SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 12:33:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East Coast Earthquake  (Read 3143 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: August 23, 2011, 06:59:00 pm »

How are the Virginia boys doing? I didn't feel it at my shop in NJ, but almost everyone in our building felt it. Pretty uncommon on this side of the country, so thats all that has been on the news and radio up here... I am kinda disappointed that I didn't get to feel it as I haven't experienced one yet..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »

All clear inside the DC beltway...I've been working from home, so I was sitting in my basement watching the Weather Channel, since the hurricane might mess my trip to Cape Cod this weekend...first thing that threw me off was the coke bottles in my crate above the USS-64 started rattling, I thought the compressor was going!  So I jumped up to check it out, and after about 15s, I realized what was going on.  Dogs were freaking out, my cheeks were vibrating like I was driving down a dirt road, few things fell in the house but nothing big fortunately.

So my dogs were crazy all day, and I couldn't get them to settle down.  I've always been convinced that animals react way before humans on these deals, and it seemed to be very true today. 

Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:13 pm »

Glad you are ok. I felt one a few years back in Michigan. Not like today's though. I was in Chicago when it hit, but heard it was a 5.9. That's a good size quake!

Brian  happydrinkers
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:52:50 pm »

Here in VA it shook the house quite a bit. The news said it lasted about 45 sec. which seems about right. I was downstairs watching a baseball game. For the first 2 or 3 seconds I was about to yell at my son to stop jumping around upstairs. Then I started to realize what was going on. It was like you see on tv, the pendant lights swinging and pictures going all crooked. I looked outside and things in the ground were swaying back and forth. No damage that I can see here. Good thing it didn't last longer.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »

We had an aftershock of about 4.2 a little after 8pm. I barely felt it and heard it in my ears (like the pressure you feel in the car when one window is open.)

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:13 pm »

Glad to hear nothing serious happened ! ! !

On another note, I'm glad to see Hurricane Irene is bypassing the South Fla coast; however, those in N Carolina, VA and north may be in for a little wet weather this weekend... Where ever she's headed, I hope people bunker down and be safe!

My six cents,

Jim

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:11 pm »

Aftershock? Wow hopefully not many of those.. I was just in DC last week for a few days with the family. Tried to get up in the Washington Monument, but the nasty weather Thurs afternoon put a stop to that. Tried to catch a Nationals game on Fri and got a nasty storm through there.. Now the earthquake... here comes the Hurricane.. Whats left, volcano? I think Mother Nature is a bit happy with DC..  Oo
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:21:45 pm by bubba » Logged

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:16 pm »

We've had a whole summer of nothing...no real storms, and very dry.  I guess it all adds up now. 

Too bad you missed the Nats game on Friday night, walkoff grand slam to win it!

Now they are saying the top of the Wash. Monument is cracked: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/23/quake.landmarks.developments/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:05 am »

Im not much of a baseball fan, but the family we were with wanted to go and for the price you can't beat it. My family ended up leaving the park around 8:30 and got soaked running to the train. Friends stayed until end of 3rd inning. Never expected the game to start back up. I saw the gamme winner on tv

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: