SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 12:14:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My start in the hobby - wish I could go back!  (Read 2387 times)
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« on: February 07, 2008, 10:57:44 am »

Greetings!  I thought I would relate my start in this hobby, and my subsequent regrettable later moves...
It was 1990 and I was in Del Rio, Texas (where I'm at again) as a brand new Air Force Lieutenant going through pilot training.  I had always been into antiques, and had always wanted an old soda machine or two.  While driving around one day, I spotted what appeared to be a white-top Coke machine behind a fence in a partially collapsed building.  There was a weathered for sale sign on the property with a phone number, so I called.  It turned out the owners lived in Mexico (only 3 miles from where I was).  We arranged a meeting, and he unlocked the gate and let me in to see it.  It was a Vendo 81A if memory serves.  It was complete with a bit of surface rust here and there, bad wiring, and a broken door glass.  I asked how much (he spoke no english, so I used my high school spanish), and he asked for which one.  I gave him a good confused look.  It turned out there was also a Westinghouse Standard ice box behind me against a wall, minus lids but otherwise decent.  I pointed to the V-81, and he said $25.00.  After I picked my jaw up, I asked how much for both!  He replied $50.00, at which time I nearly broke my arm pulling my wallet out.  To my horror I only had $44.00 on me.  He quickly said that was fine, and they were both now mine!!  I loaded the V-81 into the back seat of my 1984 Mustang convertible (with the top down), buckled it in, and drove it back to my place.  I got quite a few stares!  I then went back for the Standard.
While there in Texas, I also was given a 6-case vertical Coke in very nice shape from the local museum owner who was glad to get it out of his store room at the museum, and a square top 1960s bottle machine and 1970s can machine.
Unfortunately, a few years later I ended up selling the V-81 to a guy who restored machines in NC while stationed there.  I got $450 for it, which was great in my mind at the time.   darn  I sold the 6-case to another collector who wanted it for a fair price considering the cooling system wasn't complete or working.  I also traded the two square-tops with $50.00 to an antique dealer for a really nice White Mountain Grand oak ice box, which I still have. 
I still have the Westinghouse Standard, still unrestored (needs paint and lids).  I had bought an original cap catcher for it at an antique shop for $5.00, but it was lost by the guy that had the machine to paint them (never painted either).
Since then, I have found some nice machines for my collection.  I still don't have a Vendo 81, and probably won't get one for such a good price again!  I'll keep watching for one!  Right now, I'm eyeing an Atlas Junior Dr. Pepper box in decent shape.  I'll keep y'all posted if I get it...
Just my 5 cents!
   Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:21:44 am »

It's just like Fishing... the stories about the ones you got and the ones that got away are the best part!!!!
GOod luck on your quest...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 07:49:17 pm »

I have two Dr Pepper Atlas coolers. How is the one you are looking at? Good shape, they want a good price for it?

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:22:01 am »

This would make our second Atlas Dr Pepper cooler.  We have a restored Atlas Senior box.  The Junior is decent from what I have seen so far.  The lid has some rust, is missing the handle, and may need to be replaced.  There is also some rust in the bottom of the tank.  Otherwise, other than an amature paint job on it, it looks pretty nice.  The sign on the front has some chips, but looks decent.  It looks like the price will be in the $250-$275 range.  It sure would look good next to the Senior and SelectiVend S-48!
Which version S-48 is the one you have listed in the classifieds?  Ours has the bottle chute below and bottle opener above, both to the right of the coin door.  It's also restored, but was done in the white door/green body scheme that was much later than the original on the machine.  The paint job is too nice to re-do it right now!  Too many other projects need attention.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:28:53 am »

That's a neat story Greg. Yeah, 81's don't usually come along that cheap but you found one then and I'm sure you'll find another!  biggrin

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: