SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 12:56:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting but sad article  (Read 3269 times)
Jimbo

« on: April 08, 2005, 12:58:41 am »

Pepsi's Glass-Bottle Line Is ‘All Washed Up’

Found this while searching the internet.  Wish I knew where I could get some of it before its too late.  Too bad I don't live closer to Missouri
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 04:35:57 am »

You know. I ran into a article of a plant in boise idaho that still did glass refills for pepsi. But I couldn't find any contact information. I didn't follow up since I don't care for pepsi. I know, I know. To bad coke doesn't bottle in this area. Sigh. Oh well. Though, I might call just to see if they do other glass refill's. When I get the money. THough I have never seen any bottles except on ebay.

later,

Josh
firemun
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 08:33:59 am »

Hey Folks,
Below is a copy a letter I am putting in the mail today.  What can it hurt.

Mike Johnson
Pepsi Bottling Company
2221 Democrat Rd
Memphis, TN, 38132-1802

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I read with sadness the article in the Memphis Democrat the about your glass bottling line shutting down.  While I have not had a Pepsi in a glass bottle in years, I still hate to see the line shut down as I am a big fan of glass bottles and restore old machines which utilize them.

On thing that particularly caught my eye was the following quote "Johnson tracked down non-returnable glass bottle makers in the United States, but they only make dark glass such as beer bottles.”  

I live in North Carolina and a bottler in West Jefferson is bottling in clear glass non returnable bottles.  I would almost guarantee that they are getting their bottles in the United States.  They bottle 20 - 30 flavors including Dr. Pepper, Crush flavors and others using clear glass.

I do not know if you are inclined to call them, but they may be able to help you locate clear glass at an affordable price here in the US.  The contact information is listed below.

It would be great if you could get your glass bottling line going again.  I might even drive to Memphis to buy a truck load and bring back to Pepsi’s home here in the Carolinas.

Sincerely,

Jeff Kimble

Here is the contact information for the bottler in West Jefferson, NC.

Dr Pepper Bottling Of West Jefferson
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 34
West Jefferson, NC, 28694

Physical Location:
2614 Hwy 163
West Jefferson, NC, 28694
Phone Number: 336-246-4591
Fax Number: 336-246-3861
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 08:46:18 am »

Very nice Jeff. A nice thought.
Now if we could all pitch in a few hunded each, we could raise money for a new machine.
Actually I would do that if it were Coca-Cola.
But despite the fact that I don't like the taste of Pepsi products, I still feel that it is very sad everytime one of the few remaining returnable bottlers closes down (which is far too often).
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 09:08:31 am »

Its hard to tell from the article.  But I think that is from Memphis Missouri,  not Memphis, TN.
If I get a chance I will look into it later.

Marvin
firemun
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:53:59 am »

Marvin, Good call.  I will make the change to:
Mike Johnson
Memphis Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company
PO Box 277
Memphis, MO 63555-0277

Glad you caught that before I mailed the letter.
jeff
Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 03:24:58 pm »

I was thinking that when I read the article too about finding clear bottles.  I get my Dublin Dr Pepper in clear bottles.  Good idea with the letter.  Maybe we should send a petition with it.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: