SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 12:07:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal Square Top Pepsi Machine  (Read 3435 times)
Slyguy

« on: April 12, 2011, 02:55:54 pm »

For some reason it wont let me re-post.  I didnt get any action the first time i posted it, but i am hoping someone can shed a little light on this.

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,12354.msg94022.html#msg94022

Its an Ideal square top.  I know they arent worth much, and so far spare parts havent been easy to find. Just wondering if its worth the work.  What something like this is worth once restored, and any history anyone may know on these machines!

Thanks again for the help!
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »

Its early 60's (1961-62). Your right its not worth a lot but it is a great Garage machine and a great machine to own. I would not restore it for profit if I were you. You will not get your money out. If you are restoring for personal use then go for it. I have had machines painted at Maaco cheap and while not show quality they turned out nice. I hope this helped a little. Its a cool looking machine. It doesn't look like it needs any work.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:46:39 pm »

looks a lot like the VMC 88 and VMC 81 from the same era.
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »

Like Josh said, don't waste your money restoring it unless it's the machine your going to keep forever, you'll never get your money back out of it..
Not every vintage machine is worth restoring and you'll find that out over time, most of us have made mistakes in the past, puting money into a dog of a machine only to get burned on it later, by realizing it's not collectable... That is why this site was formed, to educate and inform...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
rayg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:06 pm »

It's looks like a nice daily user, I would just clean it up and enjoy it , that's what I did to mine.

1954 Stoner Senior
1964 United Orbit shuffle bowler   
1973 Cavalier USS-96
1976 Atari Night Driver
1979 Space Invaders Deluxe
1980 Centipede Cabaret (60in1)
1984 Williams Laser Cue Pinball
1993 IGT Wild Cherry Slot
1996 Police Trainer
2016 Visual Pinball Machine
Member : Michigan Mafia
Slyguy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

Thanks guys

I am really torn on this project.  The compressor and electrical is pretty nasty. The power cord is frayed, and even then, i have no idea if it will run
once i replace it.  The rest of the machine is complete(it appears so at least).  I only have $50 bucks into it as it stands.  I really dont want to replace the electrical, just to find out the compressor is shot. 

Is there any value in the parts? The coin mech is in great condition, as are the alluminum shelves. I would hate to part it out, but on the flip side I dont see myself keeping it long term.  If i can flip parts to fund an Ideal 55...then thats the route I would want to explore

Thanks again for all the help! I think I am worrying my girlfriend with my new found hobby, haha
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:57 pm »

Most machines have a plug comming right out of the compressor that plugs into a junction box. You can connect that into your extention cord to run the compressor. If it is working it will chill the whole box but will not shut off because you have bybassed the thermostat (shut-off switch).

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: