SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 02:11:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My 81 restoration  (Read 5482 times)
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »

Alright guys this is my first crack at a restore. I decided to keep the outside original (even though it was painted two tone). The paint is in good shape with only a few holes. I am doing the best job I can on everything else. I plan to restore the inside. I have all new gaskets,motors,thermostat,insulation,stainless screw screws, door liner, ballast, glass, the works. I plan to sure it up as best as possible. As you can see, the beltline rust was terrible and rusted through. I am going to sandblast it and then undercoat it. The refrigeration unit has been sanded and getting ready for paint. Then I am gong to completely rewire it. These are the before pics, I will post after pics when they are ready. I am sure I will have plenty of questions! Thanks everyone for the great advice so far. That helped me feel confident enough to tackle this.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Pat Pixley
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:05:19 pm »

Well it is a good start and keep us posted on the steps you take
and with the photos also.
 smile
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:04 am »

Will do. I am going to try to do something a little different and hammertone the compressor area. There are so many imperfections, it is impossible to sand them all. Hammertone should hide them well. Plus it should look pretty cool! Ill post as soon as its painted.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:17 pm »

Still in the process of sanding! My sandblaster didn't do how I wanted. The rust on this machine is terrible, so the prep work is out of this world. So far the compressor deck is ready for paint. I am still working on the inside of the machine. I got a new steel plate to put over the rusted piece under the liner. Once that is in and undercoated, I will post pics.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:51:29 am »

Okay finally a little more progress. I replaced all the wiring and the ballast. I took out the coin mech heater, and replaced the bottle door gasket. I am ready to get the compressor area painted and install the new fans. Pics coming in a few days. Here is a pic of the new ballast and the bottle door gasket. I was wondering why they didn't originally use flat head screws. I replaced them with the same size stainless steel screws, but the gasket kind of sticks up a little where the screws are. Does it ever lay down flat? Maybe with the weight of the bottle door it will stay flat? Ill post the rest of the pics once stuff gets finished. Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:41:16 am »

Looks great so far, Nothing wrong with original machines just take care of the rust and you will be set. Any questions feel free to ask.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:45:27 pm »

There are a couple guys that make a piece ( don't know what it's called at the moment) but
you basicly cut out the “shelf” or bottom of the cabinet that the tub/liner sits over (the rusted out bottom)
and you place this insert in there that has about an inch to 2 inch lip around that you tack into its place.

Signguy has some made bet he could hook you up... heck he could even tell you the correct name of the part....
check out his site and see his restoration you can see one there I believe.. that would be the best you could do for that area.... Joey is another who has just restored an 81 that has loads of info he would share....
best of luck on the resotration and keep us posted ...with pics of course!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:08:57 pm »

Finally getting somewhere!! Here is the cabinet which just got finished tonight. I ofcourse took care of all the rust and installed a piece like you were talking about Eric. I sprayed it with primer, and then followed up with rubberized undercoating. This thing is rock solid now and shouldn't rust for 50 more years!! I also painted the compressor deck. Now I just have to wire in the new fans etc. The pics don't do the compressor area justice because of the flash. All things considered, I am very happy. I just have to finish the bottle stack, shelves and tub and I am finished. Thanks to all that have helped me to finish what I have so far. Ill post more when I am finished.  drinking

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »

Looking Good!

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
bmw90w
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 08:42:19 pm »

Does anyone have the piece of metal the thermostat screws into here? I accidentally threw mine away darn

Cavalier CS-96
Vendo 81-A
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 11:27:47 pm »

I have one - PM me your address.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: