SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 12:36:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 8402 times)
ort8149

« on: January 24, 2013, 11:15:31 am »

Hello Everyone,

I've been checking out the forum for a little while now.  Good stuff here.  I'm about to embark in buying a coca cola cooler to add to my few other collectibles.  I'm hoping you veterans here can help me along the way with advice and direction.

I'm buying a Westinghouse WD-10.  It's the kind of cooler I remember as a kid and thought I would be nice to have one.  I own two Model T's, finishing up a restoration of a visible gas pump, and have a few other things.  The cooler will be a great addition.

It's been hard to locate this kind of stuff in my area, (eastern New Mexico) so I generally have to travel a couple hundred miles to locate nice collectibles.  The WD-10 I've located looks to be in good original condition.  The cooling equipment still works and cools.  The paint is a little worn, but no dents on the machine with the exception of the cap catcher.  It looks as though something hit the top of the catcher at some point in its life and put a good dent on it.

I'll be picking it up this Saturday.  I'm pretty excited about this.  I'll post some pics when I get some taken.

I'd appreciate any help and advice along the way.

Thanks,

Orlando

TNBandit

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »

I just joined this morning and this is a very cool place. Coincidently I also just picked up a Westinghouse WD-10 but yours sounds WAY better. Mine was a failed attempt at making a trailer to tow behind a hotrod. I bought it in this condition cheap and will probably make a table out of it or something. The previous owner gutted it completely, welded the 2 lids together and moved the hinges to the rear and removed & lost the bottle cap catchers & bottle openers. It's a mess but the box itself is dent free and it was only 100 bucks.
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 03:20:05 pm »

Welcome to the forum!  I think the WD-10 is a great cooler to start out with, not too complicated, pretty much just have to get the cooling system up and running.  As long as the lids aren't rusty, the rest should be easy to restore.

ort8149

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »

I appreciate the welcome and comments.  I'm hoping that it works out without too much work.  I've restored a few things in the past and sometimes it's fun and other times it's not so much. 

TNBandit, Good luck with yours.  Please keep us in the know on your progress.  We can both learn about the WD-10. 

I hope to have an update to you all after I pick mine up on Saturday.

Thanks again,

Orlando
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:52 pm »

Orlando,

Welcome to the forum!  The WD-10 is a good machine...I have one on the back patio that we used for years.  I have to replace the fan motor and wiring on it now...and am hammer toning the tub in the meantime.  Where in eastern NM are you?  I'm in Clovis myself.  What else do you collect?  Let me know if you have any questions!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
ort8149

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 06:00:04 pm »

GreginNM,

I'm your neighbor 18 miles south in Portales.  Good to know your nearby.  How can I contact you?  Should I send you a pm?

Orlando
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:49:04 pm »

Pictures are always helpful.

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:23:39 am »

Orlando, PM sent.

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Slapshot42
Soda Jerks

Jared

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 12:12:19 pm »

Welcome to the Site!

I know this machine well as I just finished restoring onethis last Summer.

I would caution you that it's not a good machine to restore for investment purposes or re sale.  But if you are doing it for yourself than it's great one to do.  The chest coolers are a lot of work and they have a lot of embossed lettering which can cost you some big money if you use a sign painter. 

Some of the parts are NOT re produced so make sure to keep track of all your parts.  It's easy to lose them, take lots of pictures and have fun!
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »

I agree with Slapshot.  The WD-5 would be a cooler that would be worthy of a complete restoration.  They are small and practical.  I love mine

BC

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain