SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 06:28:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo Coin Changer Bezel Cracked  (Read 5203 times)
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« on: March 07, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »

I'm going to be sending out both the coin and coin return bezels for a VCC, but the coin return is cracked and offset approx 1/16" where the skinny part under the coin return(has Kansas City on it) meets the main casting.
Is there a way that this can be repaired prior to re-chroming...?
I realize this is pot-metal and cannot be welded, so what are my options...?

Also, anyone have spare parts, such as a slug rejector or just parts, and the cast piece the dime/quarter falls into activating the nickel drop. I'll update this after I review the manual to see exactly what may be missing/broken... Just wanted to see if anyone has parts, etc...

I can post a photo(s) tomorrow...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:53:11 pm by Jim » Logged

My six cents,

Jim

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:42:44 pm »

Jim,
I think a good chrome shop can repair the bezel, but I have no first hand experience having that done.

If you can email me a picture of the mechanism, I can tell you what is missing.

As far as a slug rejector and parts in general, they are far and few in-between. I have been trying to acquire like rejectors (i.e. same 200 series) and the only part I would need to fab is the roller arm on the scavenger blade. I'll check and see how many I have now. Any LD rejector will work for getting the coin to the coin block, but without the roller arm....scavenger functions will not be possible.

For the coin block, early models were made of wood (walnut I think) and they could be fabricated fairly easily. Later models had a cast aluminum block.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:49 pm »

Like Tom mentioned, a good chrome shop can repair the broken part.  But just in case you may want to check with Funtronics.  A while back they had reproduction bezels.  They were very reasonable on price also.

Tom,  The scavenger arm on mine has been "repared" it does work.  Do you have any?  It looks like it may not be to hard to make.  If you needed I have a machinist friend who can make some.

Marvin
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:58:31 pm »

I realize this is pot-metal and cannot be welded, so what are my options...?

In Hemmings motor news ( a car collectors "bible") you'll find many vintage car restoration/chrome shops that specialize in pot-metal repair. (it's actually brazing with aluminum, which melts at a relatively low temperature of 900-Degrees F.) they repaired my 348/V8 cross-flags on my hood emblem on my '59 El Camino this way (this was before they had the current reproductions available nowadays )

Just a thought..& here's a link to get you started if you like http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/servicesoffered/unspecified/unspecified/1192427.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:06:23 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:07 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll contact Craig at Speed & Sport; I'm sure he can braze the bezel back together...

I reviewed the VCC manual but have a difficult time seeing what is actually part of the Coin Block Sub Assembly and what may be missing...
I did include a photo of the coin block but am uncertain if something is wrong with it...?

The slug rejector has a couple of broken and/or missing parts...

Anyone having these parts

My six cents,

Jim

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »

Hi Jim,

For the coin block, it appears one of the threaded studs is missing. The coin block should have two identical studs sticking out (I only see one and what looks like a broken spot in the casting where the other one was). The studs stick through the mounting plate and have two brass rollers positioned over them followed by the ratchet plate (which appears missing) and secured with two 10-32 lock nuts.

Other than that, your changer appears complete.

I have the slug rejector part (it is the nickel/quarter scavenger plate - either send me the rejector and I'll replace it or PM me your address and I can send it to you.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »

Thanks Tom ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up