SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 10:45:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vinyl decals  (Read 2124 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« on: March 31, 2008, 10:15:52 am »

Has anyone ever tried to make decals from a pc printer?  I have an ink jet printer and I was wondering if anyone has ever made a decal using that kind of printer and if the ink runs.  They have a spray that you can use to prevent the ink from running, but I was looking at the vinyl bumper paper and it mentions that "This ink residue may have a tendency to run slightly."  That's not good!!  Who wants a smeary decal.  And that's before it is sealed.

There's a few sites on the web that sell paper.  Here is one of them.

http://www.mcgpaper.com/

I need to make two vinyl decals and one water slide for a nut machine that I am planning on restoring.  If I send the images to a decal shop, they would be pretty expensive.  It's not a very common machine so I doubt that I could turn any of the store bought decals around.

I hear laser printers would be the way to go.  Maybe I'll check with Kinko's, but the last time I was there, I didn't really care for their work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Larry

A lot of stuff.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:33:58 am »

I have never used home made decals but I have sprayed clear over ink jet vinyl decals. You must first spray several VERY light (almost mist) layers of clear first. The mist isn't enough paint and thinner to make the ink run. It just builds up a layer of protection between the decal and the paint. Once you have a good barrier you can lay the clear on regularly. It really works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: