SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:45:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo and VMC 81 Large Vent vs. Small Vent Cabinets  (Read 3381 times)
Cameron

« on: July 10, 2009, 11:59:02 pm »

I was wondering if anybody knows for sure if the large vent cabinets on the Vendo and VMC 81's predate the small vent cabinets. I have been reading Classic Soda Machines by Jeff Walters. As far as the Royal Crown VMC 81 he states that "All RC "81's" came with "large vent" cabinets which indicates that they were produced in 1955 or '56." Does anyone know if this applies to all Vendo and VMC 81's. My VMC Pepsi 81 has the "large vent" cabinet. I have also seen the VMC Pepsi 81's with the small vents. I have also noticed that there are some mechanical differences between the large vent and small vent models.

Cameron

Cameron
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:56:24 am »

I've always wondered why the RC 81 had large vents and the other 81's had small ones.  Maybe the RC 81 was the first large door model produced and the other companies followed.

coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:31:59 am »

The VMC 81 generic that I recently picked up has the large vents, The Pepsi 81 I had a few years back had the large vents as well. As far as mechanical differences between the two explain?? Im at a loss there.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Cameron

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »

These photos show the differences between the “large vent” and “small vent” models. The top photo is the before shot from the last restoration of a VMC Pepsi 81by Glen Boyd (MoonDawg). The bottom photo is my large vent VMC Pepsi 81, currently being restored by Glen.

Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology for the different parts. The small vent model has an approximately 2” diameter tube (red arrow) whereas the large vent model does not have this tube.   Also the small vent model has a smaller, more oval-shaped reservoir (green arrow) whereas the large vent model has a larger-fatter, round reservoir.

I have also noticed these differences in the Coke Vendo 81’s. In the photos I have seen, the Vendo V-81A & B models have large vents and the V-81D has small vents. There is an original owners manual for a Coke Vendo 81 (V-81A model?) at http://www.retroplanet.com/blog/vintage-vending-archives/coca-cola-vendo-81-44-39-soda-machine-service-manuals/. You have to click on the photo to download the manual. Page 27 of this manual shows the “large vent” model configuration. The manual is dated May 1956.

I was just wondering if most of the large vent models of Vendo and VMC 81’s were built between 1955-56 and the small vent models between 1957-59.

Cameron
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:59:43 pm »

As to the best of my knowledge, the large vent cabinets are slightly older than the small vented cabinets.
Remember this to, these cabinets can and have been interchanged over the years... An Vendo/VMC "81" cabinet can have any number of doors hung on it as well as refrigeration systems...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: