SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:47:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-BAY Changes Jan 1st  (Read 8939 times)
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:31 am »

Hello Auctiva Community!
We just wanted to remind you of three important eBay policy changes that will begin to be enforced in early 2009.

As you’ll recall, eBay started enforcing maximum shipping and handling charges on books, DVD’s and Movies, Music, and Video Games in October of 2008. Sellers were given until January 2009 to update their item descriptions to make sure that the first domestic shipping option is below eBay’s policy maximum. More details: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/MaxShipping/ and http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/OtherFAQ/#1.
eBay gave sellers a grace period for removing paper payment options such as checks and money orders from item descriptions. Enforcement begins in January 2009. For a refresher on this eBay policy, see this link: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/OtherFAQ/#3
Sellers will need to specify handling time and a return policy in their listings. Enforcement begins in mid-March 2009. More details: http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200810071337332.html

eBay has made numerous changes during 2008 and we expect there will be more in 2009. Our staff has been working hard to keep Auctiva in synch with eBay’s changes and we will continue to do so in 2009.

Have a safe, successful and joyous holiday season,

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »

Great.......

Brian
choice120
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:11:42 pm »

Thats why I sell stuff on craigslist its free not like FEEBAY. They wont be around much acting like that drinking
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:17:04 pm »

Shrug, I've kevetched about the changes Ebay has been making,  but  for exposure as a seller, or trying to locate a hard to find item, it's still the best game in town.
If something better  comes along, sweet, but the other auction sites  just didn't  cut it

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:19:49 pm »

Your wright!, they got us by the, "You Know"
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 02:48:57 pm »

I STILL can't undestand how they can FORCE buyers to pay ONLY by paypal.
If I buy from you by way of a newspaper classified, does the newspaper get a cut of the payment (in addition to ad fees)? I don't think so!.
Surprised there isn't any lawsuits over this.
Another thing...
If a seller cannot leave feedback to the buyer, why is it I am still being asked for it when I purchase something? I don't like being asked, even begged, for feedback. I've had one seller not give feedback because I did not leave him any. And I saw one note say something like
after we receive feedback our system will automatically leave feedback for you. One seller wrote I left feedback for you, now how about me? Thats why I don't like feedback. Begging.
Terry
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:23 pm »

Part of the new rules  for selling require  high ratings ( ie feedback)  or risk suspension.  The rating system  Ebay implented  also  provides discounts to  to the power sellers, prime  spots in  the  new lisitng scheme they came up with, and a lot of stuff that made my eyes glaze.

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 04:05:22 pm »

This could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Great for people who
sell heavily on e-bay, bad for the guy who has an old Coke machine in his garage
and has no idea how much shippers will charge him for shipping across town or
across the country or across the ocean, plus they will make him set up a paypal
account for just 1 item.
         People who sell heavily on e-bay probably don't have anything so unique
that I couldn't find the same thing at the mall here in town.
         E-bay got their start by connecting buyers and sellers of PEZ dispensers,
now they turn their backs on the collector market and prefer to compete with Wallmart.

Glen
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »

Yep... I won't (can't buy/sell on ebbay) anymore... Don't have a Paypal account... well I did till the
credit card expired and when I went in to replace with the new one .. wouldn't do it.... so screw
it... If I really, REALLY need something, my brother has an account and I'll buy through him... but
guess I'm done selling..... oh well... I'vr bought better stuff on Craigslist the last year anyway.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
memorylane
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:50:20 pm »

E-Bay owns Paypal so how can they force someone to use there system where they make? 3%+ on top of the sale and listing fees. This Sucks!! How can they do this. You even have to take out anything in your listing that says Money order or Check, Etc. Or face the O mighty E-Bay Gods! Anyone know anything about the law?
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:51:30 pm »

I saw where they said something about payment at pickup OK. Couldn't you just email the buyer directly outside of eBay's messaging system and say send me an M.O. or check?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:54:05 am »

Yeah I had sent them an email asking if I HAD to have a Paypal account...
that I was just a collector and sold/bought from time to time...
That I didn't want a Payapl account.... Here's what I got!:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to accepting Payments on eBbay.

Eric, please be assured that even if you do not have a Paypal account,
you can accept Credit Card payments through Merchant Account.

I would like to explain this. A merchant credit card processing account
allows businesses to offer their buyers the option of paying directly
with a credit card online (including through third-party checkout) or by
phone. The accounts are offered by many third-party providers such as
banks or credit unions.

Additionally, I would like to inform you that if you don't see the
"Merchant Account - Credit Card" option in the Sell Your Item form,
please click the "Show/Hide Options" icon in the upper right corner of
the Create Your Listing page. You may select to show that option under
the "Payment" heading.

Also, I would like to assure you that safety and convenience are the
primary factors we consider when determining which payment methods can
be used on eBbay. The Accepted Payments policy promotes safe online
shopping through payment methods that are secure, easy to use, and
reliable, and which offer high levels of protection.

We encourage members to use PayPal. It's convenient, and it offers
buyers and sellers industry-leading protection against fraud,
chargebacks, and theft of sensitive information. Merchants who have
credit card processing capability can also offer buyers the option of
paying over the phone or online (including using a checkout feature).

In addition to PayPal, members can pay by credit card, as well as
offline payment methods, including checks, cashier's checks, money
orders, and COD -- even cash, in some cases. Although offline payment
methods don't offer the same level of protection or convenience as
online payments, they can be appropriate for certain types of
transactions.

>From time to time we evaluate new payment services as they arise to
determine whether they are appropriate for the eBbay online marketplace.
Payment services that we don't accept may be outstanding services for
consumers in other marketplaces.

Among the factors we consider are:

- Does the payment service offer substantial financial, privacy and
antifraud protection for buyers and sellers?

- Does the payment service increase the potential for confusion among
eBay users or involve incentives that could present fraud concerns?

- Does the payment service involve precious metals or other non-cash
systems, such as points, miles, minutes, coupons, or discounts?

- Does the payment service have a substantial historical track record of
providing safe and reliable financial or banking-related services? (New
services typically don't have such a track record, which is why they
usually aren't accepted on eBbay.)

We also consider:

- The identity, background, and other business interests of the payment
service sponsor
- The license or regulatory status of the payment provider in the
countries where it operates..........

SWEET MOSES!  What's wrong with a check or money order...wait till it clears then send the stuff!
That's the way I've always done it and have NEVER had a problem...
Worse problem was getting a guy to pay for a stoner machine (took 4 weeks)
he finally paid... and I STILL have the machine..... that was August!.... I always paid by money order.

Anyway... Thank goodness for Craigslist...It's a road trip from your desk top!
And look at all the gas you save! smile

Eric

WANTED:
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 09:00:41 am »

I see Greedbay/Feebay following the path as our beloved flea-markets...
By this I mean, at one time, flea-markets used to be a viable source to find some cool things! Now, it seems that most have become a cheap market place for reproduction EVERYTHING, jewelry, cologne, clothing, sunglasses, on and on...
Ebay will soon be an electronic version of the typical flea-market we see today...

My six cents,

Jim

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:33 am »

Doesn't eBay own, or have part of Craigslist?

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 11:43:29 am »

I['ll  have to search, there was an article i read a few months back witrh the new Ebay CEO,  in which he basically  srtates  what  Jim  said; Ebay is trying to push for the high volume ( chinese knockoff crap)  thousand postings in a week sellers, and phase out  the mom and pop  sellers.  And though the economy is a part of it, sales are down, and I think  Ebay will contunue to lose customers.

And yes, Ebay Owns 25% of Craigslist.  Craigslist makes money by charging  the  largest markets ( New York, LA, San Francisco) for real estate and  job ads. 

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »

Supply and demand should do them in...eventually. I don't sell on ebay at all now. and I am buying less and less on ebay...maybe I will be buying nothing now, I don't know yet. There are things that I can only find on ebay but I have changed my buying habits to include buying almost any and all parts machines priced low enough for me to afford in my area and holding onto these machines until I need the part or parts from them. I am tired of mis representations and complex paying methods. I like postal Money orders and seeing things before buying them.

Craigslist has been a blessing and I use it almost exclusively now. I miss ebay, but they have pushed too hard in a direction that I can't go in. And if they keep up this stuff, the Antique stores/malls may come back into popularity again.

My thoughts on the issue.
jasmine64
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 03:18:11 pm »

I no longer sell on ebay...I hardly ever buy off there these days.   If it is something I have to have for my shop and cant get it from my suppliers I will occasionally buy it on ebay.   Only as a last resort.  down

Marsha

Cav. CD 22
Choice Vend 168 - Use daily.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »

"I see Greedbay/Feebay following the path as our beloved flea-markets...
By this I mean, at one time, flea-markets used to be a viable source to find some cool things! Now, it seems that most have become a cheap market place for reproduction EVERYTHING, jewelry, cologne, clothing, sunglasses, on and on...
Ebay will soon be an electronic version of the typical flea-market we see today..."

I used to love those old flee markets. But now they are just a waste of time. They are kind of like what I see overseas in places like Africa or the far east. Its a shame that we are copying the business models of third world countries, selling cheap crap in street like bazaars.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 03:37:36 pm »

A friend of mine just sold a Vendo 80 on E-bay. The buyer sent him the funds
by Paypal. This $800.00 has been on hold for a week. Upon inquiry he learned that
any funds over $250.00 will now be held by Paypal until either a shipper's bill of lading
is provided, or the buyer submits a posative feedback on the seller.
         Since the buyer has pre-arranged transport by a private shipper (U-ship), no B O L will be issued at the time of pickup and the machine will be 2000 miles away before any feedback is submitted.
         Hopefully the buyer is honest and motivated enough to leave posative feedback, so
that payment will finally be recieved 3 to 4 weeks after the sale, at the soonest.
         They claim these new rules are in place "to protect the buyer", (even though E-bay and Paypal both collect all their fees from the seller).
         Considering the amount of money Paypal processes each day, the cumulative monthly interest earned while holding these funds worldwide could be staggering.  veryangry
         These new rules also provide an easy opportunity for the con-artists to purchase goods, then contest payment and get their money refunded through Paypal, leaving us without
our machine or the money.

Some day a book will be written titled "THE RISE AND FALL OF E-BAY"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:42:04 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

Greedy Bast**ds... Not sure if the same applies with the US site but the UK site has now also but limits on how much you can charge for shipping an item.... In the Cat that I use most for coin operated machines the limit is £14.00 (about $20.00) how the hell are you supposed to ship a bandit at that price...

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than using Ebay to advertise and then doing a deal or continued deals outside it...
oldskoolcoinop
10 Cent Member

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 08:51:37 pm »

I don't think I will ever sell a machine on ebay again. I have heard to many stories of Paypal reversing the charges to the buyer. I couldn't imagine being out all the money and more importantly all the work by someone doing this.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 11:16:42 pm »

Well.. I still buy on greedbay... I email the seller to see if they'll take a money order and so far so good... I paid cash when I picked up the Grapette cooler.... I still notice that some sellers
write in the description they will take a check or money order...
These new rules are for them to make money by forcing paypal... and Glens right my buddy sold
some lawn equipment and he couldn't touch the funds till the buyer left a positive feedback.
took almost 2 months!
So he's back to running ad in the local paper...

Eric

WANTED:
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

I still buy and sell on eBay - just not as much as I once did.
I listed a restored LD mech and sold 2 other mechs through the eBay messaging system which will be settled outside of eBay and PayPal.  biggrin

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 03:51:08 am »

Thats how I generally do it here in Singapore. Ebay is just catching on in Asia. However most auctions never go to the end. Since this entire country is 17 to 19 miles long you can self collect anything. Ebay here is more like Craigslist. You see something you want and you email the seller make an offer and go get it. Ebay knows this and charges all of their fees at the beginning. PayPal just started here in Asia so that is something new here. Right now I have my HP Laptop on Ebay Singapore and I have had a dozen offers. Most have been scammers which is another rant all together.
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 09:02:05 pm »

I am also emailing the seller and asking if they except Money Orders. So far it has worked out. I have a hard time with the credit thing. Too many risk involved.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:54 pm »

I think ebay is actually setting themselves up for more "outside" of ebay transactions.. For anyone who is selling some thing a little more unique and rare,, it's a great place to get the exposure, generate some interest, and then Bam, pull the listing and deal with the offers he most likely will get off line ... It will be interesting to see how that will work... I too have gotten around the whole paypal required thing.. just contact the buyer/seller and arrange it..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 08:46:24 pm »

A friend of mine just sold a Vendo 80 on E-bay. The buyer sent him the funds
by Paypal. This $800.00 has been on hold for a week. Upon inquiry he learned that
any funds over $250.00 will now be held by Paypal until either a shipper's bill of lading
is provided, or the buyer submits a posative feedback on the seller.
         Since the buyer has pre-arranged transport by a private shipper (U-ship), no B O L will be issued at the time of pickup and the machine will be 2000 miles away before any feedback is submitted.
         Hopefully the buyer is honest and motivated enough to leave posative feedback, so
that payment will finally be recieved 3 to 4 weeks after the sale, at the soonest.

I just sold a restored LD on eBay and within hours was able to withdraw $800+ funds into my bank account with no problems. It seemed normal saying funds would be credited in 3-4 days depending on bank policy.
I will follow up this post when funds actually get credited.
The listing also drummed up 1-2 mech restorations and a sale, so well worth the fees to me if they all come to fruition.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: