SMC Discussion Areas
June 21, 2024, 03:37:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting a cardboard sign to the wall  (Read 2539 times)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« on: September 08, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »

Does anyone have experience with mounting cardboard signs without a frame? I have a die-cut cardboard Coke sign I'd like to hang. Has anyone used "mounting putty"? I have some Loc-tite Fun-Tak. Just wondering what the long term effects of using this product would be.
Wondering if there is anything in it to "leach" thru from back to front. Are there any other options for hanging signs? I usually use thumbtacks using the shaft up against the edge and the head holding the sign.
Thanks.
Terry
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:34 pm »

I've always used push pin thumbtacks for my cardboard signs to hold them against the wall. Always worked for me.

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:20 pm »

I agree, I use thumbtacks

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:59 pm »

These might work well. They have a waxy back that stick to the wall and a plastic front clip that won't leave a mark on the cardboard. I use them to hang things in my classroom and they work well, especially if the cardboard isn't super thick.

http://www.stikkiworks.com/prod_clips.html

Google stikki clips for some better images.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:40:12 pm by halehouse » Logged

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04:34 pm »

If you'll stop by Hobby Lobby, go by art dept. There is a product called foam board. Comes in different thickness and some has adhesive just for this purpose. It's for mounting thin paper posters to keep the paper from getting wavy due to moisture.
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:44 pm »

Is this an old sign?... I would talk with a framer or a museum if it is.. the sticky tack stuff has an oil type chemical in it and will stain the cardboard
tacks even if not pushing through (please don't) can leave small indents from the weight of the sign...
I personally would frame it... I frame what I have to protect it.... and keep out of the light and use a UV archival glass if it's a old, nice sign
If not, if it's a repro do what you want...
There are also these little clear plastic corner supports that folks use in photo albums, and larger plastic supports used to hang mirrors and glass
on walls...
Good luck...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Yes the sign is old. I figured the sticky tack had oil in it. That's why I asked. The problem w/framing is $$ because I have many signs to hang. I've used tacks before. I use many to support the weight. I was just looking for options and thought someone here might have opinions. Foam backing might be good. Wonder if the "sticky" is permanent? Or not?
Thanks, thanks for your comments.
Terry Buchheit
Perryville, MO
buzz4041
5 Cent Member

Buzz's Shop

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »

I laminate my old thin ones so I can then pin them through the laminate edges and not the sign itself. Seems to preserve them also from the elements around my shop.

VMC 33 7UP original
VMC 81 7UP original restored
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: