SMC Discussion Areas
June 03, 2024, 12:25:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got a re-painting and re-chroming quote  (Read 8414 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

$500 is a great price. Handles/hinges and bezal are chrome. Lid is stainless steel. The 4 sides, top and undersides of the lids all have embossing. Will be pricey for someone to handpaint all of that. Problem is, at the end of the day WE-6's are only worth $300 tops.
Thats why I have just left mine as is. Would like to see pictures if yours does get a full restore.
Thanks!
Creighton

jnapp18
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:35 am »

300 restored???.. mybe 300 unrestored.. i paid 200$
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:54 am »

Creighton is right on. Westinghouse chests are VERY common, non coin operated, time consuming to restore($$$) and take up too much floor space to be desireable for home units.
        Even if you get this cheap restoration done, you will still be $700 into it. No way for you to come out of it ahead, at least not in this decade. You can take the advice from the guys in this post or you can learn the hard way like the people trying to sell these restored machines on e-bay or Craigslist. It's an expensive learning experience.  darn
        On the same subject, your 39 and 81 are nice original machines. They will maintain a much better value left as is, or with a high quality paint job, but will be worth less with a cheap restoration.

Glen
Vendo_110
10 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:06:24 am »

I understand why some of the people are telling you to be wary but I still say if the guy can show you current work, or pics of previous work, and you like it then go for it.

Just like you may not get the money you are putting into it because times are tough and the market is down, people need work and business in general is down.  Your painter may be feeling the economic pinch and may be giving you a legit good deal.

Either way, let us see some after pics!  Good luck on it!  biggrin

Vendo 110 (Coke)
Vendo 56A (Coke)
Cavalier C-51 (Coke)
Cavalier C-72 (Coke)
VMC H56C Transitional (Dr Pepper)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:15:38 am »

Well said !

Not everyone is in out to buy  a machine to flip. If you like it, want it resdone, and cqan afford it,  then do it. In the grand scheme of life, it's your call.
Check his work, I'd hate for you to be taken. 

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
jnapp18
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »

Exactly.. I'm not looking to flip it at a all. just a nice piece i can have with me forever!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 07:31:13 am »

On my NK cooler I traced the letters, scanned the tracings then had vinyl letters cut out... shot the cooler a off white first, put the vinyl
masking letters on, shot the whole thing red, then peeled the vinyl off and was left with SWEET, PERFECT white lettering , the only way to do it!

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 09:12:28 pm »

I think Rod at Funtronics sells the precut vinyl for that cooler, paint on the white first, after dry /cure put on the decal, paint red, after dry, pull the decal off then clear to get rid of the lip that is left behind.
I've seen Rods results , looks awesome.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: