SMC Discussion Areas
June 21, 2024, 03:25:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning the galvinized steel  (Read 5270 times)
kahonwes
« on: August 15, 2006, 10:43:16 pm »

I want to clean off the inner tub, my machine has almost no rust on the inside with exception of a few tiny spots, is there any recommended method to cleaning this thing, and if there are tiny rust spots, got any idea how to cover them up once the entire tub is cleaned and removed of rust.

My Machine inner liner is fine, its mostly the bottle rack thats got a few spots of rust here and there.  

k - laters
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:08:32 pm »

I have used CLR cleaner (50/50 with water) on smaller galvanized parts with great results. Don't leave it too long (10 minutes) or it will take the coating off. I guess you could manipulate it around the tub with good results.
I've used POR15 on the bottom of liners and it works great. Original maintenance instructions were to apply aluminum paint to rust spots.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:22:00 am »

For little touch ups like this, you can wire brush the rust area, clean and cover with cold galvanizing spray.

My six cents,

Jim

loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:15:04 am »

Hammertone silver looks alot like the origional color. You really can't tell much difference if you apply it in really light coats so that it doesn't hammer. The cold galvanizing spray I have used never sets up hard and is easily scratched and rubs off easily. On all of the machines that I do I paint all galvanized parts with rustolium silver hammer tone. It is really durable and looks great. Joesquid did a 6 month test on it here on the site with great results. Here are some pics of what it looks like done.
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 06:45:29 pm »

A little CLR will go a long way!

Hammertone works wonders.

Eric

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »

Clean your tub with SOS pads and high pressure water. Then paint it with silver Hammertone.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
kahonwes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 12:03:32 am »

Thanks for the advice, so far my inner liner is immaculate, not a spot of rust on it, which is surprising to me.  The bottle rack,(finally I remember the name) has a few tiny spots, nothing major, and the things that rock the bottles from side to side have rust on them but I might for the #### of it get them chrome plated just for fun lol...

An additional question is?  I think the silver hammertone looks great but is it necessary for me to paint the entire rack because of a few spots, or should I just spot paint the rust areas...  I dont want to take apart the bottle rack just yet, I have a feeling this will give me trouble putting it back together, if I do I'm going to photograph every step I take to pull it apart....

k - laters
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 02:02:31 am »

There is no need to take the rack apart to paint it. If it were me I would paint all of the insides. It seems that if you are going to do to this much trouble to restore a machine why not go all the way. It really looks great when it is done and it lasts a long time. I will say that if you are going to paint the rack I would paint all of the galvanized parts. It would look alot better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: