SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 04:21:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member with a few questions...  (Read 4022 times)
saturnkk

« on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:36 pm »

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I currently have a self-restored, working Cavalier C-51 (White on Red Coke) in my basement barcade.

My question is, besides Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite in the 8oz bottles, what other options are available that will fit my unit?  Dublin Dr. Pepper is gone and other than mini champagne, wine and mudslides, I can't seem to find anything else...

I am also considering addin another unit to my collection (in the garage).  I am thinking of going with a Vendorlator 44 mainly due to size.  First, what is a good price range  for a 7 out of 10 condition unit that is working?  Second, how much more do the Vendo-44's usually go for?  Finally, I heard that these units can be adapted to take larger bottles or cans?!?  What is involved in this modification and how much does it cost?

Also, I live on the water and I am thinking of putting a chest unit on my dock outside.  I would prefer to leave it out all year (I live in MI).  What are some recommendations on a good small to medium sized unit that I should use for this purpose?  I would like to be able to put modern size (can or plastic) type drinks in it and have a selection instead of being limited to one flavor.  

Finally, like many others, I dream of one day owning a Jacobs 56.  To me it represents the most beautiful, art deco styles ever created.  Are these available?   What do running, 7 or 8 of 10 type models go for these days?

Thanks!!!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:02:54 pm by saturnkk » Logged

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:43:35 pm »

Welcome,

If you want a chest style for poolside, then consider a slider and take the rack out. I have pulled 2 from beside pools that stayed out in the New England winters for years and they were still solid and cooling. They are cheap and will be in that price point that you don't care if its out there. ($100-300 for a generic without rack)

The other stuff, maybe someone else will chime in.

Tim
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:22:26 pm »

you're lmted to 8 oz coke  products, though with the new pastic stubby bottles,  other brands may open up

Please don't desacrate a slider to make a cooler. if you must, save the parts to reinstall, I  regret the sliders i let go.
A Vendo or VMC 44 will only vend  the small bottle, same as your  51. 
I'd think of a Cavalier 64, small squaretop that holds 64 bottles, some mode models will dispnse both cans and bottles .

haven't kept up on 44 prices, i would think a good working  model would be around 2500-3000

andyou'll also notice a lot us are from Michigan. The Michigan mafia membership drive is really paying off

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
saturnkk

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

you're lmted to 8 oz coke  products, though with the new pastic stubby bottles,  other brands may open up

Please don't desacrate a slider to make a cooler. if you must, save the parts to reinstall, I  regret the sliders i let go.
A Vendo or VMC 44 will only vend  the small bottle, same as your  51.  
I'd think of a Cavalier 64, small squaretop that holds 64 bottles, some mode models will dispnse both cans and bottles .

haven't kept up on 44 prices, i would think a good working  model would be around 2500-3000

andyou'll also notice a lot us are from Michigan. The Michigan mafia membership drive is really paying off

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't found a plastic bottle that fits it yet.  Kahlua Mudslides and small Champagne and Wine bottles work though.

I have no intention of changing a slider into a cooler.  I want a fully functioning chest on the dock that vends different flavors and hopefully the more common bigger bottle sizes.  Do any work for that?  ...I have never actually used one.

Vendo and VMC - 44s will vend cans it seems as well with this mod:

http://www.fun-tronicsllc.com/index.php?crn=242&rn=1315&action=show_detail

Any cheaper options out there?

It took me over a year to gain membership here!  I had to find a mods email and email him directly as I never got repsonses to my attempts to join!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:41:00 pm by saturnkk » Logged

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

+1 for Cavalier 64. They're simple, well built, and you can usually find one at a decent price with some effort. There are two main types of Cavalier 64 - "CSS", which is bottles only, and "USS" which will vend bottles and cans. The early mostly red CSS are probably the most collectible, though none of them are really collectible in the sense of a Vendo 81, or even a Vendo 39.

If you just want a machine to use, the USS-64 is the best bet. As I said it vends both cans and bottles, and from what I've heard will handle some modern plastic bottles as well. You can find the USS machines in a woodgrain style, same style used in later CSS-64, and even in a relatively modern 80's red and black style. You could even have one restored to resemble the early CSS models, but you probably wouldn't the money back at resale.

Both the CSS and USS come in multiple sizes. The 64 is the most collectible, the 96 is probably the next most common. You can find 64's for less than $500 in working condition. The USS are usually more expensive due to their desirable versatility.

One last thing to note, the USS machines can't hold as many cans as the 6 1/2 fl. oz. bottles that give the machine the marketed capacity. A USS-64 can only hold 56 of the 12 fl. oz. cans, for example. The USS-96 can only hold 84 such cans.

You might also consider a Cavalier C-55, they can be found in working condition around $1000, and can even be converted to vend cans. Dimension wise, they're alot like a square-top Vendo 44.  

Square tops are not currently very collectible as a general rule, but they tend to be considerably cheaper than the round tops. A good quality, reasonably priced square top is in my opinion a great way to get started collecting. Especially if you are on a budget, or trying to figure out how much money you are willing to spend collecting.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:13:24 pm by Pixel » Logged
saturnkk

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:42:55 am »

+1 for Cavalier 64. They're simple, well built, and you can usually find one at a decent price with some effort. There are two main types of Cavalier 64 - "CSS", which is bottles only, and "USS" which will vend bottles and cans. The early mostly red CSS are probably the most collectible, though none of them are really collectible in the sense of a Vendo 81, or even a Vendo 39.

If you just want a machine to use, the USS-64 is the best bet. As I said it vends both cans and bottles, and from what I've heard will handle some modern plastic bottles as well. You can find the USS machines in a woodgrain style, same style used in later CSS-64, and even in a relatively modern 80's red and black style. You could even have one restored to resemble the early CSS models, but you probably wouldn't the money back at resale.

Both the CSS and USS come in multiple sizes. The 64 is the most collectible, the 96 is probably the next most common. You can find 64's for less than $500 in working condition. The USS are usually more expensive due to their desirable versatility.

One last thing to note, the USS machines can't hold as many cans as the 6 1/2 fl. oz. bottles that give the machine the marketed capacity. A USS-64 can only hold 56 of the 12 fl. oz. cans, for example. The USS-96 can only hold 84 such cans.

You might also consider a Cavalier C-55, they can be found in working condition around $1000, and can even be converted to vend cans. Dimension wise, they're alot like a square-top Vendo 44.  

Square tops are not currently very collectible as a general rule, but they tend to be considerably cheaper than the round tops. A good quality, reasonably priced square top is in my opinion a great way to get started collecting. Especially if you are on a budget, or trying to figure out how much money you are willing to spend collecting.

Thanks for the reply but I really need the smaller footprint to fit in the garage space I have.  Also, like some others, I much prefer the round top machines.  My budget isn't too strict but I would like to stay under $3,000 if possible.

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:53:15 am »

You stated you would like a Vendolator 44.........didn't you mean a Vendo 44?

Glen
saturnkk

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:00:58 am »

You stated you would like a Vendolator 44.........didn't you mean a Vendo 44?

I'd rather have the Vendo - V44 but the Vendorlator 44 is almost the same exact unit with the exception of the chrome coin slot and is usually cheaper.

Cavalier - C51 Coke
Glasco Slider Coke

Looking for:
Jacobs 56
Vendo 44
genudoc
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:08:39 pm »

ID 26 posted last week regarding a jacobs 56 he had for sale
If serious, I suggest u pm him

Ebay has several C-55 for sale now with one a dual model

Good Luck and welcome