SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 12:51:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Term Value, Your Thoughts?  (Read 3815 times)
Matt
10 Cent Member

« on: July 19, 2011, 12:50:47 am »

I grew up in the late 80s and early 90s--a time when sports cards (i.e. baseball, basketball cards) were popular. I remember visiting local card shops weekly with friends and spending hundreds of dollars on packs, trading/selling cards, buying the Beckett magazine, and so on. Of course all the card shops are long gone--out of business for many years. Many of the cards that were "valuable" in terms of cash back then just end up in my trashcan now when I clean house.

So that brings me to soda machines. We all have reasons for collecting them. For me, it's just "cool" and fun to own a piece of history. Unlike baseball cards, however, soda machines (especially restored) can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Now, I know that no one can look into the future. But what are your thoughts on vintage soda machines and their value 5, 10, and 20 years from now? What will a $6000 machine in 2011 be worth in 2031?

Vendo 81A
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 01:17:27 am »

I think first and foremost you need to buy because you enjoy and not to see it as a place to invest money.

The way the world is at the moment who can predict what's going to happen next year let alone 20 years time.

If you are looking to invest consider the people that will be buying in 20 yrs time. Those that will have the extra money in their
pockets will be mids 40's - 60. What was popular when they were growing up? Nostaligia is essentially an opportunity to
claw back some years and get the feel good factor of being young again. Or perhaps purchasing something you couldn't
afford when growing up.

You shouldn't have thrown those cards away. In 20yrs time they may have some value...
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:32:58 am »

Dave has nailed the big issues.

I feel your pain on BB cards. Most of mine are 50's/60's not worth much.
My later stuff is a fine collection of "stars" that indulged in whatever and will never make the hall of fame.
Bicycle spoke fodder. They made millions of cards doubt any will amount to anything.

My take on machines is the single vend small bottle only type will fade. Top of the line round top slant shelf will always sell.
Careful on spending big money for an over the top restoration.
Almost feel sorry for the people that spent thousands to restore a middle of the road car just to lose 40% at auction.

Square top lighted may take off at some point but not a given. In the year 2031 I'll be 70 and with any luck still babbling on SMC :-)
Creighton

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:06 am »

My first thougts on Baseball cards and such are this,, I Vintage Mickey Mantle card will always demand it's high value, because it was not made for the "Collectable Market", it was just a cool novelty you'd get in your bubble gum pack at the 5 and dime store.  Now come the 80's -90's and People are Collecting stuff and so cards and many other things are made for the collectable market, guess what they aren't collectable as hundreds of thousands if not millions where made.. Simple case of supply and demand..

I laugh every time I see something labeled Collectable.. If it is made to collect it will never be worth more than than the price you paid at walmart for it.

I love this article published in the "Onion" news paper, if not familiar with the onion, it's a satire publication which is in print and online.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/everything-in-entire-world-now-collectible,1508/

Now regarding soda machines, I think the vintage machines will always hold value, the Vendo 81's, and such... anyone who appreciates history and likes soda machines will always have a place for one in a collection... Just like Car guys , I"m talking big time collectors who collect 60's and 70's era muscle cars,, most of them have a 1930's Model T or sedan in the collection too...

I'm sure square tops will become more popular, but don't think they'll ever reach the value mark of what a restored V81 brings (avg $6,000) but even if they do I'm sure those collectors would still appreciate and older V81 or something like that...

so here is to the future of soda machines! happydrinkers

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
globalcompressors
Soda Jerks

Global Compressors (Eric)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:50:42 am »

I look at soda machine like collectable cars. When restoring them, they cost quite a bit
to put the back into "tip top" shape. I guess it depends on wheather or not you start with
a desireable machine/car. It costs just as much to restore a Cavalier 64 as it does to restore
a RC Cola 81. The Cavalier might be worth $1000-2000 as opposed to 10x more on the RC.

I think overall supply and demand will slowly raise prices. It's just natural. I predict that a
Cavalier USS 8 64 will be worth $8000 in 35 years! hahaha tounge

...and a loaf of bread will cost $200, gallon of gas...$375...and a Obama campaign poster,
as "America's best 1 term President"...priceless!  censored

how's that OBAMA CARE workin' out for ya?
oscar
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:11:26 am »

...and a Obama campaign poster,as "America's best 1 term President"...priceless!

You mean he's going to overtake Jimmy Carter? laugh
00Dawg
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »

I think Dave is right on.  A few years back old Star Wars stuff was fetching a premium price:  the movies were out bringing a new group of fans to the table, plus my generation suddenly had paying jobs and disposable cash.  Now it's cooled off, and will likely rebound again when we get closer to retirement age and the second wave of fans gets to the workforce.  Whether the new stuff that was produced in the gazillions will be worth as much is up in the air.  'Course, that all might depend on what our Chinese overlords allow as far as personal possessions.   glare tounge

Of course, some classics will always have appeal to all ages.  Guys want lever-action Winchesters, 30's roadsters, K-Bars, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: