SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 01:44:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool new toy  (Read 8372 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:53:50 pm »

Wow that is some neat stuff! Have you found a flux capacitor in there yet? biggrin Radios are some fun things to work on I think. I got a few small tube radios from the 60's. Replaced the capacitor in one and got it working. Not just got to replace the capcitors in the other one.
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:21:34 am »

Nice stuff, Bubba!

Vendo_110, I just moved to Clovis, NM last month.  I'm at Cannon AFB.  Looks like I'm exactly 3 hours from Albuquerque, so we'll be heading over there pretty regularly to visit the "big city"!  I'll be back in town the end of October or early November.

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
JBVending

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »

The receiver is a Conelrad alert rx used after WW2 to prevent enemys from homing in on radio signals. Ham stations used them to be alerted to go off the air as did other am broadcast stations.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »

The receiver is a Conelrad alert rx used after WW2 to prevent enemys from homing in on radio signals. Ham stations used them to be alerted to go off the air as did other am broadcast stations.

Cool info. Thanks. So this is a signal jammer of some sort, or how did it work?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
JBVending

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:16:21 pm »

Its a monitor of AM broadcast and sets off alarm or alert when the stations go off the air. Then other stations such as ham on short wave will go off the air and monitor 640 or 1280 AM BC where the alert was broadcast. Was pretty neat back in the fifties, radio silence except for conelrad stations which broadcast for a few seconds then other stations from different locations would broadcast to keep enemy bombers from homing in on a major city. In the early sixties the emergency broadcast system took its place. If you Google Conelrad radio you will find a lot of info.

JB
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:12 pm »

Cool.. thanks.. I'll check it out. Thats one of the pieces I haven't researched yet. I have another load to post some pictures probably Thurs..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 08:01:30 am »

OK.. here is the next round of pictures.... I haven't had a chance to research any of this stuff other than the SAR handheld. As always, any info on this stuff is appreciated. If anyone has an interest in some of this let me know. There are a few pieces I want to keep, but some other pieces may end up at a HamFest soon.

Cool looking scope..

Decade amplifier and some kind of voltage output box. I like it because it has a "shock" button. Not sure what this does, but sounds cool.

Search and Rescue Radio - UHF (243.0 MHZ) VHF (121.5 MHZ) . A quick search showed this as a radio typically left inside rescue vehicles, life rafts, planes, and often carried by jumpers and infantry. I saw that if I power this unit up and key the mic, I may get a visit from SAR personnel. Supposedly the military stopped monitoring the frequencies by the end of 2009.. Inside is all micro tubes - not electronics. Pretty cool

Power Output meter

Heathkit SW band radio..

Grid Dip Meter?? Has some type of paper wheel on the top that turns. Have no clue what this is for.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 03:12:05 pm »

Hey bubba, some nice goodies there!  The top picture is an oscilloscope I'm pretty sure.  Used for radio alignments. 

I really like that SAR radio...an earlier version of what I'm used to flying with and have trained on MANY times over the last 20 years!  You are right, don't want to key that one on, as you will get some attention.  The signal still sets off alarms on the GUARD frequency, which causes folks to get excited and start looking for downed aircraft if you do it the right way.  If this one isn't a keeper for you, let me know!

Greg

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »

Nice! That was spendy gear in it's day. I'd be interested in the scope.
Thanks!
Creighton
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 06:34:13 pm »

Thanks guys.. the SAR radio is pretty sharp. I think I'm going to clean that up and put it on a shelf for now.. If plans change Greg, you get first shot at it.

Creighton.. Check your messages.. I was toying with the idea of taking the faceplate off and hanging it on the wall or something. I love the screen on it. The guy still has more stuff to bring in. I want to get through what he has and I've got an old friend that wants to look at this stuff-- just to reminisce a bit.. He is an 85 year old friend that has been into HAM radio and electric/ electronics over 60 years. He has been really enjoying the pics I send him and can't wait to see some of this stuff.  He is also making arrangements for me to pick up an old floor standing radio and a few old table top radios and miscellaneous parts from 2 of his old friends.. Should be getting that stuff next week some time.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: