SMC Discussion Areas
June 24, 2024, 07:31:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Move from pepsi to coke??  (Read 5435 times)
BryanH
Soda Jerks

Sweatin' in Arizona... but it's a dry heat!

« on: January 19, 2005, 09:00:31 pm »

I've been cleaning up my VMC56.  I'm probably going to stop short of a full restoration but would like to clean up the outside at a minimum.  It's currently (and I think originally) a Pepsi machine. I'm thinking that I might change it to a Coke machine given the availability of decals and signage?  

I'm looking for thoughts on what this might do to it's value?  I bought the machine because I like them and thought it would be an interesting hobby.  Can't see my boss agreeing to having more than two of these around at a time (1 working and 1 in process).  So in a perfect world I'd like to be able to resell the machine for something close to the money (parts) that I put into it?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

Thanks, Bryan
   Cavalier USS-96: unrestored, working on the back patio
   CV VUB/C 8-91: a fantasy restoration?
   GE Cooler: in pieces, my next project
BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 09:16:54 pm »

Here it is...

Thanks, Bryan
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 10:34:47 pm »

Bryan,
First off Welcome. The knowledge base here is incredible!

Iin terms of collecting, I prefer Coke pieces, but I love the Pepsi style square tops. If you are restoring or repairing for your personal collection, then go with what you like. Pepsi decals circa '60's are harder to come by than Coke, but they are out there, I run across them in Ebay almost daily.

As for price..I think square tops will grow in popularity and value in the next  few years,  I love the classic Vendo round tops,  but they are getting way to pricey for me, and most people. Will you get your money out of selling them? Depends on the quality  of the machine, but i would think so. Will you get rich and retire sell8ing machines? Hmmm, not likely, but maybe

There are just as many Pepsi collecetors as Coke collectors out there, so i tihnk you could find a buyer either way you go.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 11:11:32 pm »

Kilroy, appreciate the input.  Never even thought of ebay for the decals.  I'll take a look.  I'm not looking to make money on the machine (if / when I sell it).  I'd like to be able to recover my costs so I can keep doing it as a hobby.  Just didn't want to find out that switching brands would kill it's value.

Any idea where I might find some info on Pepsi paint colors?

Thanks, Bryan

Thanks, Bryan
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 11:24:04 am »

Bryan, you've got a nice machine. We only wish we could find our machines in this condition.  There has to be an assigned value in a "nice original".
     I think you could sell it now and could come out ahead. Start painting and signage and you'll be upside down real soon.
     If you really want to paint a machine, there will be many more come your way that really NEED it.           Glen

Glen
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:06:42 pm »

I have to agree with Glen...
A little elbow grease to clean, buff, wax and lube will yield a good return on your money! Should you continue in the hobby, there will be other machines that will require more attention...

My six cents,

Jim

BryanH
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 10:58:16 pm »

I appreciate the input...

Want to be able to bring this machine inside the house so I need to make it look good.  When you say "buff, wax and lube" is that basically the same process as detailing a car?  Or do you guys have some other tricks of the trade that you'd be willing share?

Thanks, Bryan
glassbottlesrule
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 06:46:47 pm »

Same as a car.  Do not get too crazy with the rubbing compound or you can burn right through the paint.  Be careful what you clean/degrease with as well.  I wasn't thinking and used a degreaser from work and deglossed a real pretty machine one time. Also,  I would leave this a Pepsi, things are always worth more when they are original imo.  This era  Pepsi machine looks great at night when that plastic 3-d sign is lit up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: