SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 02:15:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So far...soda machine folks are the best!  (Read 3063 times)
Rob_Feature

« on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:19 pm »

I'm a guy that likes to dive in and learn something new all the time.  In the last year, I've gotten (heavy) into the world of coin-op stuff.  Started with arcade stuff, moved to pinball, then jukes, and currently am learning on soda machines.

What i've noticed, in these travels, is there's a STARK difference between the types of people you encounter in each hobby.  (I'm about to totally generalize people, so if you dont like that, stop reading now  censored)

Arcade people are, frankly, jerks generally.  I was amazed at how mean about 90% of the folks in that hobby are.  Granted, there's a few good eggs in there, but the rest of the people basically drove me out of the hobby (or at least out of the forums...still love my games and work on them)

Pinball people were pretty nice.  Pins are alot more expensive, so it seems to attract a different sort of 'tinkerer' and maybe folks who are a little more old school.  And they're SMART if they work on those things.  Yipes.

Jukebox people seem to be hit and miss.  In my experience, jukes are the hardest thing I've worked on (except maybe EM pinball).  There's a few REALLY smart 'cornerstone' folks in that hobby and they are helpful, but condescending while they help you.  They're really REALLY old school (in my experience) and think that if you're not an expert, you shouldn't own a juke at all.  Oo

Then I came here to you soda machine people.  I immediately noticed how kind and respectful everyone I've chatted with (so far!) is. Everyone is SUPER helpful.  And people are having FUN (which is more than I can say for the other hobbies).  It seems like maybe an older crowd (?) that would be the same kind of people that like to restore cars.  (hopefully this isn't an insult but:) Soda machines seem to be the easiest thing to work on so far, which might be why people are actually having fun.

Anyway, just been noticing all this and thinking about it.  Hopefully I haven’t rubbed anyone the wrong way..just wanted to share my experience and say:

THANKS!

to everyone here for your great attitude and all the help I’ve gotten in this short time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:41:23 pm by Rob_Feature » Logged

---------

-Bob
SodaNoob w/ a Westinghouse WB78 & Cavalier USS-8-64
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:33:19 pm »

That's what a hobby should be.. fun... There are a lot of great folks on here that go above and beyond to help other members...
If you need an answer about anything dealing with soda machines/coolers someone will try and help... even in other areas like your games
and other coin-op stuff... You're on the right site... stick around as you will become one of those that will answer questions for the future
collectors....

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Rob_Feature

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:40:36 pm »

That's what a hobby should be.. fun...
Preach it, brother!

---------

-Bob
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:23:55 am »

I think the soda machine fraternity is rather small. I'm not counting the people who just own 1 machine that they use in their home but know nothing about machines. I think you are correct when you say it's a older crowd and by that I mean nobody in their 20's or 30's. Once you catch this bug and I caught it 20+ years ago it's just a fun ride. After all, what's not to like about this hobby.

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
Rob_Feature

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 06:51:40 am »

Haha...well, I'm 38 so I guess I squeaked in as the youngest soda hobbyist ever!  biggrin

But I think you're right...younger guys are into stuff like the arcade games, so maybe that's why the attitude is so good here and the fun is number one!

---------

-Bob
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:12:43 am »

I'm old and I'm cranky.  It must be because I collect mainly arcade machines.   biggrin  I guess I need more soda machines.  tounge

Actually, in this crowd of collectors, you will find that everybody owns many different styles of collectables.  Everyone has always been helpful and very pleasant.  There is a guy younger than you in his twenties that collects on here and he's always has been a well mannered young man, not like me, I have a big mouth and many times a foot that fits well into it.  I forgot the kids name, but I would say the regular crowd here has or will have an ARP card soon.

I only found a jukebox/radio sight to be a little snippy (There I go again showing my age, only an old person would use the word snippy, and yes, I still have news papers delivered to the house), but there were a few members there that went out of there way to help me understand the unknowns of the machine I was working on.  Youtube and SMC are my primary sources of knowledge when I have a question about a particular anything.

Welcome to the sight.  Jim does a great job keeping it going.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:17:35 am by Larry » Logged

A lot of stuff.
sc1101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:52:41 am »

I'm glad to hear your enjoying this awesome and addicting hobby. This is a great site with a lot of helpful folks with years of experience. I'm sure you will have several soda machines in no time. Good luck with the hobby.  happydrinkers

Siphonmix 5A
Jacobs 56
Surevend P47
Mills 45,47N,65
La Crosse 56
Glascock Countertop
ICY-O Cntrtp Cooler restored
ICY-O 120
Liquid Carbonic Back Bar
1890 Fletcher, 1940 Fischman Fountains
A-8, A-12 Industrial Carton Cooler
Holcomb+Hoke Popcorn
Mengel Wood Cooler
Philip S
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »

I suppose I'm the youngest then at 29yrs old.  I just started collecting the in past 5 years.  I don't comment a ton on this forum as I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as the others, but I do read all the post everyday.  In my few years of collecting I've managed to acquire 2 Vendo 39s, a Vendo 56 & 81, Westinghouse Junior (these are the machines I still have), Cavalier 51, WE-6 (I sold to Rod at Funtronics) and a VMC 33.  A lot of people my age are quite confused why I spend the amounts of $$$ it takes to buy these machines.  It's an addicting hobby I will admit and then my wife thinks the machines are cute too (so I usually end up keeping the machines that I buy with intentions of selling).  I have yet to restore any of my machines,  I just keep the nice originals and sell the others to fund the hobby.  This is a great site, nothing but great people and I enjoy reading everyone's post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: