SMC Discussion Areas
May 04, 2024, 07:10:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7up machine marquee custom or real?  (Read 12961 times)
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »

Even though I like the classic 7Up logo, if I were to buy a 7Up machine I think I would opt for the Peter Max marquis.  Love the 'yellow submarine' feel of that artwork!  I wish they would show that animated classic on TV more often.  I have not seen it in years.  I would also love to see "The Point!" with Oblio and Arrow again.  Ringo Starr as the narrator and Mike Lookinland (Bobby Brady) as Oblio.  Another classic I have not seen in years!

I know a couple who are younger than me and they had a dog named Arrow.  I asked them if their dog was named after Oblio's dog, they looked at me like I was crazy because they had no idea what I was talking about.  I had to look it up on the internet to prove to them that I was not making it up!

drinking Tim drinking
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »

I've been looking for one of those signs for a while.  I have one that is trashed and wanted to replace it; love the hippie style of it.

There's one on eBay right now, currently $68.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Peter-Max-7-Up-Soda-Pop-Art-Sign-1960-s-1970-s-Bright-Colorful-/130703472019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e88b593#ht_500wt_922
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:31:33 pm by johnieG » Logged
Jacko1070
10 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:03 am »

HA! The Point, I watched that again two years back with a friend who still had it on VHS.......great little movie (from what I remember of the evening anyway)  happydrinkers Oo
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:20:34 pm »

Even though I like the classic 7Up logo, if I were to buy a 7Up machine I think I would opt for the Peter Max marquis.  Love the 'yellow submarine' feel of that artwork!  I wish they would show that animated classic on TV more often.  I have not seen it in years.  I would also love to see "The Point!" with Oblio and Arrow again.  Ringo Starr as the narrator and Mike Lookinland (Bobby Brady) as Oblio.  Another classic I have not seen in years!

I know a couple who are younger than me and they had a dog named Arrow.  I asked them if their dog was named after Oblio's dog, they looked at me like I was crazy because they had no idea what I was talking about.  I had to look it up on the internet to prove to them that I was not making it up!

drinking Tim drinking

OK, I was born in the (very late) 60's but I have no recollection of that movie so I looked it up.   I

Very interesting and really speaks volumes about the difference in generations.  I have 3 boys:  9, 12,16 years old and I doubt they've ever seen anything animated with an actual 'point' (sorry, pun intended) to it.

Anyway - off that soap box....anyone interested can watch this in its entirety on You Tube.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFlACG6qvI&feature=BFa&list=ULMcT58kjWNww

My apologies for straying so far off topic guys.

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:10 pm »

I watched part of "The Point" again last night after writing that post.  It never dawned on my how similar the storyline is to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer--at least in the beginning!  Still a classic that should be shown on TV more often along with a lot of the Dr. Suess animated classics.  They all have simple but important lessons.

drinking Tim drinking
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:11:53 am »

Looks like that movie was made the year I was born. Did they show it often? I've never heard of it.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 09:13:08 am »

I remember ABC used to run Tuesday night at the Movies, and air original movies. There were some classics  that were aired - The Car, Brian's Song, Duel The Point was another one.
 Keep in mind it seems preachy, but in 1971, there was still rampant discrimination..

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:01:56 pm »

Kilroy--those are all great movies and we must have watched the same TV channels.  "Brian's Song"--if you have never seen it, it is a must see.  And even thought the majority of us are guys, you better have the Kleenex ready.  James Caan and Billy Dee Williams did an outstanding job portraying Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers.

Gale Sayers: [accepting the George S. Halas award] I'd like to tell you about a guy I know, a friend of mine. His name is Brian Piccolo. And he has the heart of a giant, and that rare form of courage that allows him to kid himself and his opponent, cancer. He has a mental attitude that makes me proud to have a friend who spells out the world 'courage,' 24 hours a day, every day of his life. Now you honor me by giving me this award. But I say to you here now Brian Piccolo is the man who deserves the George S. Halas award. It is mine tonight... and Brian Piccolo's tomorrow.

[Theme "Brian's Song" begins to play]

Gale Sayers: I love Brian Piccolo. And I'd like all of you to love him too. And so tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him.

Tearing up just thinking about it.  Just an outstanding movie that is hardly ever shown anymore!

drinking Tim drinking
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 06:12:41 pm »

It's easy to say we all watched the same channels...since there were only 3 of them back then!   laugh

Brian's Song...wow, along with Old Yeller - I think those are the only two movies where I've ever cried while watching. 

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:47 pm »

The original Brian's Song, not the cheesy Lifetime  channel remake.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: