SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 01:08:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam powered tonka truck  (Read 84600 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:53 pm »

Thats pretty cool!
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »

Well I started working on the truck again recently and I thought you guys would like to see some pictures of my progress. I ran into a problem when I first started where the first engine was not powerful enough so I went back to the drawing board and came up with a raised chassis that will house a series of belts and pulleys to gear down the engine and drive the rear wheels and a larger engine. I finally got the drawings mostly done and decided to make a full scale version out of MDF to check and see if everything would have enough room to work properly. I think I should be mostly ok but I do need to work on the front since I put a cut out for some steering stuff but it looks like I need to remove that and put the angled axle in a lower spot to allow some more room inside for the engine to work without hitting the underside of the trucks hood. Also need to design the pulleys and axles and also figure out where to put the support pieces that hold the two sides of the frame together and to the truck.

Here are some pics of my test fit. Was also checking to see if the higher truck would cause any problems with tipping over but it seems my idea to go with larger wheels worked pretty good at making it stay upright on the ground

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:18 pm »

Awesome!! Waiting for the pics covered in mud after a trail run :-)
Creighton
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2012, 12:37:27 am »

That's a cool tonka. Nice work.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2012, 12:20:58 am »

Awesome!! Waiting for the pics covered in mud after a trail run :-)
Creighton

Maybe I should put some little mud flaps on it when I get done
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2012, 12:21:38 am »

That's a cool tonka. Nice work.

Thanks! Can't wait till I get the bottom made out of metal and the pulleys and engine parts machined.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:15 am »

Took the chassis appart and looked to see how things would fit and I came up with a few things I need to do.
First thing is get rid of the cutout for the steering. It is too big and a simpler method can be figured out or the truck can just drive straight if I really need it to.

Second thing is I need to rethink how the pieces are connected. Right now the part holding the pieces of wood together (and the piece that would be there if I machined the parts out of a solid bar of aluminum which was one of my ideas) is in the way of both the crankshaft and the drive pulleys.

Third thing is design the valve block for the piston and then redo the drawings to reflect the changes I have made and make another mock up and check it all again and either find or buy a new piston bolt because I seem to have lost the one I had.

As long as I get this done in two weeks I should be ready to start machining when the next quarter starts back up.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:37 am »

Got part one of the drawings done today. Need to revise the dimensions on the right side of the page (they are all screwed up over there). Pretty much it will be machined from one solid piece of aluminum with some threaded holes in the center where the two halves of the frame will be connected. Engine will be inside with only two sets of external pulleys (if they were inside they would be sprayed with oil and the belts would slip. The front axle will be attached to the L shaped bracket on the front with a bolt which will allow me to have the axle turned at any angle I want. The burner will be secured with two high power magnets. Here is the drawing I have done right now. If you ignore the dimensions on the right that are all screwed up the rest looks good.

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:58 am »

Drawing 2 for the steam truck is done and revision B for the first drawing is being made right now. Had some dimensioning errors in the first one plus forgot to draw an entire view.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2012, 02:06:24 am »

Here are the new revised drawings

Revision B of the frame section

The frame cover plate showing the location of the pulley axle holes and the screw holes for bolting the two sections together

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: