SMC Discussion Areas
September 20, 2024, 10:40:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thought this was interesting  (Read 6408 times)
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 02:13:24 pm »

Since I've been in Canada it's been pop..  back home in Australia it's "soft-drink" and not soda or pop..  also coke was only used to refer to coca-cola and never to refer to pop in general or even generic cola.

Pop is also more expensive over that way..  35c to 50c is normal for a can of coke here (25c generic).. back in Australia a can of coke is about $1.60 - $2.00 a peice.. and generic cans are about 75c each..
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 06:33:19 pm »

How long have you been on this side of the world? Is that price of soda on the same currency scale?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 07:29:03 pm »

Been here about 18 months.. arrived last Feb..  and $1 australian is about 90c Canadian or 75c USD.. so $1.45 - $1.80 per can CDN, or $1.20 - $1.50 per can USD

Obviously it works out cheaper if you buy it per case (like 55c per can), but still more expensive than North America.

You also don't see collectable machines or even machines of any kind for sale really, which is ironic coz I had much more space to put them.

petey64
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:43:55 pm »

in my neighborhood it's refresco
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 10:37:44 am »

In Maine and some parts of New England they call it a 'Tonic' which I always thought was odd.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:20 am »

Here in England, The mother of all countries the word Soda doesn't really exist. "Soda Water" is what you
would get if you asked for Soda.

When I grew up we refered to anything fizzy as Pop... Now I guess branding has taken over and its Coke. Even for Pepsi. I don't know many people who could tell the difference or if they could wouldn't care anyway.

Personally I prefer Pepsi but don't think I'd go to the extent of sending it back if Pepsi Arrived. Thinking about it the only place you'd be likely to get a pepsi here is Pizza Hut.

Dave
Skeleton Man
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 03:57:54 pm »

Over here you find coke at McDonalds and Pepsi at KFC and most pizza places. It's a tossup which one you'll find in smaller take-out stores.

I've always been partial to coca-cola.. generic colas simply won't do and pepsi is a last resort if I'm eating out and they don't have coke. If it's for mixed spirits though it has to be coke, anything else is unacceptable.
Gumbo
25 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 06:01:57 am »

I grew up in the deep south (Louisiana/Mississippi.) Coke the drink, or at lease the word coke dominated the market share. Someone would ask "do you want a coke?" and you would answer "sure, what do you have?" They would then tell you what type of soft drinks they had. Maybe sprite, dr. pepper, RC, 7-up, barq's rootbeer or coke. Pepsi was usually not a choice, except at Pizza Hut.

Anderson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: