SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:59:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inflation in the price of soda.  (Read 2329 times)
Pixel
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:38:17 pm »

Has anyone else here noticed the price of Coca Cola and Pepsi both have went up
lately, even when they're "on sale"?

I remember back just a few years ago, less than 10, you could get a 12-pack of Pepsi's
(or Cokes) for just about $2 even when they were on sale. Used to be my family wouldn't
even consider buying sodas for $2.50/12 pack case. Recently though, the price has went
up considerably. It's very fortunate if you can find a 24-pack for $5. New sales quantities
have entered the marketing lingo. Where 2/$5 and 2/$4 were once common, now you get
4/$11 ($2.75) and sometimes 4 for $12, and even the 4 for $12 can be regularly seen
with restrictions like "With $10 additional purchase". Anything less than $3 a 12 pack is
now treated as on sale. $2.50/12 (or to be more precise, $4.97-$4.99 in a case of 24)
are now rock bottom.

What happened? I've heard the price of corn has went up vis-a-vis the price of ethanol.
This raises the price of corn products like corn syrup, and there we go.

I find it ironic the switch to high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener was because it was
cheaper to use. Now that is seems corn syrup prices are leading to a rise in the price of
sodas, I wonder - would corn syrup ever become so expensive that it would be cheaper
for soda manufacturers to use cane sugar again?
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:42:54 pm »

I heard it was due to aluminum and plastic costing more.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
Pixel
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 02:12:44 am »

I hadn't heard that till you mentioned it, but it makes sense.

It's probably both packaging and ingredients . Everything is costing more, or at
least it seems so.

Sometimes I think companies just want an excuse to raise prices.
Curless Auto Repair
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:43:46 am »

You have to think about it for a minute.... how much more does it cost you to drive your car today than 5 years ago? If gas prices piss you off, imagine if you were filling a semi with 250 - 500 gallons of diesel fuel at $3.20 + a gallon. Don't fool yourself into being angry with the manufacturers, they are passing along the savings!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: