SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 01:45:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the forums and new to pop machines  (Read 8735 times)
Pinballnut

« on: January 01, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »

Hello,

I've been looking for a small machine for a while now. Ran an ad in CL and got a hit on a vendo 56-7. Turns out I know the guy that had it, He just bought it and it was smaller than he was expecting. Turns out he's a fellow pinball collector I know. I ended up trading him some score displays he was looking for,Which I salvaged out of a free machine.

Going to have a ton of questions coming your way about this thing.  I plugged it in for a quick assessment once I got it home. Tomorrow will be a good scrub down and further assessment.

What I know so far........

The good:
~Everything seems to work as it should.

~Drilled the lock n opened the door. ( NO KEY )

~Did a quick n dirty clean on the coin mech. then checked it out. Didn't want to accept quarters for some reason, after several attempts I figured out that I needed to load it with a reserve of nickels before it would work... DOH!!!!!!!!  Set the price of 5 cents.

~ Inside of machine, from what I can tell, looks like it's in great shape. I'll post pics once camera is charged. I'd like honest feedback ! ! ! 

~ All the racks are present

~ Definitely cools.  Does this have an adjustable thermostat? If so where's it located? If it does I'd like to run it for a while on a setting that's not the coolest.

~ No Dents

The Bad:

~ Marquee is metal.  Are the back glasses relatively easy to find for these?  Is the light harness readily available?

~ Someone, in it's past life, painted part of the front door black. Hopefully, I'll be successful in removing it.

~ It's got a can stack  vs. a bottle stack.

That's about all I can tell so far. I think my camera battery might have enough charge now to take a few pics. If it does I'll post some. Again, Please be honest on what it needs/should be done.

Dave
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38:47 pm »

Welcome Dave!
T-stat should be mounted on the evap inside the machine - goes from off to coldest

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:50:40 pm »

Glad you were able to find something somewhat nearby, that's a great starter machine.  The light marquee isn't reproduced, but they aren't too hard to come by via members on this site, I'll let you know if I come across one.  Looks like a good straight machine from the ebay listing in your other post, I'd think the repainting should be pretty easy and it'll look sharp when its done...weren't you looking for a can stack though?

Pinballnut

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 10:53:07 pm »

tkaz-I was until I brought this home and figured out it only holds 49 cans... LOL   Guess that means there's a bottle machine out there in near future for me.   biggrin Only had to drive 10min. to get it.

Thanks for the info Collecture. One more newb question.. Which direction is off? clockwise or counterclockwise?

After taking a few shots it brought up a few more dumb questions. I know the door side should be white( I think ) What other colors are off?
I also noticed the bottle cap catcher isn't mounted. Going to have to look into how that mounts tomorrow after the scrub down.  All in all, I guess I can't complain about it because I've basically got zero dollars into it.

Here's a couple of quick and dirty pics of it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:56:59 pm by Pinballnut » Logged
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »

That's really not bad looking. The inside looks clean. I don't think it's such a bad thing to have a can stack.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:47:13 am »

That is a really cool machine. And I love the fact that it holds cans, which are much cheaper to buy. I would say that's an excellent machine to place out on the back patio for family and friends to use.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:52:38 am »

Nice machine! the can stack is very practical especially if you have little kids, ( no broken glass bottles) plus I've notice that can vendors are usually an easier "sell" to the little woman ( if one happens to be involved) .

Later, if you like, it's easy enough to covert it to a bottle stack down the road.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:44:19 pm »

One more newb question.. Which direction is off? clockwise or counterclockwise?

I think counterclockwise is off.
You should hear a faint click or feel a little resistence when it clicks off. There also should be a little bump in the mounting plate as an indicater. Just turn it all the way counterclockwise and plug it in - if the compressor and condenser fan start up, then turn it the other direction.
The fan inside the cabinet runs 24/7 when power is supplied to the machine - only the compressor and lower (condenser) fan are controlled by the T-stat.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 01:45:58 pm »

The thermostat is located just below your bottom shelf and does not have a dial. You need a screwdriver to set the dial.

Glen
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:44 pm »

Needs wood grain...

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pinballnut

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:44 pm »

Thanks for the T stat info all ! ! !   
Killroy - Can't do the woodgrain thing.... Just not me tounge

This things had a total repaint @ some point of it's life. My Body n paint man stopped by, to shoot the breeze, just as I was getting ready to scrub it down. He said it was a two stage paint and was shot pretty well.

Curiosity killed the cat.  I made up a concoction to see if I could remove the black paint. 1 1/2 - 2 hours later here's where I'm at. Should look even better after a compounding and wax.  I still need to head to lowes and get some Goo Gone to remove the adhesive remains from the decal I removed that was above the coin acceptor.

BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »

Welcome!!
And congrats on your 1st!!!
 happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
Pat Pixley
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:17 pm »

Needs wood grain...
  NEEDS WOOD GRAIN!!!!   Like the Monalisa needs a new coat of paint  oh ... What it needs is some CHROME .

Kilroy you Kill me  laugh .
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: