SMC Discussion Areas
June 27, 2024, 01:37:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not getting cold...  (Read 8469 times)
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:37:32 am »

Hello Everyone!
Here is the problem I'm having...  I got my VF-56 Square Top machine about 2 months ago, it had been getting really cold (32 degrees).  And now this past weekend I noticed that it wasnt getting that cold anymore (61 degrees)...  I adjusted that theromstat, but that didnt help!

Do you think that it may need freon added?
And if freon needs to be added, Can I add it myself?  Can I use the converter kit that they have for to us on car Air conditioners?  I think its a R-1234 (something like that)

Thanks Everyone!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:02:46 am »

First check the fans to make sure they are turning. This is the most common problem.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:09:17 pm »

Well the top fan is running, but the bottom fan it doesnt seem like its running, Does that one turn on all the time?     If it is the bottom fan that needs to be replaced, what do I need to do?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:02 pm »

Well that generally means that the compressor isn't running. Lets try a simple test first. First make sure that the compressor is off by feeling it to see if it is running. If it is not running A common and the easiest solution to this is the thermostat might be bad not letting the compressor turn on from a cycle. What you need to do is remove the thermostat and remove the black back cover on the back of the thermostat. Make sure the machine is unplugged while you are doing this. You need to remove the wires connected to the thermostat and hardwire them together. tape them up so they don't short out and plug the machine is and see if the fan is turning and make sure that the compressor is working and see if it cools. Do not leave the machine plugged in for long like this as it will just keep running. If it works it means you need a thermostat. let us know if this works.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:32:22 pm »

Thanks I will check on that once I get home! I will let you know soon what I find out!

If I do need a new Condensing Unit how much do those run in price?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:40:41 pm »

Unless you are certified and have the right tools I wouldn't suggest you do the work. I am a do it yourself person and I have tried it before and it isn't as easy as it looks. and you need some serious tools to get it done. Vacuum pump, torch for brazing and propane isn't hot enough, guages, and the right freon and oils. I have also had no luck finding anyone local to do the work for me. All that I have found is Global Compressors and a few others that advertise on this site. I would say to expect it to run over $300 up to $600 for a total refurbishment. Again these are just guesses. What I always do is buy a parts machine and rob the cooling system out of it and sell off all of the parts to make my money back.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:43:59 pm »

ok I just got back from testing my machine out!  I did what you stated with the wires, and the bottom fan didnt turn on.  But it did start spinning when I helped it get started...  At times it made a squeaky noise when spinning, I believe that is just because it hadnt spun in a while.  
So what can I do to fix my problem?  Do I need to get a new condesning unit?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 04:39:31 pm »

From here I am useless. Lets wait for someone with more experience to answer on what to do next.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 05:03:19 pm »

You know I was looking at Soda Jerks Works website, and if I'm understanding right the lower fan has its own motor, What I'm thinking is that maybe that motor is bad.  

Since, the fan did start spinning after I gave it a push...  

If anyone has information on this matter, I would greatly appreciate any information!
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 06:04:32 pm »

Gsaenz - so when you joined the wires going to the thermostat the bottom fan didn't start spinning on it's own until you got it started with a push?  Once started it was squeaky but it ran?  

Sounds like the problem is with the fan... So, take the fan out (it does have it's own motor - the motor part is attached to the mount by three screws) and blast it with water.  Let it dry, try a little silicon spray on the shaft if you have it. Then try the test over (without the thermostat).  My guess is that'll clear things up and it'll spin free on its own.... Note that once you reconnect the thermostat, the fan only spins when the thermostat closes the circuit (senses that it needs cooling).

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 06:27:12 pm »

Thanks a lot for that information!!   Yes, the fan only started going once I gave it a spin.  I will try this tonight and get back to you!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 09:45:20 pm »

Ok, I just got done testing it out after cleaning out and adding Silicon spray...  The fan still doesnt spin on its own, only when I give it a push first...  It looks like it wants to start moving by itself, but just can't.  The compressor feels/sounds like its running right.  I do believe that it might need some added freon...  
Do you think a new fan motor will fix the problem with the fan not working?  And if so what model of motor do I need for my VF-56 Square Top machine..
Kevin C
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 10:03:36 am »

Hey

If the lower fan motor is not spinning. Take it out & replace it with a new one. If fact change both the uper & lower fan motors. Take the bad motor to you local AC supply house & get a new one for around $22. Do waste time trying to fix the old one.  Your system is just over heating & shutting down the compressor. While you have it apart clean the coils.

Kevin

Vendo 63-C   On the job
Vendo 56   Going back together
Vendo 56-C    Waiting for rehab!
Vendo 126  Rough outside but loaded & operational
Vendo 110  Under repair
Ideal 55 -  **For Sale make offer
Glasco 55 -  Waiting
Royal 650  On the job
Lance Snack Machine - On the job
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:43:05 am »

Where I live we dont have a AC Supply store, so is there anywhere online that I can purchase the upper and lower fan motors?
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 11:36:38 am »

Contact Steve at the Soda Jerk works or Steve at Funtronics. The fans run around 26.00 bucks. ':drinkers:'

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 02:07:56 pm »

Thank you all for you help!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: