SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 08:50:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Research Paper  (Read 8092 times)
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

Yeah Jeff Walter's book would be good... don't think it has much on evolution of the machine.. but it does have some of the earliest models
showing use of cooler/machine placement in the store or station and impulse buying. Like the counter coolers beside the register area.

You may be writing the the first paper ever!  Good Luck and don't wait till the last minute to write it! smile

And yes... Any questions throw them our way here.. a lot of knowledge on this board.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 07:27:55 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll have to look into the books you guys talked about. By all means, keep them coming though!
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 08:32:53 pm »

>>Ya, they like to see message boards and blog sites referenced as much as Wikipedia!!!     

Been 25 years since I had to write a paper but what would be the issue with a dedicated message board?
Understand Blogs and get it wrong pedia.
Thanks!
Creighton

Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »

>>Ya, they like to see message boards and blog sites referenced as much as Wikipedia!!!     

Been 25 years since I had to write a paper but what would be the issue with a dedicated message board?
Understand Blogs and get it wrong pedia.
Thanks!
Creighton

I think it's just the fact that while authors have to go through the steps to get their work(s) published and show where they got their information, "anyone" can sign up to a message board and post whatever they want, with the possibility of no one calling them out on their wrong info.

I do see what you mean though
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of using the SMC database of what machine appeared when.
It would take some time to sort. But think the progression is there.

Hope the task goes well and please post the paper if so inclined.

Thanks!
Creighton

MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:28 am »

Yeah Jeff Walter's book would be good... don't think it has much on evolution of the machine.
And yes... Any questions throw them our way here.. a lot of knowledge on this board.

Walters and Ebners books would both be good sources to name. A thourough understanding of them could lead to creating some very interesting reading material.

Summary: Started with wooden barrel sawed in half filled with ice, then wood coolers, then metal coolers with embossed lettering, water circulators, air circulators , coin operated spintops, upright machines, single vend then multivend, crank handle coin mech.'s then electrics, square corner shelf machines then the can stacks, etc.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 01:08:32 pm »

It would also make sense to contact Vendo as they are still in business.  I suspect that they would have a ton of historical information in their company archives.  The Coca Cola museum as well.  I know (according to the family stories that I have heard) my wife's grandfather was one of the earlier proponents of placing Coke machines at gas stations--at least in the downriver area of Metropolitan Detroit.

drinking Tim drinking
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:36:51 am »

Well, I just got the preliminary okay to write about the machines. I have to talk to him tomorrow to get final approval, which means I'll probably try and put something together tonight. If anyone can think of more sources to contact/use, by all means, throw them at me.

Tom
Tomahawk27
5 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 10:18:10 pm »

Got final approval today. Already sent out emails to Coke, Westinghouse, and Vendo. I would have sent one to Cavalier too but I found out they went out of business in 2000, that's too bad. I'm not sure what to expect response wise but I think it would be pretty cool to get responses from the makers themselves, talk about a primary source!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: