SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:19:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit more education please - bottles  (Read 9272 times)
DanV
5 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 08:04:12 pm »

They are just as durable. I asked my coke guy, who delivers them to my brother's grocery store. He says there are a lot of his clients who use them in drop down machines without a problem
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 11:05:15 pm »

I collect coke bottles also, I mostly collect the pre-hobble skirt bottles. Some of these bottles run hundreds of bucks.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 02:54:29 am »

Well

I was hoping to kick start my collection with the 35 Embossed Bottles currently on sale on Ebay. The chap selling them has been very helpful in trying to obtain shipping quotes. The lowest being $240.00 to England. So guess i'll knock that on the head. It would have probably been cheaper for me to get a flight over, pick them up in person and fly home again.

I also won an ebay auction for a wooden crate and a couple of bottles. Shipping on that was very reasonable. I'd have to wait a year and a day whilst it makes its way over on a boat via every corner on earth, but I was happy to do that. Just got an e-mail from the seller saying that the US Post Office won't ship the crate by sea. Unusally considering I've had a wide variety of objects shipped voer in the past which are larger and heavier than a couple of glass bottles and a wooden crate.

My new found hobby is unfortunately not getting off to a good start. Perseverance is going to be the name of this game.

Dave
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 07:52:00 am »

Dave,
I know it would cost slightly more but if you are having problems with people shipping stuff why don't you have your things shipped to one of us and then we will ship it to you the right way. Once I get relocated I would love to help you with your hobby. Just a thought.
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:41:30 am »

Hello Josh

that's a very kind offer and I may well take you up on that one day. The chap selling the bottles is one of life's nice guys. He really wants to help out but just can't find anyone that will ship it at a reasonable price.

Shipping in the US works out at under $20.00 I figured on paying twice that to the UK.

The distnce East to West Coast is the same as across the Atlantic give or take a few feet. So why such a gross amount of money?

I am on my way over to the US in Sept so I might hang on and see what I can do when I get there.

Thanks again its really appreciated

Dave
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:31:44 pm »

If you're visiting someone here.... get their address and have
your eBay winnings shipped there and pick them up when you get here.
How long will your stay be?.... Maybe we all can bottle hunt for you and have some ready when you get here.

Eric

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 02:59:35 pm »

Hi Eric

that's not a bad idea. The only problem is a wife and two kids under 5. I think that I will be carrying twice as much back with me as I go with. Clothing etc is just too good to pass up. Not sure the airline would be too pleased with a couple of dozen Cola Bottles rattling around in the overhead locker either.

I am house exchanging so will contact the host to see if she minds me using it as a drop off zone.

Dave
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 04:40:21 pm »

for a couple crates and a few bottles.... I'd buy a cheap large suitecase when your
over here and put them in it.... heck...rap the bottles in the new clothes and stuff you buy...  A little bit of a hassle but it's just an extra bag.
When I was working in Kansas for SBC (they flew me there) I bought old drive in speakers,
a couple bottles, a 18X24 sign and a nice crate I rapped and packaged it all up,
double boxed it and it made it on the plane... a Hassle to carry but was worth it.
Eric

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:30 pm »

Eric is spot on. We always end up bringing clothes and bottles back from oversea's travels. Wrap in clothes and mix between checked and carry on. Good stuff goes in carry on. Funny how just about every trip these days the checked baggage comes up short something. Also also ask the airline you should be allowed at least two checked for each passenger. The extra bag charge will be less than the shipping you have been quoted. Hope this helps.
Creighton
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: