SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 01:27:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-war Stoner/Univendor Display Glass  (Read 10198 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« on: April 29, 2014, 06:19:36 am »

The artwork is completed for my display glass on a pre-war Univendor; however, this is for the Junior, the six selection model.
I would like to obtain accurate measurements for an eight selection display glass so I can have the artwork created for these as well...
The display glass height should be the same as the junior which is: 7", give or take 1/32" of an inch...
If anyone has the eight, 8, selection model and feels inclined to accurately measure the display glass, I would greatly appreciate your time!
Below is a picture of mine display glass for reference.

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:01:14 pm »

Jim,

I measured mine and the 8 selection machine has a frame around the glass.  The height is the same as what you indicated--roughly 7" and the outside dimension on the width including the metal frame is 25".  I included a picture of my machine so you can see what I am talking about.  I also included a picture of an original glass that somebody on the site sent me.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need anything else.

drinking Tim drinking
georgescustompaint
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »

Tim - that is one awesome machine.
I love those !

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:52:41 am »

Tim,
Your machine does not have any glass presently...?
I'm not sure about the frame you referenced, but would like to know the dimension width inside the frame since the glass has to fit inside...  I'd rather not make assumptions and guess it's 24 7/8" wide...
If your display glass is missing, perhaps measuring the inside frame dimension as best as you can...  The more accurate, the better
Thanks again!

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:01:46 pm »

Jim,

There is a replacement glass in the machine.  I have never taken the display apart.  Let me take a look and see if I can get an inside dimension.

Tim

PS--Thanks Shane!  This is probably my favorite of all of the Stoners I have owned.  Someday, I will have the extra coin to do a proper restoration on it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:01:40 pm by mznb1u » Logged
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »

Jim,

I just took a look at the machine again and after I removed the light bulb for the "Fresh Candy" display, I was able to get a tape measure on the top of the glass.  I make the actual glass 24 3/4" wide using the good old Stanley tape measure.  I also double checked the outside dimension of the glass frame and it is actually 24 and 15/16".

That is about as precise as I can get without removing the frame that holds the glass and getting an actual measurement on the pane of glass.  I am happy to do that this weekend if that will help you but I think you would be safe to go with 24 3/4" is a good number.  If anything you might cheat up 1/16" but with the frame around the glass you might end up too wide.

Let me know if you would like any pictures or if I can assist in any way.  Obviously after you have the 8 pull Display Glass completed, I am an obvious customer--unless you are giving out free samples!  biggrin Cool laugh

As I said, I can pull the display apart this weekend if you want me to do that.  I might actually learn something about my machine in the process!

drinking Tim drinking
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:01:07 pm »

Thanks Tim ! ! !
I'll use the 24 3/4" as the starting point because once the artwork is laid out and the spacing for the cutout windows are calculated, I will know how accurate the 24 3/4" measurement actually is...
The only hurdle now is the correct "arrow" placement for the extra two arrows and what is the correct directional...  Details, details...

My six cents,

Jim

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:14 pm »

Tim,
Do you have another picture of the display glass from the front?
I realize the one posted was not your machine, but would really like to see the arrow placement if I could...
The last two display arrows, left side, are calculated guesses, but do look correct...
Sorry for the low-res image and the green color is the shop reference for cut-outs.
Colors are not accurate in this image but will be much closer on the final product.
Any input is recommended...
Thanks!

My six cents,

Jim

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »

One other detail I forgot to mention is two "white areas", one is the Instructions, the other has " A Product of Stoner..." information.
These two areas of the display glass are actually blank. On my original glass, typed instructions where taped from the back so a patron could read if necessary.  This also the case for the lower window where the Product/Manufacturer info is displayed.  On this reproduction, the info will be part of the decal as pictured.

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:22 am »

Jim,

Here are all the pictures that I have of that original glass.  I know they came from someone on the site though--just can't remember who? The draft looks pretty good to me though. And as you will note in the one picture, the original had an instructions card that was inserted behind the display glass.  To me it makes sense to incorporate that into the decal.  My guess is that area originally allowed for the local vending company to place their information in there instead of the "Product of Stoner Mfg." info.

Hope these help.  Also, PM sent.

drinking Tim drinking
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 04:09:55 pm »

Jim,

Here are all the pictures that I have of that original glass.  I know they came from someone on the site though--just can't remember who? The draft looks pretty good to me though. And as you will note in the one picture, the original had an instructions card that was inserted behind the display glass.  To me it makes sense to incorporate that into the decal.  My guess is that area originally allowed for the local vending company to place their information in there instead of the "Product of Stoner Mfg." info.

Hope these help.  Also, PM sent.

drinking Tim drinking

That's my machine, what did you need?

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:56:15 pm »

That's my machine, what did you need?
An accurate measurement of the display glass. To a 1/16" if possible...

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 08:17:38 pm »

I thought that was Tim's machine but I have so many pictures from various members I couldn't be sure.  I just got around to pulling my glass.  Keep in mind it is a replacement but here goes:  24 5/8" wide by 7 7/8" high.  The visible display area on the glass is just shy of 7" high and the rest of the glass was hidden in the machine.

MaineT's is original so his measurements may be better to go with.  He even has the original card that goes behind the coin return instructions.  Tim if you have not removed the glass on yours, you will see five small screws on the inside of the machine.  Those are what holds the glass frame in the machine.  Make sure you have an extra set of hands so the glass doesn't fall out or lay the door on a table or box.  It took less than five minutes to pull.

Let me know if you need anything else, Jim.

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:08 am »

Tim,
Thanks for your time!
I think the best approach for me is to hold off on replicating the Senior, 8 selection, version of the display glass until I can get accurate measurements from an original display glass to work from...  Otherwise, it's a guessing game and it's too expensive to gamble and see if it works!
I'll proceed and get the Junior, 6 selection, version done this week and go from there...
Thanks for everyone's time and hopefully, someone with an original 8 selection glass can supply accurate measurements...

My six cents,

Jim

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:20 pm »

24 13/16 side to side.

Tim
Wojcik
25 Cent Member

GO WINGS!!!

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 06:26:51 pm »

Mine measures 24 13/16"

1941 Stoner Theater Candy  (unrestored)
1947 Pop'Corn Sez Warmer  (restored)
1920's Coca-Cola themed cash register
S & S 700 7up ice chest
Vendo 81D
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 07:12:31 pm »

Thanks for the width measurements ! ! !
Can either of you confirm the height measurement as well...?
Greatly appreciated ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

6 7/8....

Unless you want it to the 16th, then it 6 14/16!!

Tim
Wojcik
25 Cent Member

GO WINGS!!!

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 07:27:04 pm »

6 7/8" is the number!

1941 Stoner Theater Candy  (unrestored)
1947 Pop'Corn Sez Warmer  (restored)
1920's Coca-Cola themed cash register
S & S 700 7up ice chest
Vendo 81D
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 06:38:01 am »

Awesome ! ! !
Not to beat this into the ground, but is there any wiggle room up & down with the 6 7/8"...? Perhaps there is room for the glass to move up 1/4"...
I'll re-measure my display glass, but I think it is 7" tall and my experience has been that the display glass remains consistent but varies on width from model to model...
Many Thanks again ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 07:14:35 am »

I took mine out so I can't answer if 1/8 would be a dealbreaker. I wouldn't think so, but that would just be a guess.

Tim
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 09:53:07 am »

I picked up the display glass and I am very happy with the replication!
I posted a photo of the original and the new glass...  You be the judge

As far as the 8 selection display glass is concerned, I will use the 7" height by 24 13/16" wide; however, can Wojcik & MaineT measure their display glass opening height on the cabinet door...?
I want to compare my opening size to the larger model. I realize there is only 1/8" difference in height but I'm just covering all the bases! These were a little pricey and mistakes would be costly ! ! !

Thanks everyone!

My six cents,

Jim

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 10:00:19 am »

Is that screened onto the glass?.. That looks awesome! happydrinkers

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 10:19:13 am »

Is that screened onto the glass?.. That looks awesome! happydrinkers
Eric,  It's not silk-screened; it's a decal
And Thanks for the compliment!

My six cents,

Jim

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

Jim,

Looks great!  I will post some pictures of the frame that hold the glass on my 8 pull but I think your measurements are good.  The frame outside opening measures 24 1/4" wide and the exposed part of the opening is 7" high.  On the inside of the frame, there is a lip that is 1/4" in from the frame opening on the sides and bottom of the frame that hold the pane of glass.  The top of the frame is hidden inside the machine and is open to allow for sliding the glass in which would allow for a taller piece of glass and likely explains why the replacement glass in my machine is bigger than necessary.

Hope this helps.
Tim
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: