SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 11:28:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vacation finds  (Read 2968 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:49 pm »

Just got back from my vacation to Kansas City to visit some of the Drive-in Theaters (wanted to get one more visit in because I have been told that this may be their last season because of the switch from film to digital movies) and on the drive out, while we were there and on the way home we hit a bunch of antique stores and I thought you guys would like to see some of the stuff I came home with.

My favorite item I brought back is this junction box that I bought from the I-70 Drive-in. Ever since I got that pair of speakers from the I-70 a few years ago I have been looking for a junction box for them. I origionally found one at another drive-in and had it shipped to me but I later ended up getting another pair of speakers and needed a second box so the next year when we returned I asked about getting a box but they did not have any that they wanted to sell at the time (although I did get a tour of the projection booth which was awesome!) so I thanked them and talked to one of the employees about my home set up and what I was doing and then went out to watch the movie. Then this year I decided to ask again so I called them up and was told maybe but they would have to ask and as I was walking up to the snack bar the guy remembered who I was and we talked for a little while before going inside to get some food. I then was told that they did have a few boxes and he gave me the prices (I think it was 18 for a regular box and 25 for the one I got) and after asking what kind I wanted he went out and swapped out the box I came home with with a regular one and sold it to me. Pretty excited about this one since I know what theater it came from, my speakers are from the same theater and I actually have a picture of exactly where it was located for the past 48 years.

The next day we decided to check out another antique store in downtown kansas city. It wa a pretty cool place with 4 floors of just about everything you could imagine. While looking aorund on the 3rd floor I found some old film reel shipping cases. They were pretty cool since they told what theater they went to, what movie they last held, who distributed it and a whole bunch of other cool stuff so I decided to pick one up. I am not sure of what theater it came from but the last movie that it ever held was Phantom of the Opera (1989 version). Later that night we ended up going to the Twin Drive-in in Independence Mo and ended up getting a poster as part of a promotion where if you spend 25 dollars or more at the snack bar you get a free movie poster.  The next day we ended up going to a few more antique stores on the way home and I ended up finding a pop can which I thought was interesting since it was a can bank with a logo for American Can Company so I am guessing that it was a free thing they would give people on tours or something like that and I also ended up finding the last piece that I needed to restore my gas pump. I really did not expect to find that part anywhere. I also ended up finding another larger movie shipping case that while looking at the tag I discovered that the second to last place that they sent that movie to was the Twin Drive-in so I think it is extra cool since it was at a place I have actually been to. Sorry about the long novel of a post. Just wanted to tell the story of the items as well as show them.  

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:12:33 pm by scalebowler » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:33 pm »

Great scores!! I need a junction box. Class project to make a casting?
Thanks!
Creighton
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:52 pm »

Great scores!! I need a junction box. Class project to make a casting?
Thanks!
Creighton

Thanks!
I would make you a casting but we don't have any foundry stuff at school. We did in high school but not in college. Sorry about that
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:31 pm »

Nice scores!... You're gonna have a nice set up and display someday!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:42:27 pm »

Nice scores!... You're gonna have a nice set up and display someday!

Thanks! I think it would be cool to build something like a theater to display this stuff (now have to find some shipping reels to fill up the cases)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35:30 am »

Awesome find for a great price!

We have 2 semi local drive-in's near us. A few years ago my family and I went to go catch a double feature at the closest of the 2. I meandered over to the snack bar and chatted-up the workers and asked if the owner was around. I found him a few minutes later and asked him if they had any speakers or the like sitting around that he might be interested in selling. He told me that he did!

I came back the mext night and was able to purchase 2 Projected Sound speakers. He also mentioned that he had an old amplifier that he wanted to get rid of as well. I ended walking out with the 2 speakers and the LARGE vintage, tube type field speaker amplifier for $40.

It pays to ask! biggrin

Brian
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »

Awesome find for a great price!

We have 2 semi local drive-in's near us. A few years ago my family and I went to go catch a double feature at the closest of the 2. I meandered over to the snack bar and chatted-up the workers and asked if the owner was around. I found him a few minutes later and asked him if they had any speakers or the like sitting around that he might be interested in selling. He told me that he did!

I came back the mext night and was able to purchase 2 Projected Sound speakers. He also mentioned that he had an old amplifier that he wanted to get rid of as well. I ended walking out with the 2 speakers and the LARGE vintage, tube type field speaker amplifier for $40.

It pays to ask! biggrin

I totally agree!
That is awesome! Really cool that you were able to get the tube amp too. That is one of the reasons I like the drive-ins because they are usually a lot more friendly than an indoor theater. I know that they would not have let me take pictures of anything or shown me the projection booth at any of the indoor theaters around here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: