SMC Discussion Areas
May 12, 2024, 07:10:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pepsi Ideal 70 Slider - Any Advice?  (Read 2651 times)
gct123

« on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

Hi All,
I'm a new member and I just bought my first machine.  Based on info I found on this site, I'm pretty sure is an Ideal 70 slider (has bump-out on left side).  It seems to be missing the side ID tag though.  I paid $150 for it.  It has an embossed Pepsi double-dot logo.  It's missing the coin mech and slider rack and has been painted terribly a couple of times.  I don't know if it runs or cools yet - the cord is frayed where it's been re-attached near the compressor.  I want to fix that before I try it.  I'm new to this so I'd appreciate any advice I can get on restoring it.  Does anyone know exactly what year(s) the 70's were made? 

Thanks,
Greg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:35:07 pm by gct123 » Logged
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:53:18 pm »

Welcome to the site, not sure about the age, but it looks to be in decent shape. 
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »

The Double dot was used by Pepsi until 1951, sorry i can't be more precise. 

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
gct123

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »

Thanks David, Kilroy.

Update - I taped up some of the frayed wiring and plugged 'er in.  The compressor and blower motor run, but I'm not sure it cools.  I ran it for about 15-20 minutes and didn't notice a temperature change.  Maybe I didn't run it long enough?  I was afraid to leave it running too long - thought maybe it should have some maintenance first.  Might it just need a freon charge?  Is that a DIY type of thing?  Will take any advice I can get.

Thanks,
Greg
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »

I'd replace the wiring first. Fill the machine with water bottles or anything. Let it run a couple of hours. Should get cold shut off and then kick in every 20 minutes or so.
If the door seals are hard and cracked they should be replaced to keep the cold in.
There also is a thermostat that may be bad. A search of the old posts might help.

Recharging a refridgeration system can be a DYI but not advised.
Hope this is of some help.
Creighton
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:56:48 am »

I would definitely make sure it is safe before you run it.  15 minutes is not enough time to tell if it is cooling properly.  However, you can place your hand on the inside wall and it should be cold and beginning to ice up a little after 15-20 minutes.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: