could be a little on the high side.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:06:59 am »

Well - I pulled the trigger.  I got it for $400.   It is a really nice condition original, I'll have pictures later - busy busy weekend!

I know as a collectable they are not very desirable, but I just absolutely love the looks of this thing, so that makes it desirable to ME.  It's going to stay indoors but since it is on wheels, I can roll it out to the deck in the summer for parties, etc. 

It it embossed all over and has the old white background with red lettering that I really like.  It is also on wheels, so loading it was not bad at all.    So - another entry into the "what fits in what" category, a Westinghouse cooler JUST fits into the back of a Lincoln Navigator - if you take the lid off for clearance.

This one spent most of its life in a Lancaster PA (Amish country) general store. I am the third owner since it left the store so it has been indoors its entire life and is a really super nice original with great patina.  The only downside is some rust out on the corner of the lid, which I imagine is pretty common for machines that were in-use.

I'll post some pics as soon as possible, but I think I got a nice machine at a fair price - thanks again guys!

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:23 am »

Glad you picked it up and you like it,  I have the service manual if you would like a pdf copy.

Some great embossment!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:36:38 am »

Congrats!... Yes buy what you like... This site is AWESOME for advice when it comes to
what model is it and what prices have been relized for machines and coolers.

Everyone has their own taste on machines, coolers, years, makes and brands
I love the floor model ice coolers, I have a few round top machines but would rather
have a row of junior and/or standard coolers embossed in different brands.

Great size cooler and the color scheme is awesome!
And keep an eye out!...there is a set of perfect lids out there just waiting!

That's gonna be a hit at the BBQs this summer! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:37:10 am »

Congrats.  I agree. Buy what YOU like.  Good luck with it.

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

I know as a collectable they are not very desirable, but I just absolutely love the looks of this thing, so that makes it desirable to ME.  It's going to stay indoors but since it is on wheels, I can roll it out to the deck in the summer for parties, etc. 

It it embossed all over and has the old white background with red lettering that I really like.  It is also on wheels, so loading it was not bad at all.    So - another entry into the "what fits in what" category, a Westinghouse cooler JUST fits into the back of a Lincoln Navigator - if you take the lid off for clearance.

Any machine with wheels is a plus in my book!!! Working and with a little elbow grease and it should shine nicely... Its a jackpot to me at that price for what you are using it for. And you never know what the next hot machine will be, or the next cold one for that matter so buy what you like if your not flipping them or trying to make a living off it!!!

That would be a good section on the discussion board.. maybe a subsection of the route 66 transportation. Pictures of "what fits in what!!" That would be funny to see what some people do with machines to get them home... I can think of a little moped analogy that I will keep to myself!!!  I have a trailer, but its a pain and more $ to pull down to Mass or NH with gas and tolls, so I have found myself hoping thinks will fit in my Jeep Wrangler.

Tim
JimFromSTL

I'm an IT manager with a zest for mantiques.

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 03:01:14 pm »

I have a trailer, but its a pain and more $ to pull down to Mass or NH with gas and tolls, so I have found myself hoping thinks will fit in my Jeep Wrangler.

As a Jeep owner I'm in this boat as well.  It cost me $300 just to get my motorcycle home from Ohio to Illinois in my 07 Wrangler.  I already get horrible mileage, then factor in the trailer and it's a real punch in the balls.  Unfortunately Wranglers aren't known for their storage.

Looking for:
Dr Pepper and Hires Root beer items. 
Duncan parking meters
License plates for trade
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »

As a Jeep owner I'm in this boat as well.  It cost me $300 just to get my motorcycle home from Ohio to Illinois in my 07 Wrangler.  I already get horrible mileage, then factor in the trailer and it's a real punch in the balls.  Unfortunately Wranglers aren't known for their storage.

But they are cool as hell!! I opted for the 4 door, cause we couldn't reach the baby seat in the back seat, so there is a little more than normal, but not much. Anything you do to it you lose at least 1 MPG. Tires, 2, top down, 1. Trailer... UG!  I do recommend the cold air intake, that is helping get it back up a little. The flash pack was a waste of $...

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »

Great score. I like the two tone paint. When you get a chance please post some pics of the insides.
Thanks!
Creighton

JimFromSTL

I'm an IT manager with a zest for mantiques.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:06 pm »

But they are cool as hell!! I opted for the 4 door, cause we couldn't reach the baby seat in the back seat, so there is a little more than normal, but not much. Anything you do to it you lose at least 1 MPG. Tires, 2, top down, 1. Trailer... UG!  I do recommend the cold air intake, that is helping get it back up a little. The flash pack was a waste of $...

Sorry for the slight hijack.

I have a 2dr sahara running 35's, a 4" lift, all new bumpers, usually topless and doorless, rock rails, skid plate, etc.  I got 10MPG to Ohio and back with the trailer.  14 is normal for commuting to work.  I have a Nissan Altima that I use for long trips and commuting, except for summer and snow days when the Jeep is preferred.

Looking for:
Dr Pepper and Hires Root beer items. 
Duncan parking meters
License plates for trade
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 08:58:01 am »

Snuck out this morning before we leave for the Phillies-Orioles game to take a quick pic of the cooler in the back of the Navigator.  Unfortunately last night's game (a Phils loss) went into extra innings so we got home too late to unload it.   Check out the clearance on the top.  The little cut-out in the roof of the car fits the cooler PERFECTLY - as if it were made for it.   Fortunately, we can take my Jetta to the game, would hate to drive to Baltimore with that in the back.   laugh

More pics tonight, I hope.    Go Philles!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 09:00:20 am by jholmgren » Logged

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 09:32:39 am »

Great picture!  Since I install power moonroofs in vehicles, I can appreciate that fit more than most people would, and I saved that photo.  happydrinkers
       Didn't someone here recently propose gathering a collection of machine hauling photos? Maybe they could be compiled in the photo section here, cars, trucks and trailers full of treasures.

Glen
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:59 am »

I haul most of my machines in a Subaru Outback.... fold the seats down (60-90.)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

Thoses are cool machines.  I think the red and white Westinghouses are the nicest looking machines, wet or dry.  A lot of embossing.  I believe the cold water will chill a drink faster than an ice or air cooled machine.  Water transfers heat better than air and it has a larger surface area over ice.  

There was one in Wisconson for $325.00 a few weeks back.  My buddy wanted it and I told him we could get it last Saturday.  We were going to pick it up the Saturday before but the guy was busy so we all decided on the following Saturday.  Then he wrote Tuesday me and said he sold it.  What a dick. veryangry

A lot of stuff.
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 01:20:30 pm »

The cut out in the roof of the truck is uncanny!!  It's like who ever designed the car, had the idea of people transporting a westinghouse cooler!

I like the fact that others told you what it was worth, and yet you still pulled the trigger on the price above that.  THe prices that people told you here were pretty much spot on, but you got it bc you liked it, and were comfortable with the price.  Making money off machines is great, but enjoying these machines is even greater!!!

happydrinkers
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:32:36 am by bonovox » Logged

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:08 pm »

Making money off machines if great, but enjoying these machines is even greater!!!

happydrinkers

Truth

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 08:44:55 pm »

Thanks everyone - We just unloaded it. Good to know that if I ever have to transport it, I have a vehicle for the job.   Cool

I just took a series of pictures of it in the living room (temporary home) and I will work on uploading them to my website shortly.   

As to what I paid for it:   I have  a HUGE amount of respect for the veteran collectors/restorers on this site and I value their opinion highly.  I mean than sincerely.  Yes, I did go a bit above the prices I was given, but I factored in two things: 

1) I am on the East Coast, and there seems to be a bit of a pricing premium out here that is not necessarily present in the Midwest.
2) I am into this hobby because I really love these old machines, clearly not to make any money.

Maybe someday my boys will be contacting you all (or your children) on this site asking for assistance in selling Dad's old Coke machines...and by then maybe everything I overpaid by $100 or so today will be worth a whole lot more...or maybe not.   laugh   

Either way, I felt comfortable with the price I paid and I'm enjoying the heck out of building up my collection thanks to all the helpful advice and opinions I've received here on this site.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 06:15:39 am »

Those are some great pic's in the back!! Who knew Lincoln designers were Westy fans!! And say hi to Papelbon for us in the Red Sox nation, we miss him.... No, we REALLY miss him!!!!

Tim
jnapp18
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:10 pm »

I am about to buy one myself just to get a few parts off of it. let me know if you need anything off of it before i flip it
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:31 am »

I am about to buy one myself just to get a few parts off of it. let me know if you need anything off of it before i flip it

Thanks Jack - sent you a PM.

-Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: