SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 11:58:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoner Theatre With Gum/Mint Reel  (Read 26387 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 06:46:58 am »

I agree that that the reserve prices are ridiculous.  I just relisted my Stoner Jr.  and found that if I put a reserve on, the listing price increased by twenty bucks.  That's too much money for a listing.  If it doesn't sell, your out twenty bucks.  However, Ebay has three or four listings free each month now, but I don't think the reserve is covered under that.  Anyway, I just listed my Stoner at a rock bottom price and I know it still wont sell.  A few years ago it would have been gone.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

The only thing good about having a reserve and starting out at a dollar is getting more people bidding on your item, which looks good, and you might start a bidding war, but as Dave said these machines are at a set price and your only going to bid what you can afford.

I don't know how rare that style of machine is.  If it is as rare as the listing says, maybe you should wait a year or two to list it when the economy is on an upswing.  Then again a rich man might come around and buy it.  You never know.

Friends don't bid against friends.  What I do when me and my buddy both want something I ask him how high he is willing to go.  If it's more than I would pay, I let him have it, even if he bids and the price never made it that high.  If we both bid on it, I would only jack the price up on him and he would end up paying more.

That's hard to do in a forum like this. 

A lot of stuff.
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 07:04:05 am »

I bid on the original auction that was pulled and am bidding on the current auction.

No offense to the lister of this item because my thoughts from here on out apply to E-Bay auctions in general.  I too have never understood listing an item with a reserve.  If there is a minimum price that the seller is not willing to go under, you might as well put it out there.  Sure, the bidding action will be less but at least they will be bidders who are willing to pay what you want.  As a buyer, I (like most buyers I suspect) always have my own buyer's reserve so if the seller's reserve is higher, I am obviously not going to hit it.  I guess if I knew the reserve then I would not even bother to bid on items where my reserve is lower than the seller's.

I have bid on several items and most of the ones with a reserve never seem to sell.  The only item with a reserve that I have seen sell was one that I was the high bidder on twice but the reserve was not met in either auction.  The seller contacted me after the second auction ended and made me a second chance offer for my highest bid.  In that respect, I guess the reserve auctions give the seller a few candidates who may be strongly interested in the item; but, I think setting the minimum bid at your reserve price makes more sense.  To each his own but that is just my two cents.

I also appreciate SMC members who do not bid against other SMC members.  As Brian said, most of our budgets are tight and it helps to not have the bid run up when it is not necessary.

drinking Tim drinking
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 08:10:53 am »

You brought up an interesting point.  I asked on fellow what his reserve was on a Williams mini golf and he told me an astronomical figure.  I told him that he wouldn't get that reserve met and he agreed.  He said he keeps his reserves high so he can see how high someone is willing to pay for it, instead of what he thinks it's worth.  There are many angles out there.  

Again, not saying this seller has an angle.  Just bringing up something that I ran into on Ebay.

Hollywood80 - My guess on a Jr. in nice shape would be between $300.00 and $700.00.  A restored unit would be anywhere from $2,000.00 to $4,000.00.  I've seen them for more, for less, as you said, it's what you are willing to pay for it.

I sent you a P.M on my machine on Ebay right now.  It's in the lower restored range.  Everything was restored except that I didn't paint the inside vending unit.  It was disassembled and cleaned, piece by piece though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:18:31 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:34 am »

I agree with many of the comments here about reserves, why not just disclose it,,, If it's in my price range, I'll bid, if not, I won't waste my time.. and as Someone else said, some peoople do list with a high reserve just so it doesn't sell Too cheap, but often will contact the high bidder and sell to them, even if reserve is not met.. and I've seen and probably done both.. so oh well.. to each their own I guess, but I don't see any harm in posting the reserve.. I did in all my auctions when I "USE" to sell on ebay.. havn't done so in a while..
As far as bidding against other SMC members,,, I agree with Larry,,, gotta have the buddy system.. Obviously the seller is trying to get the MOST for his Item that he possible can, that is why it's on Ebay.. right? ... so if multiple members want to bid, and you don't really want to step all over each other, maybe you should get together and figure out what each is willing to spend... I know that might be hard on a forum, but that is what would happen if I went to an auction with a few friends and we saw something we all wanted.. But then again guys, It's on a public auction, so it's really open for anyone to bid, so good luck to all, and good luck to the seller, hope he gets as much as he wants for it.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 09:41:08 am »

mills 400c   Whats a P.M?   Thanks.  I don't see anything in my email inbox.  I see a yellow one on ebay.  By it now 1900.  Is that the one you have listed?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:44:54 am by Hollywood80 » Logged

Bob
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:41 am »

P.M. = Personal Message

Can be found on top of the page under my messages.  It's just about my Stoner on Ebay.  Yes, that's the one.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:46:29 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:48 am »

found it

Bob
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:10:20 am »

I was thinking about bidding, but I am totally unfamilar with what the approximate value is of a machine of this type and condition.  Would have to have it shipped to Oregon, which might make it not worth it.  I see prices all over the map on these.  I like the good original vs. restored.  If anyone could give me a price range for the stoner junior, stoner 180 theater, and the one with the gum as this, I would appreciated it.  I know it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, but a range of prices for my own information would be great.  Thanks, Bob
Bob,
your right about Values, it usually comes down to what someone is willing to pay, and of course where the machine is located will contribute to that price as well as rarity.
The one on ebay right now is a RARE machine, and will command higher prices.. as another just like it with the same features probably won't pop up for quite a while.
now on the other hand you can get into a Stoner Jr. from anywhere from 500-600 bucks or so... Stoner 180's Iv'e seen several aroudn the 300-400 range, due to the bigger size. now when you throw gum wheels and other features on them, that will affect price.
If you never have worked on a machine before, your best bet is to buy Larry's machine, His restorations are TOP NOTCH, he's very detailed, and the machines he just did, (I have seen them) are beautifull and for the price , most guys charge well over 2500 for that quality of a restoration.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Hollywood80
5 Cent Member

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »

Hi all.  As you can see I am pursuing this candy machine thing.  I appreciate all the comments and ideas. The restored machine looks great, but the color just wont work for me.  The lady of the house has to be considered. Any thoughts on this machine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130326842194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT    I have asked the seller several questions a couple of days ago, but have not been able to get a reply.  Anyway, just curious what you all think.  Bob

Bob
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 01:22:21 pm »

As long as the parts are there, that one should be fine.  You'd just have to clean it up on the insides to get it to work.  They are usually gummed up.

The grey or white paint was added on, I can't tell if the green is original hammertone or not.  The pictures too grainy.

A lot of stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: