SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:45:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New vmc56 - update  (Read 3129 times)
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:06:51 pm »

Ok... I picked the machine up today (vendorlator Vf56 B-K). On average, it is like I expected. The interior is not as rusty as I thought (woohoo), but the paintjob is not as good (d'oh). Some of you astute sodapoppers were able to figure this out from the pix.. I'm impressed.

I'm waiting a day or two to plug it in, but for the moment I'm having fun looking at the innards of the machine and planning the cleanup operation. The "woodgrain" was so cheesy that I almost kept it, but in the end I couldn't stand it an peeled it off easily. Cheap contact paper. The paint underneath was scratched a little, but oherwise not too shabby.

One question: I am able to operate the vending cams (the things that release the bottles) by hand, but the 12 oz beer bottles that I tried were too large in diameter to fit through the openings. The vending shelves are already set for "large" bottles. Am I screwed? Are there tricks to make it work with 12 oz'ers?

thanks...

-matt
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 10:21:48 pm »

Matt - I've got the same machine and long necks work fine....  If the bottle fits through the hole in the vending assembly then the  gate rollers shouldn't get in the way.

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 10:28:19 pm »

Did you try a couple different bottles?  There are some 12 oz'ers that are wider.  Most national beer brands will fit ':drinkers:' (Lite, MGD, Coors, etc.).
You might also try it after you have power - you might think that you are totally releasing it, but not.  Also, your vending mechanism might need lubed.  (Others please chime in if I am wrong about this:) I think that VMC's were pretty close to Vendos.  Check out this post: http://soda-machines.com/cgi-loc....+galaga (it's one of my first threads).

Good luck and let us know how things go (plus pics without the contact paper). Cheers ':drinkers:'

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:10:59 pm »

I tried the vending mechanism again last night, but this time with power on and the vending solenoid actuated. The vending linkage worked like a charm. The coin mech needs some attention, but I am planning to bypass it for now by rigging up a free play switch.

I also tested the limits of the cooling system. The 'hottest' thermostat setting kicked the compressor off at about 50 degrees F. The coolest setting kicked it off at about 30. I assume this is about right, since the optimal bottle temperature is about 35-40.  I am amazed that this 40+ year old machine can still "get 'er done".

Woohoo! Now I'm getting excited. I am going to try to have it fixed up and back together in time for the 4th of July, what with the red, white, and blue Pepsi paintjob and all. Pictures will be coming, but since I don't have a digital camera, y'all will have to use your imaginations for a while :^)

-matt
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 01:30:02 pm »

Congratulations, glad that is working out for you!  Can't wait to see the pics.
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 02:11:14 pm »

Did you get it to work with the long necks?  ':drinkers:'

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:31:20 pm »

Quote (hartlenb @ June 22 2005,3:11)
Did you get it to work with the long necks?  ':drinkers:'

Yes.. I tried two different bottles, and they both worked fine. When I had tried it before (without power), the vending gates (things holding back the bottles) were prevented from opening fully... just as they were designed to do! Kind of a "duh" moment on my part. :^)

live and learn!

-matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: