SMC Discussion Areas
June 17, 2024, 06:49:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39 w/ Water Fountain  (Read 4502 times)
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« on: August 29, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »

Ok Gents,
   I know there's tons of questions about the Vendo 39 and it seems to be one of the most popularly collected machineis...for some reason.  I have a friend of mine that has come across a 39 that has the water fountain attached to it.  The machine is all original and in working condition, no rust.  Couple questions I have are, did they actually ever come with water fountains attached, or was this something that was added by some joker and not done by the vending company?  That being said, what is the going rate for a machine such as this?  The asking price is $1200.  Good or bad???  As always, an info is greatly appreciated.  Sorry, no pics at the moment...maybe by this weekend.

Regards,
Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »

I believe  the fountains were added  by the  operator, and connected to a water supply, so no, it's not a joke.
Does it add value? not at all, unless you find a customer who wants a water fountain. 
$1200  seems a bit high in today's market,  maybe $750-900,  but hard to judge without pics. Is the inside clean and rust free? Paint faded? the usual questions...

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »

Yes as stated, the water fountains where added usually by the shop or store owner..

it must have been done once the shop owner purchased the machine or something, as I can't imagine Coke saying .. "Here, buy or product for 5-10 cents, or Have a drink of water for free".. just doesn't make sense..

1200 is high, unless it's a super nice original, that would not need body work/paint.. and could be refurbished as is?

general found condition, rough 750-900

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:56:19 pm »

You are all wrong! Coke machines were ordered just like cars of the era - with options!
Vendo, VMC, etc. sold "kits" and even sent out memos suggested quantities to have on hand (dolly kits, rain guards for the coin bezel, water fountains, coin box locks, vend counters, etc.)
The salesman would write up the order out in the field and submit it to the Coke plant, which in turn would (order the machine from Vendo if not in stock) and make all the specific modifications.
Attached is a scan from my VMC 3-D 33 manual showing the installation instructions for the Water Bubbler Kit (# 15466). If you look closely, you'll see the handle dolly kit on the back side peeking through the page. Now maybe some kits were sold outright and installed by the owner operator because I've seen some nice jobs and some sloppy jobs, but they were a real accessory manufactured for the machines.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:58:14 pm by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »

Well I'll be Damned...
It just doesn't make sense.. it's like Subway giving away free sandwiches outside their store before you go in?
Maybe I'll offer free insurance on our sidewalk, instead of having the client come inside ot purchase a policy?

Just weird? but can't deny the proof!

Thanks Tom,

Now I think that's two things I learned from you today... wow... feel like I'm in class..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 04:18:15 pm »

Grab this pebble from my hand Grasshopper!  laugh
One can learn a lot from manuals.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 04:39:35 pm »

Thanks guys.  From what I am being told, the exterior is in excellent condition, no paint fading, no rust, etc.  Sounds as though it were kept inside its entire life.  I've asked for pictures, as I knew you guys would be wanting to see them.  As soon as I can get some pics, I'll post them to see if it perhaps changes the assessment any.  I'll ask for pics of the water fountain as well in hopes of determining if it's an original fountain or an aftermarket add-on, also to see the quality of mount done.  Thanks again.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: