SMC Discussion Areas
June 27, 2024, 07:47:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stoner 120 on Ebay  (Read 7103 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 26, 2009, 09:51:49 pm »

Is this guy crazy!!  He must think that yellow paint is gold.  What a smuck! censored darn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=190296715346

Oh wait.......that's my machine. biggrin blush biggrin

Well I finally finished my two Stoners.  I restored a Stoner 120 and a Stoner Jr. plus the matching gum machines.  I originally was going to keep the 120, but after I finished the Jr.  I had a change of heart and decided that I would keep the smaller Jr.  As you can see in the shots on Ebay of the knob breakdown, I polished all the parts.  The Jr. did not get as much attention.  They both were stripped down and cleaned, but like I said I the 120 was the one I was doing for myself so I gave it a little more attention.  Now it's the one I'm selling.  All that extra elbow grease for nothing.

Believe it or not $2,100.00 is the cost I paid for the machine and parts....no labor included.  The Jr. only cost me $1,800.00 to finish it.  Wish me luck!  If I don't break even, I'll try next year or next decade.

Here's a picture of the 120 and the Jr.  They are both six pull machines.  Everyone calls the 120 a Jr. because of that, but Stoner called it a 120 for the amount of selections.

Which one do you think I should've kept? 

The lighting is bad in my basement, just flourescents.  And a flash washes out the colors.  The color is close to the old R.C. color or a Squirt can, yellow/green color.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:54:31 pm by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:38 pm »

Wow!... Like them both.... wouldn't matter to me... not much differnece in the looks other than the Fresh Candy embossing..... Nice job and choice in colors... How did you paint the long hinge area?
Was it tough?... Did you take that apart too?.... And lets see the gum machines too!
Very nice... good luck on the sale! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:58:34 pm »

Larry,

Looks really nice, best of luck on the sale.  In the pics was that a Chicago Coin Jukebox Pin?  I have that same machine.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 10:02:14 pm »

Very Nice Larry! Good luck!

Who is the smuck in the mirror? Oh wait...that's you!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 07:03:23 am »

It looks sweet, I wish you much luck with the sale. It would be a centerpeice in anyone's collection
 Have you considered taking to Chicago if it doesn't sell? I would think  the corwsd there would be more appreciative of the work you put into  it.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 07:05:18 am »

Very nice and hats off to you. I think I spoke to you when you bought the mirror from BITW. I used to do there restorations and we kind of joined up togather for a short time and I remember talking with someone about the mirror being a bit larger than they would have liked. Was that you? if so we spoke several times on the phone years back.

Curtis, Memory Lane Restorations
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:48:10 am »

Thanks for the comments!!

Eric the main difference is the 120 has the embossed Fresh Candy and the Jr has that metal plate under the mirror, which is normally painted.  I got the chrome idea from Curtis's BITW blue machine years ago.  The 120 is much taller and has a rounded embosed area around the mirror where the Jr has two straight lines.  I have one on a stand and one on a satnd with the door.  The Jr. just looked better on the stand with a door.  The stand also has a straight line effect.

I really liked the embossed section of the 120 until I put that large chromed piece under the mirror of the Jr.  Then I was torn.  I had no intentions on keeping the Jr.  I actually had a party and had these side by side and asked people which one looked the best.  It was 8 for the Jr. and 2 for the 120.  The wife was one of the 2.  Oh well, she don't care she gets the money from the sale anyway.  The other thing that I really like is that the 120 has a changer.  That almost persuaded me.

Dave that is a CC jukebox pinball.  They are a blast to play.  One of my favorites and CC's last pinball.  Everything works great except for the photo cell doesn't work on the spinner after the game is played awhile.  Have you found that problem too?  I used a stronger bulb and that seems to fix it for awhile.  This could be a Johnnie G topic.

Collecture, yes that's me. LOL

Kilroy I am in Chicago, but I don't want to take it there and stand in the lot.  Someone who cruises the lot wouldn't be interested in it because they would by a junker and fix it up, and the general public usually wont go in the lot.

Curtis that was me who pestered you years ago about the mirror.  I wasn't happy with the way it fit and I didn't like the curves (see picture).  I took the door from the one stand into where I was working part time a few years ago and these tool and die guys made me a mirror that fit the embossed area, but when I placed it on there, it didn't look any good because you couldn't see the embossment.  It just looked like a piece of metal on top of another piece of metal.  So I asked him if he could shave off 1/16" all around and he did.  I liked it because it gave a tier effect.  Once I was happy with his design, he made me two out of a stainless steel sheet that I bought.  He used a machine that blast water through a jet and that pressurized water cut through the stainless steel. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:57:44 am by mills 400c » Logged

A lot of stuff.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:15:58 am »

Nice job!

Did you do anything to the trays?  How does the inside look?

BRian

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:24 am »

You did a great job restoring them both, I do like the chrome bar under the mirror hope you don't mind if I use that idea sometime it adds alot to the machine. Hope you do well selling them but I though that was you and never a bother always glade to help out where I can.
mrsoda
25 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

great looking machine, top notch job, I like a lot, i think nicer then any of mine,  As good or better then anything i have seen out there. Keep up the good work.  jeff wolf
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:53:34 am »

Both look great Larry! I'm sure you'll get one sold...
I'll talk with you soon!

John

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pat Pixley
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 09:51:02 am »

Larry , very nice work,how long would you say it took you time wise to get these
to show room quality ?   They are way to nice Cool.

Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:40 am »

Bcharlton  The stainless tray was hand polished with Flitz.  The candy holding tray is painted white and I striped the paint off the flaps and chromed them.  The inside pic is on Ebay.

Jeff thanks for the compliment.  I didn't take the inside grey unit apart and paint it like Curtis did for yours.  Yours is much nicer, but thank you for the kind words.

Pat I spent a good day stripping the old lead based hammertone paint off.  It's tuff when you don't have a sand blaster.  Many days of disassembly and cleaning, polishing, lubing.  I even took the back tubes off and dry lubed all the back candy tray holders.  I had to take the coin changer apart.  Plus the trips to the painter and chrome guy in Addison. 

Then last weekend I decided to work on the gum machine.  It was rusted so originally I was going to leave it alone and just give it away with the machine, but I took it all apart.  Used some Kroil to loosen the rust, sandpaper to remove most of the rust, then engine degreaser to get rid of the Kroil, and finally some dry Teflon lube.  It works fine now.  I must of spent at least five hours on that alone.  I even had the wife go to the glass shop to get that back piece made so it would be complete.  I figured it could be a bonus to whoever buys the machine.  I couldn't answer the total hours.  Too many to count.  Cheap labor though...free! tounge tounge

Here's a picture from when I bought it on Ebay five years ago.  I just don't like the gum machine attached to the candy machine.  Also, there is a picture of the JR.

A lot of stuff.
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 12:18:14 pm »

Nice restorations,
I am kind of partial to the Jr myself but both look great.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
David D
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:27:17 pm »

Larry, that must be a defect with the CC Jukebox machine since I have the same issue.  I also replaced the bulb and tried to dust off the photo cell but after playing for awhile the spinner doesn't always register points.  Otherwise the machine works great,  the CC machines don't get favorable reviews but I've always had pretty good luck with this one.

Thanks-David
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: